Windows 98 SE (special edition)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Seedhouse, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi guys, i'm currently having problems with installing the Internet Connection Sharing wizard onto my computer, because for some reason it can't find the relevant files on my Windows 98 SE (special edition) cd's, if anyone has 98 and wouldn't mind helping me out, could you please PM me/ add me to your msn contacts please!!! :(
    (alex_seedhouse@hotmail.com)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Windows 98 SE
    Internet Connection Sharing
    @hotmail.com
    SE
    special edition
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers, but it's the files i'm missing to install the ICS software on my computer! :(
    Thanks for your help though!

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Isn't it Second Edition Alexy?

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Indeed :D

sorry, can't help you Alex...

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Slightly off topic Alex, but have you thought of upgrading to XP? as it does all this for you seamlessly. It might be worth the small investment to you for the hassle it will solve.

8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Having never upgraded my Operating System (considering upgrading to XP now, thanks John! Seems like the easiest option!), could someone talk me through it- will everything still work ok that was on my PC previously, put my mind at rest before I buy it!!! :(
    How much is it btw??? :confused:

9. Jan H

what kind of PC do you have? (processor type and speed, amount of RAM memory, size of harddisk)?

Windows XP is indeed much better than Windows 98 SE, but it also needs a lot more diskspace, memory and processor power!

If your PC is not powerfull enough for Windows XP, you could consider using Windows 2000 instead.

10. TheMusicMan

In addition to what Jan says Alex, there are some devices that won't necessarily work with XP as there have been no new XP drivers written for them. This is usually only for old devices such as scanners and printers etc... all new devices will work with XP.

11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

If you know someone with an XP installation disc, then if you pop it into your machine you'll find that there's an option somewhere that allows you to check the hardware that's in your machine for compatibility.

Obviously, the newer the XP disc the better (and if it's post SP2, even better!) as the list of hardware will be at it's most recent. At one point, you used to be able to download the tool off the Microsoft website...an alternative is to search out your 'bits' at the Windows Catalog site here.

One word of warning - I find that the amount of RAM that M$ reckon you need to run XP is very conservative. When I build machines I tend to throw 256MB in them just so the OS runs smoothly, then top them up depending on the nature of the applications that the end-user wants to run on them.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Windows 98 SE
    Internet Connection Sharing
    @hotmail.com
    SE
    special edition
  13. KMJ Recordings

The honest answer is not necessarily.

Depending on the spec of your machine, I'd be tempted to put in an additional hard disk, install XP on that and run with a dual boot system (if you've really got things you need to keep going).

This sounds more complicated than it actually is (but does assume that you've got a spare IDE connector for the new drive on your motherboard).

XP home is about £60-65, Professional is around £100 (www.microdirect.co.uk prices).

14. TheMusicMan

Good informative posts there Keith, thanks :tup

15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers for all your very helpful posts guys- I knew I could count on tMP! :D
    My computer is a bit past it in my opinion, not bad but not top of the range or anything special!!!But seriously needs upgrading! :(

Basic specs:
    Operating System: Windows 98 SE (4.10, Build 2222)
    Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.1Ghz
    Memory: 302MB RAM
    Direct X: 9.0c
    Hard Disk: 20Gb- been trying to convince my Dad to get more with no luck for years!!! :rolleyes:

So not the best PC in the world! ;)

16. Jan H

should be ok for Windows XP I think, although a bigger harddisk might be a good idea indeed. A 100 GB isn't that expensive anymore I think...

expanding the RAM to 512 MB wouldn't hurt either, but 302 should be ok too (however, 302 MB seems a strange number, usualy it's a power of 2, like 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB,... or a combination like 3x 128 MB = 384 MB)

17. KMJ Recordings

It'll work, but it'll be a bit clunky around the edges if you're using a Duron processor. You can disable some of the 'nice' things like fading menus and stuff to squeeze a bit more performance out of it.

The strange number for the RAM may be a consequence of having shared video memory (although it's still a bit of a odd number!).

18. heidnr

heidnr New Member

Hi

Win2K has nowhere near the resource requirements and is just as good, unless it is a major gaming thing you have going.
    I run it on an old laptop (PII 350Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 4GB HDD), and whilst it is a little slow to boot, once it is up and running there are no problems.

19. Jan H

and make sure to install all the service packs and security updates that have been released since the release of Win 2K in 1999 ! (you can install them from www.windowsupdate.com, but it might take some time to download them all...)