Wondering....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Valentina, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Hey, new here. Just wondering if there are Some people from Belgium? Maybe they can give me a short guidance?

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. I don't recall there being anyone from Belgium on the forum but there certainly are some, a small percentage from continental Europe, and then there are similar amounts from North America. Your location isn't that crucial really and I hope that you enjoy using the forum.

Jack E likes this.
  3. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Allright!

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Valentina!

One point which often baffled me to start with is that American posters often use the word 'horn' the way British posters use the word 'instrument'. If a British poster uses the word 'horn' they mean 'tenor horn' - which Americans call an 'alto horn'. You can see why Winston Churchill once described the British and the Americans as "two races divided by a common language" o_O :confused:

So when an American musician says 'horn', it could be a piccolo cornet, a trombone, a euphonium or a Bb Bass! :D

With best regards,

Jack

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  5. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Well Jack E,

Let me tell you that I prefer British English and I do defenitly prefer British humour!
    Thank you for welcoming me. Although my English isn't that spectacular, I'll do my verry best.
    It's quite a good exercise though.

So, I played like 20 years the trumpet and after that I moved to the euphonium section. But thinking about to go back.

Cheerio

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Jan H, who was a Moderator on tMP, is from Belgium and plays flugel horn in a fanfare band. He's not on here as much as he used to be but pops in every so often.