Words of Inspiration?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Sanders, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

What were your words of inspiration?

In the pub earlier I was in a conversation with some girls about txt msgs guys have sent and it reminded me of an old girlfriend.

When I was at uni I had to write a dissertation, anyway last minute as usual I had to pull an all nighter to make the deadline, anyhow, just as I was feeling like giving up and going to bed for a few hours, I got a txt off her saying, "I know you are feeling tired and low, but remember I love you and I believe in you", she knew prior how stressed I was about it (self-inflicted) but that really picked me up, I finished my dissertation and ended up getting a really good mark for it.

She later slept with two guys behind my back, but at least getting my dissertation in on time meant she had some positive influence on my life!!
  2. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Thats harsh... was it the lass we were taliking about on Friday?

My ex just tricked me into feeling guilty and that I should have done my works weeks ago instead of l;eaving it to the last minute!

Now my mum does it instead.

Guess I realy shouldn't leave things to the last minute.... that reminds me, need to do some X-mas shopping before X-mas eve... again.
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'd arranged a few things in my time but nothing actually important, and I'd never had any time constraints, or pressure to succeed. If it was rubbish, that'd come out in the bandroom, and I got to take it home and re-write it.

We had a concert with a choir and wanted a couple of joint items to finish with. One was easy, we played "keep smiling through" and they sang along to all the old tunes, but the other was a song there was no brass arrangement of in the correct Key. I was given a piano score, and a week. I was starting to doubt my own abilities and wonder if I should pass it to one of the music students in the band after the first night. I even had it in my pack at the next practice.

JR (then our MD) asked when it'd be done, and out band manager told him I was working on it. I was about to say I was struggling and wasn't sure I was up to it, but before I could, he looked back at me and said, "Well, we can consider that one done then." and left it at that. I was a little shocked, but it did the trick.

It's amazing what it does when people have faith in you, which my band clearly did. I went back home and pitched into it, and it turned out, in my opinion, to be one of the best thought-out and musically "right" arrangements I'd ever managed. To think I almost jacked it in.
  4. julestools

julestools Active Member

From a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at Shrewsbury Royal Hospital, about three weeks after my motorcycle accident.

"A lesser man would have been dead"

It didn't make me feel better at the time but it sure does now.

Now I realise how lucky I was. :)

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

When deciding recently to "do something about my size" I told my hubbie I was "going to make my body my temple..."

His reply...."It's quite a big temple...more like a cathedral..."
    Am I now determined to show him or what!
  6. julestools

julestools Active Member

How many times have you heard a bloke say size doesn't matter. I lost three stone in six weeks but would not advise anyone to try it my way. Still recovering. :(

Nice car. Bit like mine but smarter.

7. "make her memory the reason why you live, not the reason why you gave up."

The wise words said to me after the death of my friend helen 2 years ago. I remember them every day.
  8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

It was yes, she seems sweet and innocent, everyone falls for that, like I did, guess thats why I cant even look her in the face now??
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A good one is "When looking for an answer, make sure that it starts with the right question"
  10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I don't like zen statements like that! Mostly you can't tell until long afterwards whether it was the right question, whether you got the right answer, if there was indeed an answer, or if you should have been asking any questions at all.:redface:
    Generally my inspirations have been, "If you don't ask you don't get", "life's a bitch and then you die", "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you".

Having got the cynical bit out of the way, my friend Jo has been an inspiration to me since her younger son was severely handicapped by a nasty bout of meningitis last year. She has good days and bad days like we all do, but she keeps going in the face of some tremendous hardship. I pray I never have to face anything that hard.
  11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

A banding colleague always says

"There's no such word as can't"

However, I do seem to prove her wrong a lot!! :confused:
  12. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

On behalf of my mate Neil: "Champions aren't made in the gym, they're made from something deep inside them: A dream, A vision." Said by Mohammed Ali before the so called fighting he could never win.

"The only difference between dreams and accomplishments is purely desire." Said by himself.

On Behalf of my friend Fran: "If we live by an eye for an eye we'll all become blind" Mohatma Ghandi
  13. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Even more from Neil (he's on a role today)

"Victory belongs to those who believe in it the most and believe in it the longest." Colonel Dollitle(headed the Dollittle raid after Pearl Harbour)

''freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedommmmmmmmmmmm'' (William Braveheart Wallace)

"The road to success is always under construction" From Fran (Again)

Neil Again: "Impossible is nothing" Adi Dasler
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I also like "You can take away my life, but you'll never take away my Australian accent!" from the same film.

"Worry does not allay tomorrow's fear, but saps today of its joy." Oscar Wilde.
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

"A great film, very well made, involving, well acted, great script. It is, alas, almost entirely fiction, and it is unfortunate that people will grow up beleiving it to be true..."
    My European History lecturer at LMU (Himself a scot.)

And my personal favourite (getting away from braveheart,) which sits very nicely alongside the principles of this website...

"Though I disagree violently with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it." (Voltaire.)
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

As everyone knows I am not the most serious of chaps but this will always stick with me. It was given to me by a teacher when I was about 16 and being kicked out of secondary school and despite acting like I couldnt care less I have looked at it occasionally ever since......

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

That and my other personal fave... ****'em all
  17. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

My music teacher used to tell me, "If you're going to make a mistake do it properly and make a big mistake!" At least it shows your confident..........even if you aren't quite right! :)