wimbledon: any point?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bagpuss, Jun 29, 2006.

?

Do you love it or hate Wimbledon?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2006.
  1. I love it, I'm either glued to the tele or camping on Henman Hill

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. I hate it, I'd rather disembowel myself than have to watch such mindless drivvel

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. I'll watch it if it's on but I can take it or leave it.

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

It's Wimbledon fortnight again although it always seems longer than a fortninght. So are you like me and religiously avoid anything to do with tennis, wimbledon and Henman etc etc. Or are you just as likely to be found on 'Henman Hill' with the rest of the 'fans'.

Puss

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think there are two answers here. No I don't go and shout "come on Tim" to a loser whose best chance of winning anything was five years ago, and even then it was slight. But I do like to watch tennis, when I have the time. The skill of the top players is immense and it's a great spectator sport, provided you get the right people playing. Trouble is these days getting players with any personality is tough - I mean, well there isn't anyone at the moment is there? Give me McEnroe or Connors or even Becker any day.

As for the "comeonTimmers". Well they strike me as being all that is bad about Wimbledon. Not there for the sport, they will quaff their way through several punnets of stupidly expensive strawberries and cheer every time their "hero" wins a point, despite the fact he is actually a very one-dimensional player. Tim Henman is a typical British loser. If he was Australian he wouldn't even be given a mention at the end of any of their sport bulletins, yet here he is a national hero. That says a lot about our mentality towards our sportsmen and women in general I think.

As for Andy Murray - well he is more of a talent, but lets not forget that both Becker and more recently Nalbandian had won grand slam tournaments at the same age or younger than him. So to the commentators and anyone else - please stop using the "he's young and has to learn" card. He is young, and a great prospect, but the really great players had already matured by the time they were Andy Murray's age.

3. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Not wishing to pour scorn on your sport watching Peter but the very fact that you know anything about the names of other players as well as some part of their playing career, means to me that your spot on Henman Hill is permanently reserved!!! Not wishing to call you an tennis geek or anything!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Puss

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Peter's spot on Henman Hill may well be reserved, but let me assure you mine (Ian's) is absolutely not ;)

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've put I hate it in the poll which is usually true. Tennis is one of the most boring things to watch. However, I can get drawn into it if somebody like Jelena Dokic or Martina Hingis is playing :oops:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  6. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

OMG!!! I have absolutely no idea why but I thought you were Peter Bale for some reason!!! Your spot on Henman Hill and SW19 in general is reserved, as is my appointment at Specsavers!!!

Puss

7. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

I don't mind the tennis to be honest, not fussed either way, but I think they should postpone it every 4 years when the world cup is on. I mean how many people out there care how 'Tiger' Tim gets on when our football team are in the qurter finals of the world cup?

Bought a paper on Monday and there was one page on Wimbledon, hidden amongst about 6 pages of football articles (and this wasn't even a tabloid). Says it all really - by all means go ahead and have the tournament but wait until the world cup is over.......

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I like to watch tennis every now and then, but I think in general clay court games are more interesting then the serce-and-volley type games on the grass of Wimbledon. Anyway, I think tennis is much less boring to watch then football! There are no players faking injuries and penalty faults, just constant action and in the end the best player wins...

Although I really am a Clijsters supporter (her hometown is about 25km from where I grew up). I think Justine Henin makes a very good chance at winning this year, seeing how she played in the warm-up tournaments and the first rounds

9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I enjoy watching tennis sometimes.

I wouldn't call myself a Tim Henman fan, but I would always want him to win his game, purely because he's English, and for many years he has been our only hope. However, apart from one year (I think it was the year he got knocked out by Sampras in the semi-final), I've never held out much hope that he would win the tournament.

I actually prefer to watch the women's game, purely because there are more volleys. As much as the men can be more exciting to watch in other ways, I find some of their play pretty boring and frustrating, too many aces!

10. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Tim Henman really ought to give it up as a bad job now. He's not going to win and its embarrassing to have him go out every year in the first couple of rounds and then blame it on a bad back/sore wrist/new baby/etc, etc, etc.
    The British women don't warrant mention - mainly because I don't know who they are because they never win anything.
    Andy Murray is a spoilt brat. Has anyone ever heard him in interviews. Really conceited!
    Anyway, I watched it for about 10 minutes yesterday, thinking I was watching the mens game. Only realised after about 5 minutes it was the womens' centre court game between that French 'woman' Amelie Mauresmo and someone else who was getting thrashed by her. Now theres a woman who needs checking out for extra hormones and stuff! She had bigger muscles than my dad and I swear I caught sight of an adams' apple and 5 'o' clock shadow!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    wimbledon
    Henman
    Henman Hill
    rest
    Wimbledon fortnight
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not many for the British players :mad:

As with many other sports, I' quite happy to watch the tennis when it is on, but wouldn't necessarily reorganise my schedule to do so. Just a pity there aren't so many real characters around any more - much more fun watching the senior events with McEnroe, Leconte etc.

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Naaaah, I don't tend to watch it to be honest, not even if on the rare occasion a Brit might have got past the 3rd round.

14. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Hasn't Henman Hill been renamed to Murray Mount? I remember a bit of a hoo har a couple of weeks ago about this.

- Charmed

So do I, but I expect it's for different reasons;) Sharapova! I believe it was said famously by Lord Flashheart from Blackadder, ' Woof woof'

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'll watch it if it's on, I quite enjoy it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it unless one of the brits got through to the last couple of rounds.

Now ladies tennis (and I mean the ladies, not the she beasts that look more like men than the men do)...I sky plus that, and video it just in case the sky plus breaks down, and ...

16. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Wimbledon - Any point? Can I have deuce then?

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Boom-Tssssssss:rolleyes:

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

At least the coverage of Wimbledon can be avoided, should you so wish. Try avoiding the ****** World Cup - every programme is mentioning it as often as possible, all the radio programmes are jumping on the World Cup train, every shop is full of world cup rubbish and you can't even go out on the roads because some idiot will have those annoying flags on their cars:mad:

I am a huge tennis fan and Wimbledon is about the only time that tennis ever gets a mention ANYWHERE in this country. Tim Henman was once Number 4 in the world - that is no mean feat - that is number 4 WORLDWIDE - he might not have a great record at Wimbledon, but he is certainly no slouch when it comes to playing the game of tennis - if you think otherwise, I am sure he would happily take a lesson from you - just how high are YOU ranked? :rolleyes:
    The fact that he got beaten rather severely this year is probably not due to him being a "loser" but rather that he was playing the World Number 1, the First Seed, the Favourite - there is a reason that Federer has these titles, he is simply an incredible player - possibly the finest that there has EVER been - I doubt ANYBODY will get more than a handful of games against him (possibly a set). Tim put up a good fight for much of the match, but he was simply outclassed, as would anyone else have been.

Anybody who only watches Wimbledon to see if a Brit can get past round one should move to America - when their players get knocked out of something the coverage basically stops.

If you want to see some truly entertaining tennis - forget the main championships and go up next week - see if you can see some of the Veteran's matches - all the players you remember having more fun than they ever used to.

19. bberic

bberic Member

I totally agree. What with the World Cup and Big Brother, there's actually nothing decent on TV to watch. I actually watched Bid TV for half an hour the other day!

20. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

there's loads of decent TV

Saxondale
    Criminal Minds
    Lost
    Doctor Who
    8 out of 10 Cats
    etc

21. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I enjoy watching the seasonal sports, tennis, cricket, snooker things like that, it makes a nice change watching a proper ball sport being played on grass, none of this football nonsense :cool:

But in answer to the question, I'll watch it if I'm not at work, or doing owt else.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    wimbledon
    Henman
    Henman Hill
    rest
    Wimbledon fortnight