Woe Me!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kerwintootle, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I've broken a bone in my shoulder (the greater tuberosity, which sounds like a cheesy tuba solo but is in fact a bone) whilst wrestling with Christmas decorations.

Although not a direct plug for sympathy, (though some would be nice) I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me anything about this type of fracture as the Dr Doogie Howser I went to see didn't have a clue and told me nothing. I can't drive or lift my left arm to play my cornet does anyone know how long this will last?

Cheers dears

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Awww no! Poor you! Hope it mends soon!

Dawn x x x

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock: sounds painful... hope you heal up soon!!! 4-6 weeks is a long tiome.... Hope it eases up soon so you're playing again in no time :)

best wishes

5. Hollie

Hollie Member

Ouch! Sounds nasty!
    How you get better soon!!!!

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Oh no, that sounds terrible, i hope your better soon.

heres to a speedy recovery.

craig

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

oh no!!!! hope you have a quick recovery alex!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

8. Heather

Heather Member

I had a problem with my shoulder some time ago and it was excruciatingly painful. The doctor I spoke to told me shoulder pain was one of the most painful.......and I certainly agreed!
    Hope its soon better and not too painful for you,

9. eirian

eirian New Member

Poor you I'm sure that hurts quite a bit. Were you drunk when this happened? Please don't be offended if you weren't. Worked in a+e for a year and this type of injury tended to occur when people fell when drunk (including an 80 year old celebrating his birthday) and people who came off their bicycles.
    My advice is dose yourself up on painkillers (Your body does not have to suffer if you don't like taking tablets (another common myth)). You may find that within two weeks that you can manage gentle movements if your lucky (dependant on the displacement of your fracture and number of bits you got it into.) 4-6 weeks is a nice round figure that apply to most fractures and probably a more realistic goal.
    If you have follow up with the orthopaedic crew then ask them all the questions you like thy're usually keen to show how clever they are.
    In the meantime painkillers and lots of sympathy will make you feel better.
    All the best
    Eirian

10. jd

jd Member

You complete numpty.
    How did you manage that again. Xmas decorations in 30 degree heat? Yeah right.
    You were drunk werent you Kerwin.

Still missing you. Gis a smile,

John.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    some
    tuba solo
    decorations
    plug
    type
  12. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

My sympathies are with you !

Putting my nursy hat on I echo the words of Eiran above - will be about 4-6 weeks I reckon before you get full mobility back. In the meantime , I reccomend Ibuprofen as the best painkiller for this type of pain ( make sure you take it on a reasonably full stomach and use with caution if asthmatic ). Not sure how it will affect playing - depends if fracture is on your valve hand side or not , but I'd of thought ( and not an expert here ) its probably more important to keep your lip in one way or another than to worry too much about fingering ability ( keep it clean with the comments people).
    Hope you are back to form soon though.

13. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Ha JD you made me laugh. And no, I wasn't inebriated lol, I was stood on a chair tugging at some awkard tinsel and turned to bicker at my daughter about some advert we'd seen on the telly and I fell off and landed in a most undignified manner. Honest, guv! It took a week to find out I had broken it as the xray place was shut and the casualty people thought I was a wuss and that I'd be fine in a day or two.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, although I bet I've convinced no-one that I wasn't drinking! lol.

14. jd

jd Member

I know AK.
    Just thought it was funny that everyone has sympathy for you and i am laughing my ass off. I broke my ankle last year. Had plates and pins put in. I have never had so much stick in all my life.

Keep smiling. I found a large bottle of meths and the cheese board (from xmas) stopped the pain for me.
    Maybe consider a crate of special brew. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

xx

15. brass journo

brass journo Member

Take care Alex and no more accidents before March!!!

Anyway, I thought your kids are old enough for child labour now! it should be them taking the decorations down whilst you and Simon sit drinking wine!!!!
    see you in a few weeks!!

Tabbs

16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Cheers JD, missing you mate!

See you soon Tabbs!

17. Rob

Rob Member

No John Doyle, I was distraught when you broke your ankle (especially when I heard it was school kids that did it to you, I thought you were harder than that). But at least it served as a good excuse though for, hmmmmmm..... what about 6 months?? If anyone needs evidence of the pain, stress and physcial and mental hardship just listen to a certain Wagner-influenced test piece recording.... :) Love you mate

18. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Ha ha, priceless! Yodel -eh- he- hoo!!!!!! Me and Doyley, the Swiss yodellin' champions. (AK th'Open Venus 2003)