Wick 4B vs Bach 1 1/4c or 2 1/2c cornet m/p's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Acky1962, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Acky1962

Acky1962 New Member

Any views re Bach 1 1/4c versus the Wick 4B cornet mouthpieces? I have recently started playing the trumpet again following years off and have found my old Bach trumpet 1 1/4c mouthpiece to be more user friendly than my other trumpet mouthpiece. I mainly play cornet and was using a McCann cornet mouthpiece until recently, and changed back to my DW 4B. In a bid to be consistent and not mess about with embouchure etc I was thinking of buying the corresponding Bach cornet piece. Any views or suggestions??????
  2. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

I cannot advise you specifically on the Bach 1 1/4C or 2 1/2C as I have not ever played on those particular m/p's. I can however tell you that in terms of switching between trumpet and cornet mouthpieces I have found it helpful to keep a certain level of consistency. The 2 main mouthpieces I use are a Bach 7C for trumpet and Bach 7C for Bb cornet. I do have other mouthpieces, a larger Sparx mouthpiece for lower cornet work for example.

I think that whether you can swap between trumpet and cornet and just play on different mouthpieces is largely down to each individual but for me personally I have found it useful to keep a bit of consistency overall. I am about to go and ruin it all anyway as I am now on Sop!!!!

Good luck with it.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

No, no, no no! 4b? What are you playing? A big cornet (example xeno) will sound thin and harsh with a small mouthpiece like the 4b. I played a 4b for years. People thought i was a decent cornet player. My playing took off once i swapped to a larger mouthpiece, I chose a McCann because it wasnt too much of a jump down. Our conductor (Morgan Griffiths) thought my sound was still too "edgey" and gave me a bored out McCann. It still gives me the ease of top and bottom register but blends better. Its perfect for second man down work. I tried a Dave King which just didnt work for me.
    Mouthpieces are very subjective. My advice is to spend some time seeing a quality clinician. Its gonna cost but you will get the best quality advice. Roger Webster is the man.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I always play on the biggest mouthpiece I can use comfortably without damaging the individual sound and range of the instrument. Hence I use a bach 1 and 1/4 c on trumpet (have tried bigger but found i started to sound like a dodgy cornet), a denis wick 2F on Flugel, a denis wick 2 on horn and either a denis wick 2 on cornet if I'm doing back row or a 4 if i'm on the front.

Took a while to get here and it does help to try a few and work with them. What suits one person won't necessarily suit others, which is why so many mouthpieces are available. Have found that if kelly make sizes that u want to try then they are a fairly cheap way to avoid expensive mistakes. if u like something then you can buy the metal version.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. Acky1962

Acky1962 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Towse, its a new York I'm playing on, and being a genuine lazy sod I found the 4b (that came with the can) was easier to live with, and yes the tone is a little brighter (prob a combination of cornet and mouthpiece).
    I think I'll stick with the 2 m/p combo!
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Have you tried the larger Wick models?
    I play trumpet, cornet, flugel, soprano, piccolo trumpet and find that using the same rim size on all the instruments gives me embouchure familiarity regardless of which instrument I am holding/playing. BUT, I would never use the same cup style for all of them. A cornet just won't sound like a true cornet if you are playing on a trumpet cup. A trumpet won't sound like a true trumpet if you put a cornet style cup on the mouthpiece. It is all about selecting the equipment which works for your equipment with you on the end of it.
    Purely personally, I would suggest you take a look at the Wick 1 cornet mouthpiece (currently only available in Heavytop, but this SHOULD be changing in the near future). This SHOULD help you achieve the desired sound whilst remaining a very familiar style of rim/cup to your trumpet mouthpiece.
  7. floppymute

floppymute Member

Although originally a cornet player I've played on a Bach 1 on trumpet for many years. Having tried a number of cornet mouthpieces (Wick, McCann & others) the only combination I'm happy with is a Bach 1 cornet match (had to send to the States for it). The point is though, even allowing for Bach's distant nod to the differences there should be between a cornet and trumpet mouthpiece, the two mouthpieces don't match exactly and do feel different on the embouchure, so if you do go for a matched pair don't expect too much.
  8. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

I agree with this, I have found that even if I do go for matched bach mouthpieces for trumpet and cornet as mentioned above, there are differences in the feel of the two. So whilst you do get a certain level of consistency, there will always be some small level of variance. It all , once again, comes down to your own individual requirements, embouchure, ability etc. Everyone will always have their own preference and system that works for them.