Why?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Heather17, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Heather17

Heather17 Member

I know its been covered many times before , but just a Sunday morning observation... WHY can Yorkshire organise 2 Adjudicators per section and the North West can't??? :confused:

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

3 possible answers...
    1) not enough money
    2) they don't think they need to
    3) both of the above.

2 possible solutions...
    1) raise the entry fees
    2) enough bands need to request it

Only your regional committee can answer for sure - so ask them!

3. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

The bands on the whole were not bothered enough to vote for two adjudicators last year when they had the chance to.
    but don't get me started on how democratic the vote was, when not voted bands were counted as wanting the status quo. (i.e. one adjudicator)

4. Frontman

Frontman Member

On this one I will agree with ACCIDENTAL.

If you wish to do something about it write to Peter Bates as Regional Secretary and voice your opinion.

This has been talked about for years and nothing has ever been done because people either would not complain or when they had the chance to vote on the subject, they would not pay 27p for a 1st class stamp.

That just about sums up the interest in this subject.

However, like I said earlier, If you wish to do something about it write to Peter Bates as Regional Secretary and voice your opinion.

5. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Well said Accidental.

Heather - Why not ask your contest secretary if they have raised the issue?

Everyone wants two adjudicators, the best possible hall to play in and great test pieces but very few people are prepared to pay for it, either financially or in volunteering their time to make the difference.

There are a lot of threads on the mouthpiece complaining about Area Contests - results, adjudicators, venues etc. The only way to change it is to join your local association and sit on one of the regional committees and make yourself heard.

This will of course result in you giving up lots of time for free, attending numerous meetings and organising the odd contest.

Been there, done that and still wearing the 'T' shirt. I personally get a lot out of serving on my local Association Executive and am really proud to do so but please don't ask my wife about the amount of time it takes up!

Changes can only be made if bands give the regional committee the feedback of the type that you have put on here. Get your band to lobby for the change but be prepared to pay for it with higher entrance fees.

6. Al

Al Member

Why does the North West manage to hold all the 5 Sections in one day and Yorkshire takes two?

7. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

3 halls v 1

8. Accidental

If my memory of discussion at the time (2009?) is right, all the bands were told that if they did not return the voting form it would counted as a vote to keep things as they were... and more than half didn't vote. That means that a majority of bands were either happy with one adjudicator, didn't care, or had such poor admin their members didn't even know the vote happened.
    I don't think its fair to question the democracy or blame the regional committee for that!

9. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I guess the bands can't afford to pay for a second adjudicator as apparently they spend all their spare cash on ringers...........;)

10. I don't think there can be any question that the voting system was democratically flawed. Would you be happy if we had a general election where if you didn't vote it would actually count as a vote for the incumbents? However it's their train set and they can make the rules as they wish. I'm more frustrated at the apathy shown by so many NW bands, although I suppose it's possible the majority are happy with the status quo.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    North West
    Yorkshire
    section
    Adjudicators
    Sunday morning observation
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to count "We can't be bothered to walk to the letterbox to answer your question" as failing to indicate dissatisfaction with the status quo. Apathy tends to indicate not having a serious problem in such circumstances.

I rather suspect more people would bother to vote in a general election than currently do if it was run under the same rules...

13. Accidental

Its hardly the same as a general election!
    My points were 1) it was made clear to the bands how a non-vote would be counted and 2) maybe a lot of those bands that didn't vote were happy to be counted and not apathetic at all.
    I'm also surprised people are grumbling about something that happened 2 years ago.... what exactly is that going to acheive? If enough people feel strongly about it now, then ask for the issue to be re-visited before next years areas and make sure your bands vote.

14. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Really?
    That sounds like a rather convoluted and unwieldy route toward democracy in banding, we need a unified approach across all 8 regions via a national body, imo.

15. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Why ?

Well said Frontman. Many complain but take no action. write to Peter Bates, but be prepared to pay for a second man in the box .

16. When do these meetings take place? I assume each bands secretary is made aware of them?

We need more bums on seats at North West meetings if people are really wanting 2 adjudicators.

17. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Why have 2? You'll only be twice as annoyed when you think they've both got the placings wrong!

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

People are assuming two adjudicators is a better solution than one....

19. It's far from a panacea, but the fact that all regions except the NW use two suggests it is the preferred option.

20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Slight tangent here perhaps , but what's the situation if the one adjudicator in a box becomes suddenly incapacitated due to illness halfway through a contest ?

(PS Mods - serious enquiry , not a wind up or attempt to wish ill to anyone )

21. Accidental

actually, they don't... LSC & North only have 1 adjudicator per section as well, and possibly Wales too?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    North West
    Yorkshire
    section
    Adjudicators
    Sunday morning observation