Wind!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hell's_Trombone, Jan 18, 2007.

1. just got home from college to find our garage roof got ripped off and blown in to next doors house-knocking off their chimney and half their roof!! also our garden strimmer was in next doors drive and our bikes were in the middle of the road, one of which was snapped in half!!! also some of the roof was found in the back garden of people opposite! weve had police here and everything!! im never saying nothing exciting ever happens here again!!
    anyone else had this kinda thing happen?

by the way, the pictures are on my bebo, well worth a look!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    doors drive
    pictures
    garden strimmer
    doors house
    garden of people opposite
  3. Bungle

Bungle Member

It's been amusing watching the seagulls trying to fly here in Hastings, sort of gliding sideways, a bit of a wobble, then rapidly disappearing downwind.

4. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

loads of fences have been flying around in our street today couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the first one fly by! .. my mum nearly got hit by a flying roof tile thankgod she didnt but it missed her by a foot!

:eek:

5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Just been up in the loft trying to make the roof weather proof after a tile blew off.
    To be honest my roof is in a bit of a state. A couple of tiles blew off a while back. I claimed on the insurance (Direct Line) but an assessor came around and said that as my roof is the original (from the 1930's) then there would be nail and wood fatigue and the slate nail holes would have widened. There are also a few older repairs evident too. The claim was therefore rejected.
    I then got a warning letter reminding me of my duty to see that the roof was maintained in good order i.e. I need to replace the whole roof. I was waiting for the summer so I didn't have to risk a temporary tarpaulin roof while it was still in the windy rainy season. Just hope my temporary bodge and the rest of the tired old roof last the night. If they don't I very musch doubt I will be able to claim - but hey ho if it blows off I would have had to buy a new roof anyway.

Also my dustbin and recycling wheelie bins have blown over about 3 times. Luckily they are empty.

Next door's fence and one at the house opposite have blown down.

The winds seem to be easing now - cross fingers.

I lived down south when the 87 Hurricane hit. Now that was proper wind!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

wish i could say they were dying down here! I'm really scared .. the tree's are staring at me now and swaying like goodens! :cry:

7. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I was just about to leave work and I hear that a roof has blown off somewhere very close to London Bridge and they're not letting anyone cross to the South of the river. If you've ever walked South over LB at this time, you'll know that that is about 10,000 people trying to find an alternative route! eek

8. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

My mistake, it's the actual station that's lost it's roof!!! That means quite a walk for me! Think I'll go to the pub and let things die down a bit, makes sense to me :tup

9. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I just spoke to my Mum down in Hampshire. The back gardens are now almost completely open plan! The dog is having great fun chasing the cats that usually hide the other side of the fence teasing him! lol

11. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

My school lost part of the roof. I was teaching this afternoon when we heard this massive crash, then saw the roof fly across the playground.

The kids then were not aloud out of the room for 5th period which meant i had to entertain my bottom set year 9 group again for another hour.:(

School is closed now to fix the roof. Staff still have to go in if poss, but it will be nice to sort things and relax before the trek to Butlins!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    doors drive
    pictures
    garden strimmer
    doors house
    garden of people opposite
  13. onebandman

onebandman New Member

I've just driven over the Cat and Fiddle road from Buxton to Macclesfield and there were two lorries on their sides in the ditch at the side of the road.
    I believe the roof has blown off Lord's Cricket Ground in London too!

14. Texus

Texus Member

Atleast that gives our cricket team some sort of excuse for travelling down under.........
    We had to cancel band due to 5 motorway closures in the area. All to the pub i say!

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've just tried to pick EDB up from work and had to turn back. The Thelwall is closed, the M56 is closed and the Runcorn Bridge is closed. All the cars in the North West are trying to get though Warrington. So far the queue on the A49 must go back at least 15 miles...
    Trees all over the place. It's a bit apocolyptic out there.
    BMB
    xx

16. onebandman

onebandman New Member

Our band practice has now been cancelled so back over the Cat and Fiddle for me!
    The wind does seemed to have eased off a bit now though.

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Our factory has metal cladding on the upper half, some of which worked its way loose in the wind this afternoon. In order to stop it getting worse (and possibly ripping half the upper wall off) yours truly got nominated to go up a stepladder, in 80mph winds, and sort it out. :mad:

With the aid of a big rubber mallet and lots of swearwords, it got sorted, but I've definitely got some more grey hairs this evening. Mercifully, because of the weather and multiple motorway closures, band is cancelled tonight. :cool:

18. I thought this was going to be a thread about farting... very disappointed!

19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Do you have something you'd like to share with the class? ;)

20. No, go and enjoy your own, you're not having any of mine! Pharrrp!!!

21. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

It took me 2 hours to get from Junction 28 to Junction 29 on the M1 this evening.
    I was panicking that I'd be late for band practice, but it was cancelled because of a power-cut in the village!!

22. Jasper

Jasper Member

Wow.....that was windy today and I saw something which looking back on it I still find unbelievable...I live down in Hants and it got quite rough around about mid-day....I was driving back from Basingstoke down the A33 towards Reading and I saw right in front of me - almost in slow motion - a huge branch fall off am overhanging tree right on top of a car next but one in front of me. Couldn't believe that the lady in front wasn't injured....her car was quite badly dented....and she was obviously pretty shaken but OK. A few of us lifted the offending branch of the tree pff the main road (yes it was that big took three of us) and got rid of all the rest of the rubbish on the road.........and off we went....

..... Literally as soon as we started moving - 20 yards further on - exactly the same thing happened :eek: - another huge branch fell and wait for it - exactly the same car and poor exasperated lady:eek::eek:.....again I am very pleased to report she was unharmed... how unlucky and lucky can you get all in the space of 10 mins and 20 yards!! Lightning obviously can strike twice.

Mike