Will the brass band movement ever be happy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

While I know that this forum allows everyone to express there opinion on band related subjects (and very good at that it is too :D) I must say that after reading the Area 2005 pieces thread, I'm feeling pretty annoyed...

Will the brass band fraternity EVER be happy! :-?

I mean come on, I know that seem to be out of this world but it just annoys me something rotten when nothing can ever be right! (very hard with anything I know). The point is, yes Tam o' Shanter and Variations will be a difficult test for there sections...as will all the other pieces, but isn't this something we as musicians relish, the chance to play something that will help us better ourselves as well as being a crackign bit of music to play...which they all will be!

But look at the top section, for example, over the last few years:

Prague - Oh dear how has a piece of "music" like that been chosen for a band contest!
    Tristan - Wow this is quite difficult, only the top bands will be able to pull it off
    Rienzi - How the hell have we got a transcription to play!

As it seems to me whatever is picked the organsiers don't stand a chance, as ANY type of music is going to be shot down!

*rant over* :x
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Doubt it! Banding wouldn't be half as much fun without the occasional whinge!

3. groovy

groovy Active Member

I acn understand where you're coming from Andy! If the testpiece was too easy then the whinging would be the same. But not everyone likes to moan about it.....it's just that more people moan than say "Wow, I love Prague!"etc.
    Maybe it should be the tmp mission to inject some optomism into the brass band world ;)
  4. jonford

jonford Member

You are never going to please everyone in brass band scene. Especially when there are players in our movement ranging from 6 to 80! I can't really comment about the regionals pieces beeing too hard because I've only heard Divertimento!
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

All part of banding Andy, as I'm sure you well know, although, yes, I can see where you are coming from and have had conversations on MSN in the past with several tmper's (some with tempers! ;)) on numourous occassions about peoples reactions to the test pieces that get announced for Regional and Final test pieces... we could say the same for concert items as well.
    What got to me recently, was when people were discussing on here about what pieces they would like to have, they wanted the old classics back, etc... and then these same people months later complain about the pieces because it's a transcription, or too hard for the section... blah blah blah..... tristan and prague were too modern for some peoples ears, and now the panel gone to the opposite "extreme" and now the percussion parts are going to be boring.... etc.... (oh whata shame :rolleyes: ) ....

People moan when a piece is too hard.... then they moan when a piece is too easy.... then they moan cos it's too boring... and then people moan because people are moaning about it!!!..... :lol: whatever.... I'd like to see these people write some music themselves to show, maybe prove, that they can do better.... or not..... ;)

... and I believe Andy, that you are one of these moaners as well ;) A certain test piece, for a certain final a couple of years ago, I believe, gave you some reaction... I remember your posts very well about it.... :biggrin: ;)

I look forward to the day when everyone will be happy with the pieces they have to play for a contest.... (It'll never happen though... I know...)

PS: I loved Prague.... and I loved Tristan! :D :biggrin:
  6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i never come home from Rainford's rehearsal without having a moan about something!!

it's mainly about players not being able to count!!
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Top comment Groovy :tup .... providing the service tMP does, and by giving everyone an opportunity to express their opinion using this service, is indeed one of my objectives.

We continue to grow rapidly, and with our increasing daily visits and new members, I know that more and more people within your movement are reading what 'the movement themselves' have to say. This simply has to be a good thing for banding.

Keep posting your opinions and thoughts... :)
  8. jonford

jonford Member

Very true, I as well really like Prague and Tristan even though I didn't play them they were great to listen too in my opinion, I didn't get bored in the middle of the pieces unlike others! (I am trying not to moan!)

I suppose as well though it would not be normal if someone didn't moan!
  9. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

People automatically think complaining is a negative thing. I disagree. I like positive complaining i.e. identifying a problem then think of ways to solve it, or at least start a debate about it and make it an issue.

I have no time for people who complain about the music they are required to play. It's part of the skill of being a musician to be able to play well the music you don't like, surely. Often people complain about the music because they struggle with it anyway.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I don't think anyone's really 'required' to play anything are they? We're all in this because we choose to be. As for not liking something because you're struggling with it, not everyone can play anything that's put in front of them, and it seems a bit harsh to think someone'll instantly dislike a piece just because they can't play it. They might get frustrated (I know I do) but that doesn't necessarily mean they like the piece any less.

Regardless of what test piece you get, there'll always be some who can't stand it, some who love it, and a few it either puts off or wins over. And you'll never like every one you get.

Even when everyone's playing the same test piece, interpretation can play a massive part. It's possible to change tho whole mood and sculpture of a piece simply by changing the way it's played. The important thing for me is that whatever you play and however you play it, EVERYONE has an opinion, and these divisions and debates, in my opinion, are to be welcomed. (As long as they don't divert interest away from the music itself.) Isn't the grading system an adjudicator's opinion?

You'll never pick a piece everyone's happy with, because music's an entirely emotional thing, and no two people ever react to it the same way. That's the beauty of it and at least if you can disagree with someone on a piece it's challenged you both and provoked a response so it's done it's job. When music ceases to provoke an emotional response, whether that response is loving or loathing, it ceases to be music.