woolfendens gallimaufry

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by darklow, Oct 2, 2009.

1. darklow

darklow New Member

does anybody know if a brass band arrangement of Woofenden's gallimaufry exists? and if so where can i buy it?

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I hate to say this on tmp, but I really hope nobody has done this arrangement. Gallimaufry is an amazing piece for the wind orchestra and uses all the timbres, textures, ranges and instruments available to one of these ensembles. I am sure an arrangement could be done, but I don't think it SHOULD be - it works too well as a wind band piece and would (in my opinion) lose a huge amount of what makes this piece truly excellent if the soundscape of the wind orchestra was removed.

This is one of my favourite wind orchestra pieces and, for me, is one of the very few that works specifically for that ensemble.
  3. darklow

darklow New Member

ha ha no prob cheers man, tis not for me, i work in a music shop and a customer was looking to order it,

thanks anyway!
  4. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Gotta agree with trumpetmike here, I am playing it with a wind band at the moment and can't really imagine it working for brass!
    However, a quick Google search came up with this http://www.bandsman.co.uk/brass027/msg00377.htm
    Hope it helps!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

But that's an original by Philip Harper ... :rolleyes:
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member