Wireless network question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Blagger, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Blagger

Blagger Member

Ok - one for all you tec geeks out there -

I'm looking for the best way to stream video at home on a wireless network.
    currently when i try using my current setup ( dell laptop with wlan 1450 card, wireless router - both "g" rated ? ) it buffers far too often. 54mps
    What all this about "g - nimmo"???
    SO...... what can i do ? get a better router? is my laptop card ok ?

:) :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    wireless router
    wlan
    laptop card
    Wireless network question
    dell laptop
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Sorry to say that wireless is virtually useless for streaming video. Wireless-G is no good, Wireless-N is somewhat better but the standard has yet to be ratified. If you really need wireless then go with wireless-N kit which means a new router and a new card for the laptop. Because the N standard is not yet ratified, get both from the same manufacturer to guarantee they'll work together.

I tried wireless video in my home network for a while and couldn't get the quality I wanted. I ended up running some ethernet cable to the servers in the garage and hard wiring them to the media network.

4. Blagger

Blagger Member

thanks - thats pretty much what i feared.
    Does the length of ethernet cable make any difference to speed ? probably looking at 10m ish

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It should work over 10m with very little drop off. Perhaps you could look at some of the Homeplug IP over power cable products. These are simply adapters that plug into a mains socket and take an ethernet input from your router. They effectively extend your network, via the ring mains, to every plug socket in the house. Current max speed of these is 200Mbs, but in practice they rarely reach these quoted speeds. They are still good enough for video streaming though. I've got a pair in my network serving a media client PC in the bedroom and it works perfectly well.

6. Blagger

Blagger Member

that sounds great thanks - will look into it :clap:

7. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

you dont experiance any network drop off until your getting to legnths of over 100m on ethernet cable, try to get CAT6e instead of CAT5e though because the cable quality is better because it uses more of the 6 strands inside to transfer data across, also try and make sure the connection is at least 100Mb/s or even better try and get a Gigabit link

8. on_castors

on_castors Member

Just got a pair of 85Mbs Powerline adaptors a week ago - stick them in the mains, streams no bother, and a lot more stable for copying files about the network - one attached to the router, other attached to a network hub switch which I use shared with my machine, occasionally the laptop, and also stream video to a Hauppauge MVP no bother (you are supposed to need extra units, but it works no trouble, the router allocates IP address through it's DHCP server)

Cheapest I found was Dabs (although what a ridiculous carry on for delivery thanks to Home Delivery Network!) came in at about 44quid delivered: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YLR