Wingates and Nyman

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by Straightmute, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Big congratulations to all at Wingates Band on the release of their Nyman CD. For me this is the most significant band CD of the year; it's great to see a band working with one of Britain's leading composers, showing him what a band can do and recording it so that we can all hear the outcome. The playing is always stylish and captures the spirit of Nyman's distinctive sounds very well. Anyone who has seen the Peter Greenaway films will recognise the pulsating, repetitive rhythmic patterns and the plaintive melodies and harmonic twists and turns - classic Nyman territory.

Sure, there are odd moments where intonation slips and where the music pushes the band to the limits but there's also lots of excitement and fun here too.

Now that Michael Nyman knows what a brass band can do, how can we raise the money to commission next year's British Open piece from him? It's about time we did.

Thanks again to Wingates for setting the example to our other top bands.

Go and buy this CD!

2. Does this showcase some of their concert from great northern? I wasn't keen on some of that.
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Mr Mute - please enlighten me; why do you rate Michael Nyman highly as a composer? The only piece of his that hasn't made me think strongly of The Emperor's New Clothes is his 'Music for John Cage' (and I haven't heard that since I was about 15, so that opinion is far from concrete). My impression: Minimalism with the interestingly hypnotic pulsy bits taken out = something not very polished at all, and only suitable for background film music. Am I being unfair? More persuasion will be needed to entice me to buy this CD...
  4. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Haven't heard anything about this CD.:oops:
    Is it band versions of his music or new stuff written for band or wot?:confused:
    Sounds interesting either way so well done Wingates.:clap:
  5. Lisa

Lisa Member

I absolutely love Michael Nyman music and thinkít is really exciting that there is a brass band cd of it! It is just really addictive music to listen to...I love the intensity and energy of all the repeated patterns and the and the bold, brassiness of a lot of the sounds , and the chordy bits are beautiful too! :)

I will definitely be buying the cd. I don't think I have heard a lot of the tracks on it either so it will be even more exciting!
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'm pretty keen on a lot of contemporary music, but I have to say I can't be doing with Michael Nyman. I've was involved in a premiere of a Nyman piece (the suite from Prospero's Books, commissioned by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra' which the grumpy old goat couldn't even be bothered to attend) and in the same concert his Sax Concerto was performed, and I just don't get it. Compared with American minimalists like Reich, Glass and Adams his music strikes me as dull, repetitive and uninspired. Minimalist music is harder to write than you'd think and Nyman doesn't have the same facility for sparkling, shifting rhythm or clean elegant orchestration that his American contemporaries have, IMO. His early music pastiches are vaguely diverting for about a minute, then they get annoying. Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable, but I can't see anything in it.

Kudos to Wingates for getting a "big name" involved in the movement and for doing something a bit different to the usual, but personally I'm much more excited about City of Cambridge's coup of getting Macmillan involved.
  7. Active Member

In Michael Nyman's own words;
    Nyman Brass is a significant release for MN Records in that for the first time a whole album of my music has been given over to musicians other than those who work regularly with me. But more significant is the nature of the music and, especially, the nature of the performers. The Campiello Band and subsequently the Michael Nyman Band might be closer in feel to brass bands than to rock bands and thus the opportunity to have Michael Nyman Band material arranged for and played by Wingates Band is a real pleasure and privilege.
    Some of the material was pretty close to brass band music in the first place: the score for Volker Schlondorff's film 'The Ogre' (1996) was originally composed for brass ensemble with saxophones. Since the film was never seen in the UK and the soundtrack album never released here, this is a welcome opportunity to present this work for the first time.

The other main sequence of music magically translates - through John Parkinson's expert arrangements and some startingly sensitive solo cornet playing from Andy MacDonald - the music for Laurence Dunmore's 'The Libertine' to a totally new medium.

The album is completed with familiar Michael Nyman Band classics; 'In Re Don Giovanni' and 'Chasing sheep is best left to shepherds'.
  8. Midland CD

Midland CD Supporting Member

Nyman Brass

The two main sequences on the album are from the scores to The Ogre [Volker Schlondorff, 1996] and The Libertine [Laurence Dunmore, 2005]. The Ogre was never seen in the UK and the soundtrack not released here, so this will be the first time many people will have heard this music. Originally composed for brass ensemble with saxophones, Wingates Band’s performance is not hugely different from the original.
    The album is completed with the Michael Nyman Band classics, In Re Don Giovanni and Chasing sheep is best left to shepherds from The Draughtman’s Contract [Peter Greenaway, 1982], where the music sounds very different from the original performances. Michael Nyman says, ‘the whole sound-world was transformed. Things like repeated rhythms which I originally gave to piano are punchier, edgier, more dangerous on cornets and trombones.’
    Wingates Band was formed in 1873 by the members of the Bible Class of Wingates Independent Methodist Church in Westhoughton, Bolton, in response to a challenge from the members of Westhoughton Old Band, which had been in existence since 1858. By the turn of the century, led by legendary ‘giant’ of the British brass band movement William Rimmer, Wingates had been turned into one of the top bands in the country. In 1906 the Band achieved national fame by winning the ‘double’: the British Open and the British National Championships. The following year Wingates astounded the brass band world by completing the double again.
    Michael Nyman described it as ‘a privilege’ to work with Wingates. Although his music was very different from the kind that the players were used to, he said they ‘picked up the style, especially the formality of the music, and it soon sounded second nature to them… I loved the spirit of the playing, the instant dedication and the energy in what is a very new sound world for me.’[/URL]
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I eventually got round to listening to my copy today and I must say I was quite impressed, with some first class work on sop and from the two bass trombones. I noticed it also got a fair review from Robert Maycock in the Dec 06 edition of BBC Music Magazine, although he failed to spot the band's name, so it is just credited to "Nyman Brass" :mad:
  10. Texus

Texus Member

Haven't heard the CD, but like Nyman or not (I love the early stuff, can leave the commercial bits alone thank you) Wingates need to be applauded for moving the boundaries. We all need to think out ofthe box a little if we are to progress.
  11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Strange then, that they haven't been nominated for "Band CD of the Year" yet...
  12. Graeme Hall

Graeme Hall New Member

Nyman CD

Regarding being nominated for cd of the year please check the 4barsrest web site we are nominated for best cd today.

This was a great cd to record (even though it was very exhausting) but we are looking forward to the next as the music will be specially written for the band by Mr Nyman

Graeme Hall
    EEb player, Euph, Barritone, Percussion and Singer
    Wingates Band:clap:
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Yes I saw that congratulatiosn for that!
    If you want to nominate the CD for the tMP awards as well, you (or anyone else who likes this CD) can do that here:

That was the point I was trying to make ;)
  14. Graeme Hall

Graeme Hall New Member

Nyman Cd

Sorry slow on the uptake of the comment.

It is now posted and I hope all that have purchased will agree it is the biggest thing to happen to band music over the last 20 years.