Women in Brass Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LadyBrassBand, Dec 17, 2014.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Yes, it was an interesting thread and no the OP disappeared, maybe in a convenient huff or maybe 'she' couldn't accept another person's ideas. I really wonder whether SteveTrom hit the nail on the head in post number two, but the topic was interesting anyway.

Michael Walls likes this.
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    movement.As
    Brass Bands HelloI
    bit
    Women
    movement
  3. Michael Walls

Michael Walls New Member

I agree

4. LadyBrassBand

LadyBrassBand New Member

No the original poster didn't appear again. Not because they are a 'troll' but because they were shot down in flames both on this page and in pms by all the regular contributers that crawl out of the woodwork on every occasion possible.
    Clearly there is no room for debate on these pages and nothing has improved for women in brass bands in the last few years.
    You won't be seeing me posting here again.

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

you received no PM from me LadyBrassBand

2nd tenor and Michael Walls like this.
  6. 2nd tenor

Those are very harsh words and IMHO not particularly constructive. In all the time I've posted on this forum I've never received an unpleasant PM, that's not because I've never said anything contentious but because it's exceptionally rare behaviour - never even heard of it before.

If you have something to say about any subject then I suggest that you say it in a pleasant way and develop a little thicker skin to cope with those who disagree. The forum is moderated and when things get out of hand, as very occasionally they have in the past, then the mods do step in and sort things out. I suggest that you report any unpleasant PM's to the mods too.

Why not prove the idea wrong, why not post on tmp in a constructive way and show the forum that you are genuine?

7. LadyBrassBand

LadyBrassBand New Member

No. I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else for that matter.
    The only reason I even came back here was that after what 2 years away I have started receiving e-mails from this stupid website to say people are commenting.
    Quite frankly if people want to spend their time on these childish websites then they are welcome to do so, but I actually have a life to live.
    I will be setting anything from this website as spam so I won't get anymore email.
    And this really is the last time you will see me.

8. 2nd tenor

What a poor reply. Having complained about comments you received you haven't the courage or conviction to post something constructive. This is a brilliant site and it's a privilege to use it. Walk away from it if you want - it's your loss not ours - but I'd far prefer that you stayed, contributed to and benefited from it as so many others do and have in the past.

9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel like this LadyBrassBand. I'm also sorry you had mean private messages. For what it's worth I did too but only from one gentleman who is rather "old fashioned" in his views about women in general. I think he is very much in the minority as most posters are respectful even if the topics sometimes become heated. I hope you reconsider but I wish you well whatever your decision.

Jack E, Michael Walls and 2nd tenor like this.
  10. 2nd tenor

I would think that most of the active members will be able to have a fairly accurate guess about who the 'one gentleman' is and his original account was eventually closed by the mod's. He upset quite a few people over the years - pity 'cause sometimes his comments were interesting instead of adversarial - and the vast bulk of them were men.

The way you dealt with that individual provides a good role model for any member to follow, as do your other posts too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 6:45 AM
  11. Michael Walls

Michael Walls New Member

I fear her post has not endeared her to many.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    movement.As
    Brass Bands HelloI
    bit
    Women
    movement
  13. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Im wondering whether there is more to this story than the OP is letting on - have they (or someone close to them) been "overlooked" by a band for example. If the OP does as they have suggested and will never be back I guess we will never know.

Sexism was a big issue in banding - especially at the higher levels - as recently as the 1980s & 1990s. I was part of the City of Manchester (ex CWS) band which voted to admit women in '88 and it was a very close and very contentious vote - a sizeable minority of the band walked out during that meeting, never to return. I can also remember all-male lineups at Brighouse & Grimethorpe.

However I would say in the main that's all in the past. I also am fairly sure there are little pockets still existant here and there - from patronising comments to being "stuck" on lower parts etc. There are an increasing number of female "stars" - Jayne Murrill, Simone Rebello, Helen Williams, Sheona White (as was) Marieka Gray, etc. as well as the first females in top level banding some of which are still playing - Carole Hirst (Crompton) has just gone to Flowers on Baritone, I saw last night

There are still some areas to improve - MD positions are still mainly male at the top end, although I think that is more because so many of the "top name" MDs were top players in the all-male age (pre Mid 90s) than bands wanting only to employ men. Likewise you don't see many top end female bass players, or even Euph players for that matter - but there are a lot of females making a serious name on other instruments.
    And the majority of bandsmen of course play for lower section bands, where the problem was always less of an issue indeed if ever existant in living memory. My own local band had women in it when I started playing 40 years ago - and some of those players are still in the band now - and my own contest band has 16 female members out of a total of 28, and our female contingent hold the Principal Cornet, Sop, Rep, Flugel, Solo Horn, both tenor trombones, the entire Euph/Bari section, and principal percussionist seats as well as having a female Eb Bass.....

14. 2nd tenor

However I would say in the main that's all in the past. I also am fairly sure there are little pockets still existant here and there - from patronising comments to being "stuck" on lower parts etc. There are an increasing number of female "stars" - Jayne Murrill, Simone Rebello, Helen Williams, Sheona White (as was) Marieka Gray, etc. as well as the first females in top level banding some of which are still playing - Carole Hirst (Crompton) has just gone to Flowers on Baritone, I saw last night.

This thread is so old and so large that the following points might have already been made but it does seem to me that gender is not really a factor in the ability to play any Brass or percussion instrument in the band.
    # Trinity Girls' Band is all female (as per the name) bar the conductor (their choice) who is male, see: Band Members | Trinity Girls . TGB are off to Cheltenham this year to contest in the 3rd section.
    # TGB's BBb Bass players look tiny compared to their male counterparts, but no doubt manage perfectly well - though I can't imagine that they march with them.
    # A Championship Section band that I happen to know of either has or has had Tuba, Bass Trombone (typically heavy and hard to hold), Principle Trombone and Principle Euphonium players. To me that demonstrates that the Ladies can play the heaviest and most physically demanding instruments at the highest levels; gender just isn't an issue anymore, selection is based on ability and commitment.

I'm not sure that this thread hasn't virtually run its course. The only question in my mind is whether the OP was genuine or not, and I don't expect that we will ever know the answer to that.

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It was intersting watching the recent Australian championships, where they seemed to have a higher proportion of women conductors, including one of the seven top section bands.

Michael Walls and Euphonium Lite like this.