Wife beater or Peroni ???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by midwalesman, Aug 10, 2006.

1. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

I have been a fan of wife beater for a while and nowbut I face the dilema of liking Peroni, formerly Nasro Azzuro. Both are equally nice but the next morning I can't seem to make my mind up which gives the best hangover? Can anyone help with this quandry?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hoegaarden
    Peroni
    Interbrew
    UK
    old brewery
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Wife beater?? Never heard of it. Sounds like such a homely brew tho. :-?

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What a sheltered life you must lead - wife beater = Stella Artois

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Guess I must lead a sheltered one too Franics as I hadn't heard of that either. :)

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I always thought Peroni and Nasro Azzuro where different Italian beers - don't you get Peroni in Italian restaurants and the bottle has picture of a bavarian bloke with a large white moustache? Nasro Azzuro you can buy at Sainsburys etc just a green label with writing and no pictures.

Perhaps that's why you're having such a problem working out which headache came from which beer.

7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Nastro's lush!!!

8. 2nd man down

I had no idea Stella was called wife beater!!! :-?

9. Di

Di Active Member

Ditto. It was only when he said the word "hangover" I even knew he was discussing drinks! :rolleyes:

10. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Even I knew that! Jezzz, call yourself a man!

I think stella should be reserved for "super sundays". Its the only thing to drink on a sunday night!

If it's a hang over your wanting you should drink two pints of hock before you go out, might even make you sick if you are lucky :) ;) :p

11. starperformer

starperformer Member

real men wouldn't have any reason to know the names of different lagers, preferring to drink bitter instead (or pink gin/martini whilst in tropical colonies, of course).

you really have to go to belgium to find out just how low quality wife beater is in the scheme of belgian beers. there's a reason why they export it all. the triumph of marketing over content.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hoegaarden
    Peroni
    Interbrew
    UK
    old brewery
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

For your information

In England, the term is occasionally used as slang for the Belgian beer Stella Artois. Although this is also used in Scotland by some, its main usage remains as a vest type sleeve-less shirt. In British culture, Stella Artois is associated with a drinking culture in which domestic abuse may follow a bout of drinking at the local pub.

Wife beater is a nickname for "Stella" a popular lager/beer in the UK. It got the nickname wife beater because of the ammount of wife beating that went on after drinking several cans/pints

14. sugarandspice

There you go then, thats the offical defination :)
    Seeing as you don't have a wife tho richard you shouldn't be doing any beatings!

Why not just drink both? (doesn't have to be in the same glass but i reckon that could make for some good experimentation......don't forget the straw!)
    I can be doing with this "stick to one drink all night" milarky, far too boring! Everyone needs lots of variety ;)

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I can give you a tour if you want. Just come to Leuven... ;)

btw, in Leuven is the headquarters if InBev (formerly Interbrew), the company that sells Stella, Jupiler, Hoegaarden, Leffe, Belle Vue and lots of others. A coupe of years ago, Interbrew merged with a Brazilian brewery, and they are now the biggest brewery company in the world (e.g. they also own Labatt and Beck's).

Because of their dominant market position, they have started to randomly increase the price of beer and because of that, a lot of people don't like that company any more :mad:.

So If you come to Belgian, try some of the smaller brands, like the trappist beers or Duvel (instead of Leffe). If you want lager, try Maes, Cristal or Primus instead of stella or Jupiler. For the "geuze" or "lambic" style beers that are popular around Brussels, there a couple of smaller brands, like Mort Subite, that are much better than Belle Vue. And instead of Hoegaarden, try Brugs Witbier or Limburgse Witte.

Finally about Stella: the Stella in Britain is not imported, it is brewed in England. The taste is different... (as is the alcohol percentage I believe...)

:biggrin:

16. sugarandspice

Yuk. I don't like that stuff. not nice, my brother brought two jugs of it once when it was on offer. We were stuck with it and it was disgusting, so we stole the Hoegaarden glasses to make up for it!

In poland we had Zywiec
    http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/Beers_of_Europe__Polish_Beer_359.html
    Its at the bottom of the page. That was good stuff! And i think they sell it in spoons!

17. 2nd man down

you had two big jugs? Interesting! :rolleyes:

18. sugarandspice

"I was counting the seconds till you chipped in once jugs was mentioned! :rolleyes: "

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I think you'll find a lot of people don't like them because of the mass produced rubbish they sell, by taking over smaller breweries whose beers had character, and either moving the brewery premises or discontinuing the beer.

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You're right there Francis - Peroni is the name of the producer and one of their beers is called just straight "Peroni". Nastro Azzuro is a different beer - slightly stronger, but still made by Peroni, and the bottles you tend to get in Italian resturants (around Leicester anyway) is Peroni's top beer Gran Riserva which comes in the brown bottle with the hairy bloke on the label. All of them are yummy and far too good to waste getting totally battered on. Better to drink a couple of bottles only in pleasant surrounding or in the sun with some mates.

So for me, session = Stella. Pleasant drink with mates and or missus = Peroni (any one).

EDIT: People are right about the difference in Stella - I think "our" Stella is brewed in Northampton :-? and tastes totally different to the Belgium stuff. Having said that, I think the worst Stella I've ever had was in a Pavement cafe just up the road from the Station in Antwerp. I've no idea why but it tasted like vinegar and was hugely expensive too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  21. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Well, not all beer they make is rubbish, certainly not when you compare it with some of the stuff that's made in - for example - the Netherlands or the US (Heineken and Budweiser, not to mention any names ;) ). It's really since the merger with the Brazilians that they changed their business tactics.

For instance, Hoegaarden used to be a small village brewery, which became very succesfull and then were bought by Interbrew. They didn't change anything to the brewery, they just expanded it, and started selling it abroad. Now with the Brzailians, they suddenly closed the old brewery, and moved the production to the Jupiler brewery near Liege. So Hoegaarden isn't made in the actual village of Hoegaarden any more...

And to Kelly: I'm not the biggest fan of Hoegaarden-type beer myself either,but it can be really refreshing. I drink it sometimes with a meal or something, but certainly not on a night out...

22. sugarandspice

Quite intrigued by the something?!! :)