Windows 7 is here!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Bass Trumpet, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hello everyone, well after waiting for ages, Windows 7 is finally here!

I've just installed and initial impressions are very good. The general look and feel are great and it seems to be so much more intuitive than either Vista or XP. I plugged in my printer and it not only found the driver online in seconds but it did the whole install for me. Sibelius 6 runs like a dream.

Because the OS is so new, there a not that many drivers out there yet for older hardware. While my printer is fine, there is no Win7 driver for my webcam or my keyboard (Philips SPC 210NC Webcam and Creative Prodikeys keyboard - Vista drivers don't work)

So, what do people think? Any other early-adopters out there or are you all waiting for people like me to find all the glitches first!
  2. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I have adopted it - I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

So far no problems - the only thing was that my AC'97 on-board sound was not detected so I had to find a driver. Only a minor niggle.

The new Aero 1.1 features are excellent if your GPU supports them. The 'themes' functionality is something that was missing in Vista. The Wallpaper Slideshow feature is also welcome.

Jump Lists make some things easier, but for others you have to click twice where you'd only click once in XP.

Windows XP Mode also works well for incompatible applications.

Sibelius 6 works like a dream, as B.T. said, as do Visio and Project 2003 and Office 2007.

Overall, a much better upgrade than Vista.
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Who cares - OSX Snow Leopard all the way ;)

Hmm ... and that little task bar thing at the bottom looks *quite a lot* like the doc on the Mac OS ..... !!
  4. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I know - I'm a sometime Mac user myself and have to concede it's very very similar...
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... sounds reasonable to me! :cool:
  6. Bass Trumpet

Was I the only one who held a launch party?

Only joking, I'm not THAT sad!!!
  7. Bass Trumpet

And another sore point: my network drive is unlikely ever to receive a Win7 driver as it's considered 'end of line'. Great, that's another hundred quid I need to spend on a new one :(
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Limited backwards compatibility then?
  9. Bass Trumpet

Me or the drive? :biggrin:
  10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm still using XP, and I don't see a reason to upgrade (let alone pay €120 for it...)
    Unless anyone of you can convince me of course ;)
  11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Don't upgrade until you have to, Jan. ;)

I always wait at least a year on Micro$oft upgrades.
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Seconded. When it gets to SP2 I might think about it :biggrin:
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

I have it as it was installed on the new PC that I got delivered last Friday. So far, I'm very happy with it - never bothered with Vista, but this has been hammered for 5 days solid now and it's still to crash, hang or freeze. Seems very stable, not to mention quick.

However, it's early days still........ ;)
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Win 7 is to Vista what XP was to Me........
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

What did XP do to you exactly? ;)
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It seems that you can upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista but have to do a clean install if you have XP running. So, is it Vista repaired, remodelled and remarketed?
  17. KMJ Recordings

I like XP....most of the machines here still run it. The admin laptop is Vista....but won't be for much longer ;)
  18. KMJ Recordings

XP was based on NT architecture was it not?

Vista was essentially a rewrite from the ground up and 7 is essentially a second generation based on the same code.

I think :eek:
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

yup! I didn't fancy Vista so stuck with XP Pro. Most stable OS I've had was Windows 2000.
  20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

although I haven't had much trouble with XP either...