Wilkinson Open Contest - All SA Test works

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by johnflugel, Mar 26, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Was pleased to read this afternoon that the pieces are as follows for the Wilkinson Open:

Championship & First Section:
    Quintessence (Robert Redhead)
    Second Section:
    Renaissance (Peter Graham)
    Third Section:
    The Call of Righteous (Leslie Condon)
    Fourth Section:
    Own choice from any SP&S Title

Quitessence: Flugels beware, Renaissance (Back row beware!), Call of Righteous (Front row, beware!).

The organisers have used the idea to promote the wider use of SA music. I think all are excellent works and would not be out of place on any of the competing bands concerts. No massive solos or ridiculously hard moments but plenty of opportunity for bands to try something different and be introduced to some new repertoire. I am sure World of Brass will be on the case shortly but maybe those in the know, could suggest some works for 4th section bands to use.

I would go for Eric Balls 'Old Wells' or 'Sound out the Proclamation', asl you might want to try 'Canadian Folk Song Suite' by Morley Calvert.

John

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wilkinson Open Contest
    SA Test
    Wilkinson Open Contest -
    Whats
    aint
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Hear hear! If Flixton Band decide to go to the Wilkinson Contest this year, (and I hope we do), then I shall look forward to playing "Renaissance".

Having played it in my SA banding days, I would have thought that the "Canadian Folk Song Suite" would be a bit ambitious for 4th section bands (no offence intended).

How about "Variations on a Pilgrim Song" by Thomas Rive, "On Active Service" by Ray Steadman-Allen, or "Faith Reborn" by Leslie Condon?

4. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Euphoniums beware!!!!!

5. MattB

MattB Member

Come on folks, give us 4th sectioners more ideas for Wilkinsons!!

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I agree with the above writer that 'Faith Reborn' would be a good choice. What about Bill Himes 'New Frontier' or 'Shout Salvation' by Robert Redhead?

John

7. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

4th section suggestions

Arise My Soul Arise
    Victory for me (Tough on flugel)
    Old Wells, as has already been suggested

8. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Triumph of Peace by Eric Ball.
    I would agree with New Frontier (great Horn part).
    On the Road.

Being no expert in 4th Section players, I would say that if Canadian Folk Suite is a 'bit ambitious, then Shout Salvation is even more so.

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

The idea is to be ambitious, to stretch the bands to their limits. I would say that 'Tristan' was ambitious for at least 30-40% of the Championship Section. Canadian Folk Song Suite and Shout Salvation do not have a massive amount to worry about within in them, just one or two technical issues towards the end.

Think that the last section of 'Call of the Righteous' has the potential to overstretch most 3rd section bands at Wilkinsons. Tough semi quaver work and a real lip buster at the end, particularly for solo cornets, plus tubas have some semi quaver works (3-2-1 works for me!).

John

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Dean Goffin's "Symphony of Thanksgiving" or Ray Steadman-Allen's "Lord of the Sea" may be worth considering.

11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Now the first one would be ambitious...I will say that!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wilkinson Open Contest
    SA Test
    Wilkinson Open Contest -
    Whats
    aint
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

"Triumph of Peace" - 4th Section - Soprano part towards the end???

A good choice for 4th section I feel would be the R.S.-A. Air varie "Go Down, Moses"

Other suggestions, off the top of my head:

"Heroes of the faith" (Charles Skinner)
    "Where Duty Calls" (? Jakeway (?))

G.

14. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

you can't go wrong with good ole 'Shine As The Light'

15. Blagger

Blagger Member

Any idea what the 3rd section piece is like ( Call of the Righteous - Leslie Condon )?
    Decent Euph part :?:

16. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

17. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Brilliant piece! Excellent solo horn part. A word of advice is to make sure that Solo Horn can play the Eb Major scale ascending in tongued semiquavers both single and double tongued. The speed is usually fast single in rehearsal but in performance it becomes slowish double.

18. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

We were delighted to find out that the Wilkinson Open had chosen an all SA line-up for their test pieces this year.

Ideas for 4th section own choice have been, er, interesting! :lol:
    I wouldn't advocate "Symphony of Thanksgiving" or "Lord of the Sea" for 4th section bands, far too difficult in our opinion.

Here are some of our suggestions which we hope will be of use.
    I'll need to get cracking with posting them on the WoB site although they can be ordered from our Mail Order department at any time.

A Fantastic Discovery (Robert Redhead) TS934
    Music Maker (Peter Graham) TS954
    St. Denio Variations (Martin Cordner)
    Jonah and the Whale (Malcolm Bale) TS802
    Las Lluvias Grandes (Peter Graham) GS1826
    Splendour of Youth (Les Condon) TS900
    Skywalkers (James Curnow) TS914
    Jacob's Ladder (Robert Redhead) TS1002
    A Little Mozart Suite (arr. Keith Griffin) TS814
    Lessons from Nature (Eric Ball) TS650
    A Call to Action (Ray Steadman-Allen) TS834

19. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Just had a listen to our piece (renaissance) it sounds fantastic!!! can't wait! :D :D :D :D

20. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

We have had the parts for two weeks now and its going well.We are looking forward to the contest.

21. jonford

jonford Member

Yeh Rennaisance is great! Better than shine as the light in my opinion

22. We had a look at Quintescence t'other night.... and I dont like it one bit :? Maybe I'm missing something... everyone else seems really keen on it, but I just think there's nothing to it :shock: Only time will tell........