windows XP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Just Crazy, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Please please please please please help me.

My computer is going loopy on me, all the menus are all well big and i cant really see much on screen cause the colours are mental. I went into appearance to try and change the monitor resolution (cause i believe thats what i have to do) but it wont change even though it should let you.

Its well doing my head please help if you know how to fix it.

ta very much

Crazy.x.

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It sounds like your video driver's gone AWOL.

Try this:

Right click on your desktop => Properties =>Settings => Advanced => Adapter => Properties

Then you can either try and roll back the driver (although that might not work) or Update the driver.

If neither of those work, choose uninstall driver, then reboot.

Hopefully, the machine will then find your display adapter as a plug and play device the next time it reboots...if it doesn't, go through the above process and choose update driver, and let it look automatically.

Usual disclaimers apply (i.e. I've changed my address if it all goes wrong ;) ).

Another thing you may wish to do is to download updated drivers for your video card from the website - I can give you links if you tell me what's in your system.

3. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Sounds like pretty good advice to me. The other thing you could try is booting into 'safe' mode. This can be especially useful if the problem started after installing new hardware or software. There are different ways to get into safe mode when the computer is starting, could be shift and f5, could be f8, could be pretty much any other combination the computer manufacturer wanted to make it so try lots!! If you go onto the windows update site (do a yahoo search for windows update), there may be an updated driver on there for your video card. Otherwise, you might need to go onto the manufacturers website to download a driver for the video card. If you don't know the make and model of the video card, got to control panel => system => hardware => device manager and then click on display adapter (yes, that's how it's spelt). In there it should give you the name and even the model number of the display adapter (video card) that Windows thinks is in your machine. Hope it helps.

Puss

4. MickM

MickM Member

You haven't had another attack of hiccups and spilled your beer on it have you? :wink:

Can't help you i'm affraid. Hope you get it sorted soon!

MM
    x