Wicker Man - one remake to far

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nanny Ogg, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

According to the Guardian it is one re-make too far. The chap who reviews films on Radio 5 live says "no no no" about it.

Has anyone seen it yet - is it as bad as old Ogg feared?

2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well if it hasn't got that scene of a naked Brit Ekland druming on the door, then it can't hope to be as good as the original.

3. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

not even a fat bottomed Brit double either.

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just heard today that Peter Jackson is making a remake of the Dam Busters!!!!! I think he should have stayed doing films like Bad Taste , has anyone seen that..class NZ film from the 1980's... :)

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Bad Taste is sheer class, I especially like the bit where the missile screams through the house, ou the other side and then blows up a sheep.

Nearly forgot, " I'm a Derek, and Derek's don't run!"

Funny as.....

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

they dont make films like that anymore...what a shame!!!! I am sure P.J did "Meet the Feebles" described as the muppets on crack!!!!

7. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Do you think that the re-make of Dam Busters will still have Nigger the dog in it?

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I think when they make films like that ,they should be left alone The Wicker Man is a classic some brilliant actors in Christopher Lee ,Britt Ekland, Edward Woodward, Ingrid Pitt.
    One of my all time Favorites.
    Im not a big film watcher but:clap: for this film

9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

That will be a big test of Peter Jackson's commitment to historical accuracy (it was the name of Guy Gibson's dog and the codeword to indicate that the attack on the dams had been a success). If you are making a historical drama, especially if it is based on real events, then IMO you should not change the facts, abhorrent and insulting though some words and attitudes of the time may be to modern ears and eyes. The original film has been shown on British TV in recent years in full and unedited and without any protests or adverse comments , which surprised me. However, I suspect that commercial imperatives will prevail, otherwise the new film will be unreleasable in the USA.

Sometimes a re-make can be an improvement on the original eg "Ocean's 11".
    (Admittedly I'm struggling to think of another one off-hand...)

10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

That would be Mark Kermode and he's not normally wrong when he reviews a horror film.

I just don't understand why there is a need to remake films these days when you can easily watch the original on all the available satellite channels. I wouldn't mind if they remained faithfull to the originals but they aren't even close in some instances

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wicker Man
    re-make
    no
    Radio 5
    anyone
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I've read elsewhere that the dog will be called 'Trigger'.

(But surely Trigger's a horse! - just ask Roy Rogers...)

13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Do you think the Americans will invent the bouncing bomb in the new Dambuster? Like they cracked the Enigma Code?

I haven't even seen all the original Wicker Man yet, but I have promised Nanny Ogg on pain of pain not to go and see the remake. I agree, it's just wrong.
    BMB
    xx

14. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

I think Michael Caine was right when he recently said why re-make the good films?

15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Money.

Plus no-one would pay to see a re-make of a bad film.

16. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

But at least you can improve on a bad film.