Windows 7 is here!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Bass Trumpet, Oct 28, 2009.

1. on_castors

on_castors Member

Just last week I have set up a new Dell Netbook with Windows 7 for a friend -it only had 1Gb, yet runs fine (for that amount of RAM!) - I don't have a Netbook myself, I just find them too slow, and don't need the ultra portability, my laptop is old, but still a lot faster than one!

Anyway, having run it with XP as it came, I can say there is barely any noticeable speed difference at all with W7, one way or the other, so if you want 7 put it on! (Watch what you do when disabling services, it behaves a bit different to Vista, especially if you want to keep the Media Center functionality!)

I am not using W7 myself yet, as it is a bit early for me to go the whole hog with a new OS, but I don't think it will be very long, as I have tried it out on other machines and it is certainly very good.

For those beings with educational staus, here seems to be cheapest at the moment:
    http://students.pugh.co.uk/index.php?nID=productDetail&manu=50&prodID=2830
    at £32.66 for the Professional version!

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

According to some of the technical gurus at my office, W7 is much less resource-intensive than Vista. Especially if you turn off the services you don't need.

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Congratulations, I'm very happy for you.

4. on_castors

on_castors Member

Although I have run Vista for a long time, I am first to admit it does use as little more resources than XP did, even with some services turned off; but Windows 7 seems to have near enough matched XP performance in this respect, so most of the complaints about Vista do not apply to W7.

Problem is, W7 seems to be more dependant on letting more of the services to continue running, and the little time I have spent with it, I had to leave more components running than I do with Vista, one of the reason I am not moving to it on my main PC just yet, until I do some more playing around with it on an older machine I have!

5. Bass Trumpet

Joy of joys! My home-built PC went bang yesterday. Nobody's fault, apart from the idiot who assembled the PSU, thus blowing the motherboard :mad:

Anyway, got it all sorted using the spare-room-full of spare parts I have. But here's a strange thing; Windows requested I re-register my copy of Win7. Despite using the same HDD, it noticed the change of motherboard and PSU and assumed I was somebody else. Had to go through the rigmarole of calling the automated help line, which to me always sounds like a grumpy headmistress!

All going again now, until something else blows a fuse!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ouch! ... no overclocking involved?

7. Moy

Moy Active Member

sibelius 6

Just got a new PC which has Windows 7 love it. Just got a new version of Sibelius 6 and it's not liking Windows 7.
    See some of you say it works well - what am I doing wrong?
    Have done the upload or whatever to 6.1 but still not completely ok yet.
    Help please :-?

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Moira, is your PC running in 64bit mode, because Sibelius 6.1 must be run only under 32bit. The linked article below may help if this is indeed the problem.

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/64bit.html

9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

My main PC is now running Linux Ubuntu 9.10, and, while I'd love to say it's brilliant, there's a couple of quibbles...

Having said that, for the vast majority of tasks, it's fine - and free. ;)

10. Bass Trumpet

Try the Sibelius thread, lots of good advice. Some of it even from me!

Might be the 64bit problem. Despite my CPU being 64, I still plumped for the 32bit Win7 simply for the reason that there is still not a lot of software support for 64bit computing.

11. Bass Trumpet

I would agree Linux is a good alternative, but my main quibble was lack of support for industry-standard applications such as Sibelius. I ran Debian for quite a while with WinXP on VirtualBox, but I found that it was just so clunky and slow. My Netbook is running Ubuntu very well but setting up Wifi is still a faff for the uninitiated.

Despite the time and effort put into it, I still find that Linux has a long way to go before it becomes a real alternative to Windows (or MacOS). I don't have too many problems, but I still feel like it is not very friendly for people who don't have much computer knowledge.

I would happily pay for a Linux distro which was as well-supported as Windows or MacOS.