Winter's Tale. Solo CD from Martin Winter

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Active Member

Since leaving the UK to take up the position of Co-Principal Trumpet in the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra in Norway, Martin Winter has steadily been making a name for himself as a top class trumpet and cornet soloist. On his first solo CD Winter's Tale Martin, in his own words, 'tries to capture the real essence of fun which lives inside every trumpeter'. There can be no doubt that he achieves this on this superb disc. Martin is accompanied by the Royal Northern College of Music Wind Orchestra, Fairey Band, Eikanger-Bjorsvik Musikklag and Craig Farr (vibraphone).

Order now with our Mail Order department on 020 7367 6590.
    Alternatively, order from our website by clicking on this link;

Here's the track list;
    A Child is Born (Thad Jones arr. C. Booker)
    Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra (Richard Rodney Bennett)
    Concerto for Cornet & Brass Band (Ernest Tomlinson)
    March for Solo Trumpet (Gary Peterson)
    Premonitions (Nigel Clarke)
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most (Wolf & Landesman arr. Winter)
    Tanga (Dizzy Gillespie arr. Reid Gilje)
  2. Active Member

Martin will be signing copies of his CD at the World of Brass trade stand at the British Open between 1pm and 3pm.
  3. Active Member

What a star! Martin stayed until 6pm!
    If he stayed any longer, I would have had to put him on the payroll!

Nick Childs visited our offices yesterday and told us about a bonus track that appears on this CD.
    It's actually hidden BEFORE track 1 so what you have to do is rewind from track 1 to find it.
    It doesn't work on all CD machines though. My 11 year old Yamaha CD walkman couldn't find it but no doubt more modern equipment will do so.
    The track features Martin although I won't tell you what the track is just yet otherwise it might spoil your fun!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the tip-off!

Two questions: Is it the performance from the Norwegian Champonships, and is it complete, as I didn't know whether I had run back right to the start or not?
  5. Active Member

Good spot!
    It is from this years Norwegian Championships and is an extract.

I've advertised the Norwegian Championships CD elsewhere on tMP but here's another link to it anyway!
    Why not read Alan Jenkins review from Brass Band World;
  6. Active Member

Winter's Tale

This CD has just been awarded the new accolade of British Bandsman Solo CD of the Year.
    Congratulations to Martin Winter and everyone involved in this production.

If you haven't got your copy yet, don't delay, order now!
  7. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Wow, just found the bonus track! :D :D

Tis i piece i already have from the Norwegians but was good to find it again! One of my absolute favourite pieces!

If anyone is in any doubt about buying this CD..just buy it...the playing is simply breathtaking.
    Its a really class CD! :D :D

8. Active Member

Winter's Tale

This CD has just picked up another prize, 4BarsRest Solo CD of the Year.
    This award is somewhat different to awards bestowed by a magazine in that it is voted for by users of 4BarsRest.
    Winter's Tale was up against some pretty formidable competition from Rod Franks, Steven Mead, Russell Gray and David Daws yet managed to poll 48% of the votes cast!

Martin also carried off the 4BR Player of the Year award narrowly beating tMPs own Alexandra Kerwin into 2nd place by 1%.