Windows 7 is here!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Bass Trumpet, Oct 28, 2009.

1. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Win7 is essentially an upgraded XP thats re-designed to look more modern and Mac-ish.
    We have had it on out Volume Liscensing at work for a month or so now, and i have been running my Office PC on it since we got the download, and i have yet to find serious fault with it, its much quicker than it was on XP, and browsing the network is much easier and alot faster.
    Alot of really goo features like the Snipping Tool and the Sticky Notes are really useful as well, especially if you forget meetings and stuff like i do haha

2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

But that are just gadgets, for which you can easily find free alternatives on the Internet... (I'm thinking of SnagIt, etc.)

3. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Oh dear.

Six days in and I'm getting repeated crashes. Not good.

Thank God for the MacBook

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Just my luck ... I've was infected on XP with that horrible virus that tells you that your PC is infected. No rights to use system restore etc. Worst of all, I have lost email contacts (again) and customised settings for my edting software. What's Win7 like for security?

5. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Have you tried MalwareBytes, Brassneck?

Windows 7 appears to be a little more secure - the nanny state UAC has been toned down somewhat but it is still effective - if you don't turn it off. Otherwise, the same advice applies as for Vista - the firewall is quite dependable, but I'd install some security software.

6. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

oh yeah definatly always install extra security, but Micro$oft seem to have stepped up there game alot this time, I used to get a warning message from McAfee every now and again on XP saying someone was trying to access my computer remotley. Now im on Windows7 it doesn't seem to get even that far, windows just blocks it outright.

Apparently Microsoft have just released "security essentials" which is a free package direct from them which is very good according to all the reviews i have read.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll check it out. Serves me right for trusting my judgement too much since my last rebuild (without using my anti spyware installation). PERFS.EXE is the culprit.

8. on_castors

on_castors Member

Is there a special tax on it in Belgium? :-?

Home premium is from about £60 here, if you qualify for an educational licence, about 30!

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

€120 was the number I remember from the news. I checked the website of a local computer store. They are selling the "Home Premium OEM" for €104 and the "Home Premium Upgrade" for €119 (which according to Google equals 94 and 107 GBP respectively).

BTW, why is the Upgrade version more expensive than the regular one?

And I don't qualitfy for an eductional license any more ;)

10. on_castors

on_castors Member

It isn't necessarily so here! Upgrade versions can be got for more "reasonable" prices!

The REAL low bargain prices seem to have gone (Tesco had it very cheap!), but still available for under £70 via Amazon Marketplace, and OEM versions around too
    Plenty others cheaper than full price too:
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBcQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

11. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Too right..... Once you've had MAC you'll never go back!!

12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

You might ;)

Depends on your needs.....

13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

That's because you spend so much on the damn thing, you feel guilty for not using it! I personally find them pretty, but really only a fashion accessory for the gullible. A computer is a tool, nothing more.

However, if like Macs, please don't let my anti-Mac bias change your mind. It's your money ;)

Btw, what's a Mac user doing visiting a Windows thread? :oops:

14. on_castors

on_castors Member

Of course not - you will be too skint to buy anything else!

Meanwhile PC users can ponder which of the three machines they have for the same money to upgrade first - the desktop, the Laptop or the Netbook!

In most threads I inhabit, your post would be seen as TROLLING... but that's the quirk of this site ;)

15. Bass Trumpet

Only three pc's for the price of a Mac? They must be posh ones!

In all seriousness, I'm not sure about Win7 on the netbook. While my home pc is a monster (AMD Phenom, 8GB RAM etc.), my netbook is quite basic (Intel Atom, 2GB RAM). I might just wait for some reviews in the computer magazines before upgrading on that.

16. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yup - and the tools I want come as standard on my Mac, and don't on a PC.

If you think its a 'fashion accessory' you've obviously never used one properly. I thought long and hard before I bought my Mac (I spent a year deciding before I parted with the £600 - which I don't think is excessive) and I've been very pleased with it. I use mine for basic audio recording using USB and firewire and the PCs at work just cant keep up .... especially with the mix of audio/midi data we are using. KMJ recordings may disagree but on a music department budget for AS music and music tech I have found mac's much more cost-efficient for what we need.

What's a Mac user doing visiting a Windows thread - laughing mainly ;)

17. Bass Trumpet

Sadly, I have :(

18. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

lol

Don't get me wrong - if Microsoft come up with something cheaper that does the job I need in a better way, then I will go back to a PC. I'm not some Apple-obsessed nutcase! ;)

*goes all misty eyed*

I remember the good 'ol days when my hard drive was 10 MEG (!!) and everything was DOS codes .....

Anyway .... windows 7 - sure its lovely :)

19. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Ha Ha!:) On the contrary... I switch it on and within seconds its ready to go. Sibelius and Itunes actually work without freaking out!! I can do what I need to do (usually my business accounts) and whilst you're still waiting for yer PC or lappy to boot up, I've hit the button 5 seconds later its off and I'm back on pro evo 10!! lol;)

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not at all...it's horses for courses.

I just use PCs because of my choice of software....I'm not precious about the platform at all...I just use what I need....and for mission critical projects I'll always use parallel hardware recorders possibly with the addition of computer(s).

I've known both pcs AND macs fall over at the most unforgiving times, so I remain a bit of a traditionalist ;)