With pipe organ

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davonium, Jan 31, 2004.

1. davonium

davonium New Member

Dear People,
    I've just discovered this cool site! What fun. Our band is looking for an arrangement of a hymntune with pipe organ accompaniment. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks. :?:

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

How about "Be Still My Soul" from Sibelius' Finlandia?

3. NeilW

NeilW Member

Remember organs are often "in their own key" - I think getting them into tune with themselves is hard enough!

Winchester Cathederal organ used to be somewhat flat (they may have corrected it) and we always had to tune to it. (good job it wasn't sharp!)

Neil.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What site?

Philip Wilby did a few (I think) for the Black Dyke CD 'Cathedral Brass'. (Some published by Music for Brass, some by Kirklees Music) In any case, why not arrange your own (providing the original hymns are out of copyright) from a standard hymn book? Most brass band hymn books have their hymns in different keys from the keys you see in most hymn books, but arranging your own FROM a standard hymn book will ensure that you both play in the same key (organ tuning permitting - brass band tuning permitting!)

And for any Christmas music you want, Ray Steadman Allen arranged the David Willcocks Carols for Choirs Carols and descants to be used by brass alone or with choir/organ (published in the UK by Rosehill Music). Bit early for Christmas, I know, but in case it's the info you want... ;-)

Hope this helps

Regards

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Reading Town Hall organ is a good one - it was built in sharp pitch towards the end of the 19th century, but was converted to modern pitch in the 40s by adding a bit of extra tubing to each pipe. A few years ago it was restored under the supervision of an over-zealous organ purist who insisted that they remove all the extra bits of tubing. Consequently, although an impressive beast, it's now unplayable in a group, as it is approximately a quarter tone sharp! I played in a concert in there with the Oxford Sinfonia a couple of years ago, and we had to use a portable keyboard with an organ sound...

Dave

6. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Maybe you could take some toilet roll tubes, some sticky back plastic and a blue peter presenter with you next time, then you can make the tubes longer again! :wink:

Sorry, off topic, but I'm sitting in the common room with nothing better to do!

By the way, I think the earlier suggestion of arranging your own hymn tunes is a good idea, because more times than I care to remember I have been in a band, and when coming to the pre-concert rehearsakl on the day, discovering the organ music and band music are in different keys... :(

Also, you could try www.sibeliusmusic.com for any arrangements people have already done for brass band and organ, I'm sure there must be some somewhere on there.

7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Was gonna say the brass band arrangement of Saint- Saens organ concerto is fantastic. However it is not hymn- like in the slightest.

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Gordon Langford's arrangement of "The Lost Chord" comes with an organ part. We've used it a couple of times and it's very effective. We've also done "Procession to the Minster" with organ, which is amazing but generally needs the organ all stops out at the end! There's no part for it as far as I know, my brother is a part-time church organist and played it from memory.
    I have a recording somewhere of the NYBB playing the last two movements of "Suite Gothique" with organ, again excellent.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I seem to recall reading that Peter Graham's arrangement of "Swedish Hymn" (How Great Thou Art) had recently been performed in concert by brass and organ, but whether the organ part is generally available I don't know.

If the event does take place, please make sure that you tune to the organ beforehand, and play the whole concert at that pitch. I've been in too many concerts where the band tries to retune in the middle to line up with organ or piano, and the aural percepton is very strange, as the ear has been used to listening to one pitch and can find it hard to adjust, no matter how well the retuning has been done.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We have quite a special organist in Kidlington parish church; this wouldn't deter him from joining in. He'd just pull out those Clarion stops and overrule our key!

Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dear People
    Thanks.
    pipe organ accompaniment
    pipe organ Dear People
    arrangement
  12. Yeah Phillip Wilby uses it sometimes.... I think Dove Descending also has written a pipe organ in it... But not exactly a hymn tune :lol: