Woodwind and Brass

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Immense_Mark, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Immense_Mark

Immense_Mark Member

Hey everyone

Im a grade 8 sop player, but also plays the saxophone. Ive been playing the saxophone for 3 years and am doing my grade 8 in easter. Recently ive experienced some problems with my sop playing, in that, i cant play as well as i can. I have been thinking that my playing declining slightly is because of my woodwind playing, but ive never been sure.

Has anyone else here had the problem of embechoure ( i know its a sp. ) with woodwind and brass? If so any advice?

Cheers.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Hey
    Im
    Ive
    grade
    Woodwind
  3. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

An interesting one, and not something I can give expert advice on. Having said that, the embouchure is not just the lips, but also surrounding muscles including cheek and jaw. I suppose there is a possibility that the playing of one wind instrument can interfere with the playing of another. There again, Glynn Williams can perform successfully from sop to Bb Bass.

4. Immense_Mark

Immense_Mark Member

Yea but he has that so called "perfect embechoure", lucky sod

5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I used to play trumpet and Euph at uni, found it dead hard to adjust my embochure for each 1. so I packed in the euph (i wasn't dead good on it anyway) I also used to play a bass crumhorn! which uses the embochure in a totally differet way to that for the trumpet, also this was a night mare, really interfered with my playing. However this is just my own personal experience and I really am no expert on saxophones at all!!!
    Good luck with it all anyway!!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I know a lot of people who've successfully combined brass and woodwind, although most have generally been on the larger brass instruments rather than soprano cornet. There are certainly a number of clarinet and saxophone players in the SA who play bass in their corps bands ;)

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Playing both brass and woodwind myself, I can safely advise that the more you swap, the more you get used to changing the embourcher (not sure of spelling on that myself! :lol: )
    Everyday practise... swap constantly... you'll get the hang of it ;-)
    I've heard some people "claim" that it's impossible or that it will ruin your playing etc, but that's a load of rubbish... I know people who went through the Marines swapping between clarinet, flute, sax and trumpet with no problems whatsoever.

Anyhoo, good luck for ya grade 8 sax :)

8. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Lots of my friends in school played woodwind and brass inc. myself. I took my grade 8's on sax and tuba within a month of each other during A-levels so I figure it must be possible :) ...although agree with Peter that the majority of us doing so played a larger brass instrument, no sop players.
    Good luck for the exam :)

9. Immense_Mark

Immense_Mark Member

I do believe it is possible, but i think that the fact that i play sop, which is a very small mouthpiece, could be one of the problems. As you said, you did grade 8 sax and then tuba, but i think that when i play my sax it weakens my embechoure or something, making me unable to play on such a small mouthpiece.