Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Suz, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Suz

Suz Member

Apologies if this topic has been posted already!!

My wisdom teeth are giving me real jip at the moment. Has anyone had them out?? How long was it before you could play again??

I don't want to be out of action with the areas etc coming up!!

P.S No horror stories please, please, please. Really scared of the dentist!!!!

2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Well considering there's a professional dentist (is there any other kind?) lurking amongst the regulars, I am sure a combo of the truth and scary stories will emerge!!

I haven't had a need to have mine out, but when they were coming through was agony.

3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Ditto - my last ones just coming through now ahhhh :!:

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Suz - how's you... long time no see... hope you are well.

Hmmm... wisdom teeth, okiedokie is ocrrect, there is a resident dentist on tMP. You need to speak with Cornet Girl aka Rachel. She's regularly online - perhaps you could send her a PM asking her to read this thread, she'll give you good advice.

J

5. Suz

Suz Member

Thanks guys, I know at least I am not alone in my suffering!!

Have you tried anbesol??? I swear by it at the moment, it is an antiseptic and anaesthetic, it really helps.

6. Suz

Suz Member

Hi John

Nice to hear from you. I am fine, apart from the Wisdom teeth!! I will get in touch with Rachel, thanks for your advice!

Hope you are well

Suz

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Glad to hear that you're well, my regards to everyone at BTM... all set for the areas???

Oh.. and I made a mistake in Rach's tMP name.. it's cornetgirl not cornet girl i.e. no space. I've PM'ed her as well for ya. She's also got a banner that appears every now and then at the top of the tMP page. That'll take you directly to her dentistry www site.

Hope the pain goes away... :):):)

8. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Won't go into detail as you don't really want any horror stories, but my wisdom teeth became a bit of a problem a week before the Skegness contest. Was really painful to play, but didn't really have much choice. The problem had kind of died down by the Sunday of the contest (must have been helped by the beer! :guiness ).

When returning to the dentisit in the week, she said that if it didn't happen again then i wouldn't need them taken out, so fingers crossed!!

Hope your problem goes away soon. :)

9. asteria

asteria Member

Our bass trom player at BT just had one of his wisdom teeth taken out and was back at band playing like a laser-beam again with no problem on thurs having only missed 2 rehearsals. Also our 2nd horn had 2 of hers out last year and was out for only a couple of weeks.

Best advice - if you have any removed take it easy when you go back. Have a word with your conductor, ours was happy just to have a bum on a seat, and insisted there was no pressure to play all the notes until it felt comfortable again.

Best of luck! :D

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

This is definitely a job for . . . .

. . . . DentistGirl!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wisdom Teeth Kari
    godsend
    years
    salt water rinse tip
    powerful painkillers
  12. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Oooooh I do like the pic Rog!

Check your PMs Suz - and if it's any comfort I've been dragging my heels on having my top wisdom teeth out for over a year so even us dental types can be wusses!

Rach x

13. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I used anbesol before when I had ulcers on my lips! But, with the anaesthetic in it, well, lets just say it's not the best thing to use just before band practice! :shock: :lol:

14. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Suz,

i had to take 3 weeks off, but i had to have all of mine cut out at hospital (just to cheer you up :? ) Face was like a puffer fish for a week

Others i know were ony about for a week, but do take it easy when u start again

15. DaveBB

DaveBB Member

Had one of mine out about 4 years ago and stupid boy decided to try and play the day after. Not a good idea BLOOD everywhere and a right royal rollocking from the dentist the day after.

16. Suz

Suz Member

It's okay if you are using it at the back of your mouth, be careful it doesn't go on your tongue though because it makes Transfiguration X in Tristan very interesting!!!

Suz xx

17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Hey doll!

I had to have one cut out and could play a couple of days later. The worst bit was the anti biotics I had for an infection- couldny drink for 2 weeks or they made me violently sick. Yuk.

Hope you're pk doll xx

18. Suz

Suz Member

Hey Laura

Thanks for message, I am fine, how's things with you? Job etc okay? Are you at Blackpool this year??? Maybe catch up with you then???

Suz xx

19. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Dear Suz,

Funnily enough my husband was in this position this time last year. The dentist told him they needed coming out. They weren't actually causing any pain to him but he knew they were there. He had to go into hospital under general anaesthetic to remove his and he had one from each side removed (he was given the option of all 4 but just decided on 2). His face was swollen, he grew a little beard as he couldn't shave and was uncomfortable for a few days. Lots of rinsing with salt water and some good pain killers and it wasn't too traumatic of an experience. In the end I think it was 4 rehearsals that he missed. He didn't want to make it worse by going back too ealy. It hasn't effected his playing in any way at all.

Good luck with it all.

20. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Wisdom teeth don't make anyone more the wiser though do they? :p

:lol:

21. asteria

asteria Member

Believe it or not Pete said on thursday that because of the risk of infection he's not allowed to smoke, so he's actually given up! He also can't drink because of the anti-biotics, and so he's gone on a mega-health drive and stopped eating junk food and started going to the gym!!

So there you go, having your wisdom teeth out can actually be a good thing!

How long it lasts is another matter....

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wisdom Teeth Kari
    godsend
    years
    salt water rinse tip
    powerful painkillers