Wilby or Sparke?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mcbm, Jun 7, 2005.

Which Philip's music do you prefer?

1. Philip Wilby

31 vote(s)
  2. Philip Sparke

37 vote(s)
  1. mcbm

mcbm New Member

Which Phil do you prefer? In my estimation you can't go wrong with either one!:clap: What's your favourite piece for either one. Does anyone know how to set up a graph so we could cast our votes for our favourite Phil (myself excluded of course...)?
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Thats a toughy. Both have written so much good stuff.

Of philip Sparke's music my favourites are Year of the dragon, Music of the Spheres and Cambridge Variations in no particular order. His lower section pieces are all great, and i think he's written more lower section stuff than Wilby has.

However, for me Wilby just edges it. I love all his music, Revelation, Dove Descending, Masquerade, Paganini Variations etc. His music is so busy, so emotional, evocative (as is Philip Sparkes!). Jazz is amazing too!

They're both modern day legends! Very hard to seperate :tup
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I think both write some excellent music. Wilby for me tends to be more technical and diffiult than sparke but for me Philip's sparkes concerto for cornet is much enjoyable to play than concerto 1945.

IYOUNG Member

Top question

For me it would be the Sparke variety on balance.

Although Dove Descending is very near the top of my all time favourite list
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Well, both are top notch band composers. However... Mr Wilby consistently writes at a level of intellectual subtlety that Mr Sparke only rarely touches. In my addled opinion, of course...
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sparke, only because I feel his music reaches to the masses, and has made brass band test pieces fun as well as difficult!
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I prefer the music of one on the whole, yet my absolute favourite brass band piece is written by the other - I cannot decide which should get the vote:confused:
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

These two composers are both quality... they both show and have their own distinctive styles which make them who they are....
    I couldnt and wouldnt like to choose one or the other.... because they have both made such an impact on the brass band movement that we have today.... and both are inspirations to me.

However, I can tell you my all time favourite piece (at the mo) is by Sparke....
    Music of the Spheres does it for me everytime... I'm truely in love with it.... :)
  9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Well spoken Naruco !!

Since getting back into banding (a year ago exactly!!) and getting into non-SA music these two composers have been at the top of my favourites list .Music of the spheres is a quality piece of the first order , and Wilby's work is rarely off my CD at home (some top examples on YBS's triple European CD ). We are looking at Year of Dragon at present and its a cracking piece.

Could not posibly pick between the two of them.
  10. mcbm

mcbm New Member

Whoever's responsible - thanks for setting up the poll.:clap: I think this will be a close call!
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I set up the poll for you, but have taken until now to post and vote. In many ways it is not really possible to choose between one and the other, as both have produced some great pieces, both to listen to and to play.

It was hearing a broadcast of "The land of the long white cloud" that revived my interest in listening to brass band music rather than just playing it. On the other hand "Revelation" and in particular "Dove Descending" are amongst my favourite band pieces.

I think we should just thank them both, and hope that they continue to provide music of all sorts for a long time to come.
  12. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

what a silly poll!!! it does irk me when we have these things on this website. i thought it was about dennis wilby. i've always been rather partial to his fine piece the mexican castenets. can he be included in this poll?

never heard of the other chaps.

uncle eric
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Here here!!! :clap: :biggrin:
  14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

On a serious note , and apologies if this is a silly question , but does anyone know if the two are related (Dennis and Philip) ?
  15. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Has to be Sparke for me
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Has to be Sparke for me too! :)
  17. flower girl

flower girl Member

ooh, thats a tough one but i think i'm going to have to say sparke, mainly because Music of the Sphere's is one of my favourite pieces
  18. mcbm

mcbm New Member

Don't forget your favourites!

I love Wilby's New Jerusalem. Stunning ending!
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm staying well clear of this one! It would only come down to personal taste and both have contributed massively to the movement with distinctive styles (as said before) that work!
  20. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Philip Sparke's music may have more "instant appeal." Philip Wilby's music may be better appreciated after repeated listenings.

For instance, we're working feverishly to get Wilby's Music for a Moving Image under our belts for WMC. The piece has some very accessible sections, and some that are more technically and musically challenging. I'm certain that we'll all like the piece very much after we have a grasp of the whole thing. With that in mind, I hope that we all like the piece sooner than later! :)