Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Dec 18, 2010.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Can anyone from the moderation team explain why the "transposing instrument" thread has been locked, without any form of comment or justification?

I am not suggesting for a moment that there was not not a good reason for so doing, but to do it so abruptly without any explanation is, IMHO tantamount to rudeness ...
  2. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I agree.

Just because someone doesn't like the thread should not mean nobody is allowed to play, especially when giving zero reason
  3. Blower

Blower Member

I agree, I was finding it really interesting even though I admit to not fully understanding all of it!!
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I can only imagine someone requested for it to be locked but still, a less abrupt approach would have been nice...
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

So David, have you now grasped the concept of when an instrument is classified as transposing and non-transposing? [​IMG]
  6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I can practically see the mods reaching to press the 'locked' button..... ! ;)
  7. Al

Al Member

I have just read most of the thread and found it very interesting.

Some of the posts asked the same questions and offered the same answers I had as a young lad playing a G Trom in a brass band and an orchestra. All those years ago, playing such an instrument was considered a black art but was so simple depending on how you approached the music and the instrument.
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

And I didn't even get a chance to post a reference to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

"It's only a flesh wound!"
    "Come on and fight, you pansy!"

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  9. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I did carry this on with defnotsimon through PM's.

I do believe that there is agreement, but I will not post it here, It belongs in the thread.

As for Bayerd question. I have always know when a instrument is transposing, thanks. ;)
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

When I saw the thread title, I thought Gareth was starting up a philosophical debate on the meaning of life :oops:

As a serial transposer on the Bass Trumpet (about 20% of my work), I find that it is best to have 'C' or Concert pitch as a base and then work at intervals either side of it. I've read some of the posts on this and the closed threads and think that most people are saying pretty much the same thing, just in different ways.

I suppose, just to play devil's avocate, there is a difference between a transposing INSTRUMENT and a transposing PLAYER :wink:
  11. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I think that sums it up nicely. It's not perhaps as black & white an answer as some would like, but as it comes from someone who has to move between the worlds of concert-pitch and transposing instruments (&scores) for a living it is perhaps the correct view.
  12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

For a period I conducted a brass band in New Jersey and some of the players had no previous brass band experience. They tended to think and speak entirely in concert pitch. So in rehearsal if one of those cornet players asked me if in a certain bar they should be playing A flat and B flat, I didn't immediately twig that they meant B flat and C in my transposed score. To avoid confusion it was necessary to learn quickly who were and who weren't brass-band trained players.
  13. euphoria

euphoria Member

I have conducted two bands where the bass trombone players could play their parts (in C and bass clef) with no problems, but they both transposed the notes back to Bb in their heads :eek:.

If I asked what note they were playing they would say perhaps a D even if their part had a written (and sounding) C. That took some time getting used to.

14. bigsound

bigsound Member

I agree Brian concert pitch and Brass Band pitch is confussing for some, and i also think Troms get confused even easier because of the cleffs.
  15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I promise never to wind up 13 ball again :rolleyes:
  16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

You could have fooled me.......
  17. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Has to be said....

18. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

In one sentence, when the note played and sounded are the same, no transposition by the instrument is done.

The note played still being the one played by the player which can be different to that on any piece of paper read.
  19. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

When I read of a brass band treble clef part but mentally convert it to concert pitch (a-la tenor clef) whilst playing it, am I transposing, is the instrument, or both?
  20. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

And what if you read tenor clef as treble whilst adding two sharps or dropping two flats and then cover the alto trom part by reading it as treble whilst adding two sharps and dropping two flats and transposing up a third ( a-la trumpet in D) and go on to read the bass trom part by calling the 2nd line bottom brass band C and adding two sharps or dropping two flats?
    And is it really fifth position if your head thinks of it as 2and3? :icon_confused:
    Easier to switch to tenor horn.....