Windows Of The World

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Drewdan, May 29, 2006.

?

Do You Like Windows Of The World

1. Yes

88.5%
  2. No

7.7%
  3. Never Played/Heard It

3.8%
  1. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

Is this a test piece? and who likes it? Could it be used as an entertainment number? it seems very upbeat and jolly! with solos and slow parts! I love this piece! What do you think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Windows Of The World
    World
    solos
    slow parts
    entertainment number
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

A lovely piece of music. But as a test piece? A bit too long I would think.

4. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Is it a test piece? No. I like it, but it seems to be somewhat overplayed at the moment.
    I think for the band it was written for (YBS) it worked very well, with the standing up and moving around. But I think its very hard for another band to truly pull it off in the same way they did.
    However, in answer to your question I think it can (and has) be used as an entertainment number, especially in the shortened form of (I think) 3 movements.

5. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

cool! i was never sure if it was a test piece or not, cos some of the sections are quite tricky!

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I like it, but as said before: It has been used a bit too often in recent years, and a lot of times it wasn't nearly as good as the "original" YBS version. The same goes for Cry of the Celts, Hymn of the Highlands and Call of the Cossacks by the way... I think I still like Cry of the Celts the best from these four pieces.

Nevertheless, it's still funny to scream "Mambo" and "Kum Wambo Waaaarrrrrrr" along the with the band on stage ;-)

7. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

lol, very true:) extremely long piece, tiring on the lip if its in an entertainment program, is the shortened version just missing out some movements?

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You find that these are basically themed suites, programme music or whatever and designed to reflect the titles as the composer/arranger sees fit. Dance or song styles are used from regions of the World to link the listener with associated musical images of the chosen culture. I personally find them a bit long-winded either playing or listening to them as a whole but individual movements are often used separately. Whether you can buy them in that form is another matter altogether (... am I right in saying that they have to be bought as a suite?).

9. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

yes, i think you are, but you can play a selection of movements, as apposed to all of the suite.

10. persins

persins Member

I would tend to agree that it is not a test piece but is a good piece. I have played some of the movements in concerts but wouldn't recomend playing the whole lot!!

11. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Im not absolutely sure if its as long as the fore mentioned pieces, therefore i dont know if you could class it in the same category, but i have always liked 'Celtic Fusion' by Robin Dewhurst. Fantastic piece that YBS premiered in the Europeans in 2004.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Windows Of The World
    World
    solos
    slow parts
    entertainment number
  13. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

ooo and Philip Wilby's 'Northern Lights'-really exciting piece!

14. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

i kno of them, they are good pieces! i still love Windows Of The World though, but thats just me! its my earliest memorys od Rogerstone Senior Band

15. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

I dont remember ever playing windows of the world. Did you do it before i graced the band with presence. Perhaps in that concert in risca you did just before i was asked to sign?

16. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

we played it before you joined us, about a week before! We shall have to ask to get it out again, cos its great fun to play! and you get to shout 'mambo'!

17. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Well i do love randomly shouting things in the middle of pieces. Nothing can beat big shep at the end of Kalinka yesterday. Oh and i was crying with laughter at the front row whilst playing in Hootenanny!

18. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

"HOOOOOOOOY!" what a legend, gotta love shep! Hootenanny was awful, my lip was dead, couldnt pitch above a middle G, tuba to baritone with no warm up is shocking for your lips, its deadly!

19. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

I LOVE playing this piece! :D

20. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Fab piece.

21. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

how does everyones conductors take the piece to begin with? in 2 or in 4?

22. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Every band I've ever done it with it's been in 4, because if there is the need to do it in 2 (as in conducting minims) then you're taking it too fast.