Wigs in bands?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bariwizard, Jan 4, 2011.

1. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Just been checking out Kenny Ball's forthcoming date in Essex www.kennyball.co.uk and noticed he seems to use a hairpiece to great effect when performing.
    Has anyone tried to use a "syrup" in a brass band, and if not would it work/be allowed at contests?
  2. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

I don't think our cornet section would be able to blow a note if I tried it! Hmmmm, theres a thought.

I think I've got the 'C.U. Jimmy' Russ Abbot ginger one (with integrated tartan cap) somewhere. I might try it at the NW area and see if I can get through registration :O)
  3. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Strictly speaking the "C.U. Jimmy" of which you speak is a hat, rather than a hairpiece.
  4. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Are you Peskie in disguise? Hairpiece used to great effect? You need some fresh medication.
  5. andybass

andybass Member

I can confirm that knut Johannson ,formerly 2nd baritone of eikanger wore a wig with some distinction in the late 80,s and 90,s. I admired it and on occasion borrowed it myself.
  6. Tom Kuiling

Tom Kuiling Member

Im sure Nick Young from Grimey had a syrup for a few years. Seems to have gone bald gracefully now
  7. Zappa

Zappa Member

8. Zappa

Zappa Member

By the way nothing to do with brass bands .... He did play drums for a bit that (so a tiny tiny bit musical!) ;)
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

W'en I saw this t'read I was looking forward to an 'ealthy debate on Liberals in t'e brass band movement.

I suddenley remembered t'at I drop all of my Haitches and it was a syrup replacing a barnet, and not a discussion about Liberalism :confused:

Always wondered what a wig would be like as a mute :biggrin:
  10. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

If it ain't fixed on well it could certainly provide some "hairy" moments in contest.
  11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I quite often don an Affro when my function band is doing a 70s themed gig.....
  12. foxy bingo

foxy bingo New Member

Why? The only reason I ask is I have seen a few of your type of acts at works events and often white blokes in the band where Afro wigs. I don't know why? My beloved dyke have a very long serving lower end player who's hair texture can often seem.....let's say mixed! Eric Morcombe would of had some fun!!! Legend all the same though syrup or no syrup!
  13. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I know what you mean about the afro wigs....nice to see equality and human rights rolled back a few decades in the name of entertainment - I doubt big lips would be acceptable, so why afro's?

You've lost me with the dyke thing though, I can't think of any past or present members who have a thatch although I'm willing to be proved wrong.
  14. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

There's been a few spectacular comb overs as well.
    Ian Craddock did a great 'Bobby Charlton/Arthur Scargill' impression back in the 70's with Imps :biggrin:
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Much more on this topic and this website will have to change its name from 'The Mouthpiece' to 'The Hairpiece'.

I'd rather go bald gracefully, the main reason being cost. Saw a wig the other day for £70. I thought it was a lot 'toupee', personally.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Drake Rimmer wore a wig. Shame I wasn't there when it got caught in a car door, lol!
  17. feelyon

feelyon New Member

I myself am a big fan of the syrup impression which was a favourite with conductors in the 70's 80's often teamed with a fetching polo neck or v-neck jumper. You know who you all are.;)
  18. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

I much prefer the 'comb over' style for men who are going thin on top. none of this shaving head 'phil mitchel' style for me. :D