WMBBA contest cancelled.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by marksmith, Sep 16, 2012.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

After seeing the announcement on 4barsrest, that this year's contest has been cancelled, I was wondering how individuals feel about this?
    The decision to take the contest to Pershore was debated last year, and the post-contest 'opinion' (according to the Association press release) , was that it had been a successful move (previously held at Leamington Spa).
    Many people questioned this outcome in post-contest discussion, but it seems that our prior concerns about moving it from it's spiritual home, had fallen on deaf ears at Association level.
    The subsequent decision to move it's calendar position, has proved to be a further error in terms of understanding the mood of some bands and their members, regarding these drastic changes to the face of West Midlands banding.
    This contest is pivotal to maintaining the profile of Brass Banding in our area, and the decision to cancel it - particularly at such short notice, is damaging beyond repair to the integrity of the Association and it's seemingly short-sighted committee.
    If the needs and desires of it's member bands are to be acknowledged at any time in the future, stop ignoring the concerns of outsiders, stop making decisions based only on financial foundations, and realise that what we had at Leamington was established and respected nationally, that's what we need back.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WMBBA
    Kray
    Ian
    Kray-style gangsta
    WMBBA contest
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Very well said Mark;
    The WMBBA Committee only have themselves to blame on this ;
    Moving a contest from what was a GREAT venue was not a good move and backfired on them and they went ahead with there HOTHEADED decision.
    I really hope they think about what gets said on here in the future for next year.

4. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

We at Shirley had considered entering, but given we've just attended Wychavon, felt that it was too short a time period to get a test piece up to an appropriate standard. Sad to see the contest cancelled though and hope it is reinstated soon.

5. davidsait

davidsait Member

I'd query that the venue at Leamington is great (changing facilities?), but I guess there's worse.

It's a shame that the contest has been cancelled this year - from my Warwick days I do have a soft spot for it.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Very true the changing facilities are not the best probably the only moan about the venue;)

7. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

In fairness, the contest had declined somewhat from 10-15 years ago. One year when I was on the committee there were 40+ bands across 4 sections and it was a really good social occasion too. Hardly any of the local Championship and 1st Section bands have entered for various reasons for many a year and a lot of the atmosphere had gone. The last time I played there, the hall and bar and even the local pubs were almost deserted. The contest calendar is quite crowded in November and the resurgance of the Leicester Contest seems to have had a massive impact on entries and it is difficult to make the contest economically viable when the entry is less than 20. I don't want to point any fingers, but there was a bit of inertia a few years back and perhaps opportunities to enhance the contest were lost.

8. Pav

Pav Member

The bar used to close during the 1st section. How were changing facilities the only issue with the Spa centre?

9. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

The Gloucestershire Brass Band Association is still accepting entries for their contest on the 18th of November to be held in Ross-on-Wye, if any bands are looking for a different contest to enter.

Full details on http://www.gbba-online.org.uk/contests.html

10. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Im sure the WMBBA may reply formally, but as I personally know, the contest at Leamington was run as a loss making concern for a few years (as this was the preferred venue)- the hire costs of the Spa Centre rose dramatically. Given that the association doesnot have a bottomless pit of money, it cannot of course keep running loss making events.

The hire costs of venues affects all contest organisers - just ask Lesley Bentley how long the Midlands Area team looked for a suitable (and affordable) venue.
    There are many 'great' venues around, but please consider that these are in many cases expensive to hire. How long since the Leicester contest was at De Montfort halls instead of the school? You also have to consider availability, catering / changing facilities, parking, administration facilities etc.

If people know of a way that the association can run a 'break even' contest at Leamington, then I am sure that comments would be gratefully received. Or perhaps volunteer to be a committee member and help out with the challenging task or organising a contest? People were welcome (but unwilling) to attend the publicised AGM earlier this year where all the finances / issues etc were discussed

The WMBBA has worked hard over the last few years to provide more events and benefits to bands (Youth training days, funding seminars, conductors workshops etc.) - I'm very sad to see people slating their hard workf and efforts. Please consider your comments on public forums. I am sure that people who put a lot of time and effort into organising events (that are not for their own benefit or profit) can get very upset at being called 'hotheaded' or 'short sighted'

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

No i dont thinks its HOTHEADED at all:
    I bet the WMBBA lost EVEN A BIGGER amount last year !!!!!
    They just did not listen to what was been said on this site or took any notice of it.
    I spoke to a number of friends at the contest last year and said they would not be going this year due to the move to WORCESTERSHIRE !!!!!!!!
    Now is WORCESTERSHIRE in the WEST MIDLANDS ???????
    Come on backrowbloke im sure you know that !!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WMBBA
    Kray
    Ian
    Kray-style gangsta
    WMBBA contest
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Great post:clap:

14. marc71178

marc71178 Member

As treasurer I'll take that bet and win comfortably. The simple fact is that if the contest had been held at Leamington for another year, the association would've folded due to running out of funds.

What, you mean apart from when you were repeatedly asked for suggestions as to where it could be held to which you were completely unable to?

People were invited to come along to meetings or provide alternatives but all we got was whining.

It's as much in the West Midlands as Leamington is as I told you in the past but that you refused to acknowledge.

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

A noble effort to supply the subject with information and reason Marc, but the very fact that this thread exists in the first place shows that reason and logic are playing second fiddle to passion and rhetoric here.

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

If we're thinking outside the box a little, a time of the year that often seems undersupplied with contests that we can get to is June/July. A contest in early July would enable us not to lose momentum after May as we often tend to. I suppose running contests then is a potential gamble - one is starting to get into summer holidays.

17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

What planet are you on matey???
    You must have a different map book to what other people have!!!
    People went to the meeting but you TOOK NO NOTICE of what was been said as the venue had already been sorted out taking a guess and YOU were not going to change it no matter got said by anyone.

18. marc71178

marc71178 Member

So show me your map book then, the one where Leamington is in the West Midlands and Pershore isn't?

Oh really, I would love to know how you know this seeing as I was at the meetings so know who was there and you weren't (neither was anyone else who isn't on the committee)

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

It was a waste of time having a meeting ;
    You had ALREADY made your MINDS UP the contest was going to be moved !!!!!

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I think you ought to go along to Leicester Contest to see how a contest is run in the right manor:clap:.

21. Pav

Pav Member

In a school as opposed to an expensive hall? Why didn't they think of that.

22. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Is the Leicester contest now in a Stately Home? or did I misread ^^