wind band contest pieces for brass band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kaderschaufel, Aug 5, 2018.

1. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

Do you know contest pieces from the wind band repertoire that have been arranged for brass band? I've just recently discovered

El Camino Real by Alfred Reed, arr. Frode Rydland

which I really like, and wondered if there's more.

Brass bands have always played arrangements of orchestra pieces, but they seem to ignore wind bands, which is a shame, since they also have a rich repertoire (richer than brass bands anyway), and even are sound-wise a little closer to brass bands than orchestras.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

… matter of opinion, I think … ?

3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

I think it’s fair to say that.

Though wind bands don’t have pieces written specifically for contests. El Camino Real certainly wasn’t.

IoiBP likes this.
  4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I’ve played in a Wind Band, it was an interesting experience and much if not most of the music was new to me - but, of course, moving between any two Brass Bands can introduce you to (though in my experience it hasn’t) a vastly different repertoire too. As for which repertoire is richer I think it difficult to say; IMHO you’d need several well regarded MD’s who’d conducted both types of band to guide a judgement on that. That aside I’d be interested to hear why you have reached that conclusion (that Wind Bands have a richer repertoire than Brass Bands) and then hear what others have to say. To me (not that I’m much of a Judge) they’re both rich in both their own and in overlapping ways.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's IMO a bit of a silly assertion. Both traditions have rich repertoires, with different focusses. Neither is overstocked with masterpieces the way the orchestral repertoire is, which is both a weakness and a strength.

Regarding the original question, it's perhaps worth noting that Dutch publications have for many years often published simultaneously in the "HaFaBra" format ("Harmonie/Fanfare/Brass"), including for major works. I believe various of Philip Sparke's works came into the banding eye simultaneously in different formats in this fashion?

6. Anglo Music Press

Indeed.

I think it's fair to say the wind band repertoire is much, much larger than the brass band one. This doesn't make it 'better' but certainly richer, I would say. The range of styles around the world is much wider than we have in the BB world, and there are many pieces 25 or 30 minutes long - of which we have very few. That doesn't make them good pieces of course, but some of them are. :)

7. 2nd tenor

For the uneducated (I don’t know either) would it be possible to have further explanation of the “HaFaBra” format please, don’t mind who from. Always learning something new and often unexpectedly.

8. Anglo Music Press

HaFaBra (Harmonie/Fanfare/Brass Band) are three different types of band. Harmonie is what we call a wind band and Fanfare is a typical Dutch/Belgian line up consisting of brass and saxes, without other woodwinds.

2nd tenor likes this.
  9. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

mental note: if you wanna have a question answered, don't add a controversial claim, or people will only talk about that.

I admit that I'm not fully qualified to compare brass bands and wind bands, because I'm not that much into wind bands, but since wind bands are so much more widespread than brass bands, and brass band repertoire really is rather small, I thought it was a reasonable assumption (thank you @Anglo Music Press for confirming it. Btw, are you the real Philip Sparke, or some kind of agent?).

Particularly talking about lower section pieces that my village band could play, there are like 10 original brass band pieces that I'd consider fantastic (and obviously, we've done them all), so I was hoping we could borrow music from wind bands.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was my mistake to infer that the OP meant "richer" in terms of quality rather than quantity.

11. 2nd tenor

That statement is a real puzzle to me and I can only assume that you are not here in the U.K. I know of only one Wind Band in my area but there are many more Brass Bands (possibly just into double digits). The Brass Bands that I’ve played for in recent years each have roughly one thousand pieces in their libraries - music amassed over many decades - and I’m sure that that is not unusual.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  12. Anglo Music Press

I don’t know how many wind bands there are worldwide, but the USA and Japan have about 20,000 each!

There are hundreds and hundreds of new wind pieces published each year. Numbers of Brass bands are fairly tiny in comparison.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice