Wind Band Programme Ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Texus, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Texus

Texus Member

Howdy guys,
    I conducted my second concert with my Junior Wind Band last night. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for good music to play? Between Wind Band levels 1.5 - 2.5
    would be ideal. Ages 9 - 12. Any ideas?

2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

youu could try Bernaerts site, thgey have a good selection of music for youth groups.
    we bought a load of music with a grant we won.
    All their youth stuff is flexible parts, so it should work well with all groups.
    here's a link.

have fun, we are.

3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

4. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've done quite a few easy-ish 8 part (plus perc.) flexible instrumentation things for Obrasso - they are ok for either brass or wind band. You could look them up on Obrasso's web-site. We use them at Loanhead Brass Roots all the time.
  5. floppymute

floppymute Member

Suggest you take a look at the SJS Music website
    Their Springboard and Junior Springboard series should be what you're looking for. They're stuff is written or arranged by practising teachers who know the pitfalls of training groups at this age. Good luck!
  6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

One of our local area wind bands in West Sussex did a brilliant, brilliant piece called "OutKast in Concert". It's a medley of Hey Ya and The Way You Move. They absolutely loved playing it. It's rated as Grade 2 for wind band, so could be just the thing you're looking for.

You can find it at and search for OutKast in Concert
  7. Texus

Texus Member

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions guys - keep 'em coming in!
  8. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Playing movie music especially the disney kind of stuff gets the kids interested. I used to love playing the likes of Aladdin, beauty and the beast and the lion king.
    Theres a cracking version of The Incredibles thats out I suggest getting it, it's great!!