Wick 4B vs Bach 1 1/4c or 2 1/2c cornet m/p's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Acky1962, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Acky1962

Acky1962 New Member

Any views re Bach 1 1/4c versus the Wick 4B cornet mouthpieces? I have recently started playing the trumpet again following years off and have found my old Bach trumpet 1 1/4c mouthpiece to be more user friendly than my other trumpet mouthpiece. I mainly play cornet and was using a McCann cornet mouthpiece until recently, and changed back to my DW 4B. In a bid to be consistent and not mess about with embouchure etc I was thinking of buying the corresponding Bach cornet piece. Any views or suggestions??????

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

3. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

I cannot advise you specifically on the Bach 1 1/4C or 2 1/2C as I have not ever played on those particular m/p's. I can however tell you that in terms of switching between trumpet and cornet mouthpieces I have found it helpful to keep a certain level of consistency. The 2 main mouthpieces I use are a Bach 7C for trumpet and Bach 7C for Bb cornet. I do have other mouthpieces, a larger Sparx mouthpiece for lower cornet work for example.

I think that whether you can swap between trumpet and cornet and just play on different mouthpieces is largely down to each individual but for me personally I have found it useful to keep a bit of consistency overall. I am about to go and ruin it all anyway as I am now on Sop!!!!

Good luck with it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

No, no, no no! 4b? What are you playing? A big cornet (example xeno) will sound thin and harsh with a small mouthpiece like the 4b. I played a 4b for years. People thought i was a decent cornet player. My playing took off once i swapped to a larger mouthpiece, I chose a McCann because it wasnt too much of a jump down. Our conductor (Morgan Griffiths) thought my sound was still too "edgey" and gave me a bored out McCann. It still gives me the ease of top and bottom register but blends better. Its perfect for second man down work. I tried a Dave King which just didnt work for me.
    Mouthpieces are very subjective. My advice is to spend some time seeing a quality clinician. Its gonna cost but you will get the best quality advice. Roger Webster is the man.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I always play on the biggest mouthpiece I can use comfortably without damaging the individual sound and range of the instrument. Hence I use a bach 1 and 1/4 c on trumpet (have tried bigger but found i started to sound like a dodgy cornet), a denis wick 2F on Flugel, a denis wick 2 on horn and either a denis wick 2 on cornet if I'm doing back row or a 4 if i'm on the front.

Took a while to get here and it does help to try a few and work with them. What suits one person won't necessarily suit others, which is why so many mouthpieces are available. Have found that if kelly make sizes that u want to try then they are a fairly cheap way to avoid expensive mistakes. if u like something then you can buy the metal version.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. Acky1962

Acky1962 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Towse, its a new York I'm playing on, and being a genuine lazy sod I found the 4b (that came with the can) was easier to live with, and yes the tone is a little brighter (prob a combination of cornet and mouthpiece).
    I think I'll stick with the 2 m/p combo!

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

Have you tried the larger Wick models?
    I play trumpet, cornet, flugel, soprano, piccolo trumpet and find that using the same rim size on all the instruments gives me embouchure familiarity regardless of which instrument I am holding/playing. BUT, I would never use the same cup style for all of them. A cornet just won't sound like a true cornet if you are playing on a trumpet cup. A trumpet won't sound like a true trumpet if you put a cornet style cup on the mouthpiece. It is all about selecting the equipment which works for your equipment with you on the end of it.
    Purely personally, I would suggest you take a look at the Wick 1 cornet mouthpiece (currently only available in Heavytop, but this SHOULD be changing in the near future). This SHOULD help you achieve the desired sound whilst remaining a very familiar style of rim/cup to your trumpet mouthpiece.

8. floppymute

floppymute Member

Although originally a cornet player I've played on a Bach 1 on trumpet for many years. Having tried a number of cornet mouthpieces (Wick, McCann & others) the only combination I'm happy with is a Bach 1 cornet match (had to send to the States for it). The point is though, even allowing for Bach's distant nod to the differences there should be between a cornet and trumpet mouthpiece, the two mouthpieces don't match exactly and do feel different on the embouchure, so if you do go for a matched pair don't expect too much.

9. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

I agree with this, I have found that even if I do go for matched bach mouthpieces for trumpet and cornet as mentioned above, there are differences in the feel of the two. So whilst you do get a certain level of consistency, there will always be some small level of variance. It all , once again, comes down to your own individual requirements, embouchure, ability etc. Everyone will always have their own preference and system that works for them.

Find more discussions like this one
Bach 1
Wick 4B
Bach
McCann
DW 4B