Winds Of Change

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Australian Euphonium, May 2, 2004.

1. I've recently been fascinated by the musical ideas in Brenton Broadstock's "Winds Of Change"

Is there anyone on here who has any background info or additional program notes to what is given on the 2000 euro's CD??

Cheers... :p

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :P
    Winds Of Change
    Brenton Broadstock
    background info
    additional program
  3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

It was the test piece for the Australian Nationals held in Geelong in 2002. Won overall by Kensington and Norwood Band from Adelaide but the test piece was won by Hawthorn Band by 8 points. The contest was judged by the composer who freely admitted that while he knew the test piece backwards, he didn't have a clue about the own choise works which make up half the contest. Anyway, enough bitching! It was based on a beautiful hymn from the UK that I cant remember the name of and it involves grunting and tapping the instruments! It was a great piece to perform but a bugger to reherse as the band got bored with it very quickly. You could probably get more info from Brenton Broadstock himself. He is a member of the facult of Melbourne University and his email would be available on their website. Failing that, if you pm me, I could probably get hold of it for you through a friend.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the delay, but here is the programme note from the 2000 Europeans in Birmingham, where the piece was premiered:
    As to the composer, as you may already know, he is one of the leading composers in Australia, with five symphonies, two concertos, overtures and other works to his credit. In 2000 he held the position of Associate Professor and Reader/Coordinator of Composition at the University of Melbourne. Amongst his other works for brass are a number written for The Salvation Army, including "Born to Battle" (written for the New York Staff Band) and "Rhapsody" (using the same tune of St Aelred), both of which are on "Essays for Brass, Vol 3" by YBS. He also wrote "A Vision of the Lost" for the Melbourne Staff Band's visit to the UK in 2001.

5. buglegirl

buglegirl New Member

What a piece to perform

I played the premier of Winds of Change and have to agree with a previous comment that it was pretty bad to rehearse but it was an awsome experience to perform on stage. Also, I really loved recording some of Brentons works on Essays 3-, in particular Rhapsody (St Aeldred---sorry about the spelling)!!
    This is my first post after being in the wilderness for a while so please be gentle with me
    Buglegirl :lol:

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to theMouthPiece, buglegirl :!:

All in all, that was quite a concert, and the recording, good as it is, can't come near to recreating the experience of being there, especially "Windows of the World", complete with choreography - pity there were no DVD recordings then :shock: :wink: :lol:

7. Thanks for all your help with programme notes again Peter!!