Wishes For 2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by critic, Dec 27, 2004.

1. critic

critic Member

As this year comes to a close i wonder what people will hope for in the new year. The band movement has many problems to solve but also many fine things to look foreward too. THe area contests the Grand shield the Masters to name a few. which bands will come to the fore and make there mark in2005. The lower sections too have plenty to look foreward too and im sure there are plenty readers with there own thoughts and hopes for the year to come. As usuall there will be many who for one reason or another have there hopes knocked back but i think it will be a exiting year for many in our fine movement. LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    few.
    area
    close
    fore
    things
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well i just hope that i do not come in early for the area test piece next year on Comedy like i did this year on Coventry Variations.:-(
    Bar 287 came in a semiquaver to early.which caused the band to go into a mini panic for 2 bars and a scouling look from our conductor to me:-(,first time it as ever happend and i will make sure it will never happen again!!!
    2005 AREAS can not come fast enough for me as Comedy is one of my favorite pieces:-D
    look out Baritone sections at the midland 1st section we are after you!!:)

4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Shame your not playing at the Northern Area :p ... we get to do it 3 weeks before we normally do...think the area is only about 7 weeks away!:shock:

5. Scotty

Scotty Member

A scottish band to win a major contest (open, nationals, european) its not happened since CWS in 1996!!

6. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

In general, a year without any controvosy over 'dodgy' adjudication!
    Personally, for the Areas to go well as it is my 1st since 1999 :p

7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I'm just looking forward to the Areas in March, because this is only my second Areas, and first in top section. It'll be tough, but I'm relishing the challenge!

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well, I'm looking forward to an interesting year, after a fairly successful '04...

Yes, I'm getting setup to play for various contests coming up in the year, which I am very much looking forward to....

Uni gets demanding as it's my final term!!!!!!

Watch out for a new percussion quartet which I'm hoping to finally get off the ground (at last) in the new year!!

Then decisions after I have graduated will have to be made! What will I do? Where will I go? (Shall I stay? or shall I go?... that kinda thing) Job hunting!!

Many things to consider... and more surprises I'm sure!

Looking forward to a fairly productive year though! (I hope)
    and my best wishes go out to you all as well :-D

:p ;)

9. lister89

lister89 Member

You mean all this time ive been playin against you?!?!? lol, small world... now you get to sit next to me :)

My wish is to actually get better at playing :S

Right I'm, off to practice :)

10. lister89

lister89 Member

Oh yeah and i want all my contests to go well :)

11. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

I am looking forward to my first Area as conductor in March immensly, the band after a rocky period is starting to take shape so roll on March.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    few.
    area
    close
    fore
    things
  13. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

im looking forward to the Grand Shield, it will be the first time i play there and ermmmmm i great year with Glossop :)

14. lister89

lister89 Member

Me 2... how nervous?!?!

15. lister89

lister89 Member

Tho not with Glossop!

16. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

I'm sorry to be so serious, but I hope that we don't have a repeat of the awful tsunami tragedy in 2005, or ever.

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I know!...would have thought you'd wish for me to stop putting in a load of duffer notes in band :-D ... and turn up on time :p

18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Wish I dint have to do another five months at uni... sick of the hell hole... wish I could just have finished and be a Policeman with a season ticket at Eastlands!!

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I think I'd be being greedy if I wished for 2005 to go any better for me personally than 2004 did.

Started the year a slightly ropey and very frustrated principal Eb at a non-contesting band, considering quitting, wondering why I bothered, making mistakes through boredom. Infighting, bickering and carelessness destroying my faith in banding, and not even a girl to take out on my nights off. :cry:

Ended the year a halfway competent 2nd BBb at a championship section band, a piece I arranged made it onto the band CD, with the possibility of getting published, and a band tour of New Zealand in the pipeline! Everyone's together, personal issues can nearly always be set aside for the good of the band, team spirit is bang on, and the people around me couldn't be nicer. (Big up respec' to the co-op posse!) Plus every piece is a challenge, every rehearsal a test, and I even found myself a lovely girlfriend too! :D :bounce :wow :woo

I'd just be being greedy if I asked for any more.

I tell you what I'll wish for. That anybody else who's as frustrated and wound up as I was has a year like I've had. A year that, when they look back, although it had it's tough spots, has almost renewed their faith in themself as a musician.

If you're out there and feel like that, I hope it's you. Happy new year all.

Andi.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'd like to see a radical shake-up to the way the Areas and National Finals are adjudicated. At least two adjudicators per section and the pool of judges getting together in advance to discuss and agree on what criteria they are going to mark bands on! A band's future should not rely on one person's single opinion on the day.

21. lister89

lister89 Member

Good point! I wish Andy would turn up to band on time... actually I wish Andy would turn up to band ;)

I wish both of us stop with the duff notes! Lets just leave it all to Phil!

22. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hey thats not fair :p , I only missed a couple and once was because I was puking my guts up everytime I moved...bet you wouldn't have been impressed had I come in and threw up in front/over you!

As for the duff notes I agree :-D