Wilfred Heaton's Praise - as a contest march?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Jun 20, 2013.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Has anyone used Praise in a formal "contest march" situation? How was it received or is contest march more of the 20 Famous Marches type selection?
  2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

there was a band used it at Whit Friday within the past few years
  3. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

Heard it a few times on the stand at Whit Friday. Usually goes down ok with the punters but can't speak for any adjudicators.
  4. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I've heard several SA marches, including Praise, used at local contests, particularly Ents. I'd judge it on what the rules actually specify (march or 'contest' march?) and who's in the box. Always good to hear something different I think!
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We get so worried about exactly what a "contest march" is. Does it have the right trio structure? Does it have the correct quota of semiquavers? Does it start and finish in the approved fashion with big tonic chords? Does it do this... Does it do that...

At root, a "contest march" is simply a march that is played at a contest... The big bands might feel that they are constrained to play either Ravenswood or Knight Templar on the grounds of winning strategy, but there is no reason for the rest of us to be so straitlaced. Praise is a great march, and all the fresher for not fitting the William Rimmer mould (good mould though it is) - I wish it was played more often.
  7. T Winch

T Winch Member

We wanted to use it at the Wainstones Cup a few years back but were told that, as it doesn't have a D.C al Fine, it's not a contest march
  8. MoominDave

That is absolutely the sort of pointless mental squinting I'm talking about. My sympathy to you and your band for having to play by such a silly rule.
  9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but I'm fairly sure praise does have a DC at the very least - though without a score I can't recall if it's a DC al fine or a DC al coda.

Stupid rule either way.....
  10. MoominDave

If you started the piece with a big major chord and finished it with the same big major chord... You could chop off the last bar, and then write a DC al fine with the fine one bar in. Bingo, DC al fine rule satisfied, without actually repeating any thematic material.

Like all stupid rules, one can fairly easily construct a way of making it look really really stupid...
  11. T Winch

T Winch Member

The DC al Fine might not have been the only criteria that was missing. Just the one that sticks in my mind. Maybe that it's written in 4/4 or doesn't have a bass solo. I just remember being disappointed not being allowed to play it and having to do Ravenswood yet again (even though it does have a great horn part!)
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Don't think we need to get too fussed over DCs in this instance - the contest doesnt ask for the DC repeat as some of the Whit Friday's do. From my memory last time I played its on an A4 printed page and it didnt have a DC repeat but it's such a great and different march to choose
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just checked a copy on Just Music - yes there's a DC
  14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance but, in keeping with this post what's the difference between a street march, a concert march and a contest march (with emphasis on the latter)? It sounds as though Ravenswood and Knight Templar are the most commonly used marches in contests and have been for years. Imagine the Open, the National or European contests (et al) where the same test piece was used year in, year out!!

There are hundreds of great marches, many from the S.A. catalogue (The Invincible Army; The Warriors; Celebration; The Red Shield; Milestone.....) and other catalogs as well (Tomlinson's rarely heard Best Foot Forward is a personal favourite; anyone ever played that?). Why not publish a list of marches (as in own choice contests) for the various march contests and change the list every year?
  15. nethers

nethers Active Member

For the Australian band championships each band must perform a march (ie while sat on the stage - there is also a street march but not what I'm talking about here). The march must be chosen from the prescribed list of approved marches: http://nbca.asn.au/images/stories/files/nbca brass prescribed march list 2013.pdf

I think if you want to do one not on the list you can submit to the powers that be who will add it to the list of give you the thumbs down as they see fit.

A good resource if you want to be reminded of some lesser known gems, also a reminder of the lunacy of contesting regulations.

Happily, 'Praise' makes the list!
  16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It is a sad indictment of the way contesting is that an average attempt at 'Ravenswood' will likely finish above a sublime performance of 'Red Shield' - and that should (for example) I write a march for a band, and they decide to use it on the contest stand, that's a guaranteed last place no matter how well they turn it out.

Much as I love march contests as both an occasion and event, I am often very disappointed at the predictability of the repertoire choices on display.
  18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

You're not on your own there. No doubt the sportspeople will be along shortly to argue the contrary. It's all about winning etc...
  19. MoominDave

It's ossified as a structure. All the 'approved' marches for this sort of thing were written over 50 years ago, and the current brief in writing a "contest march" is "don't deviate too far from Rimmer". I'm sure we can carry on doing exactly what we are doing ad infinitum if we want, but wouldn't it be more interesting to try to juggle things up a bit?
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Do John Carrs two Marches "Bramwyn" and "Glemdene" get any outings at WF ? I used to think they were modern, but they must have been written in the 1960s.

~ Mr Wilx