Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by daveredhead, Oct 18, 2007.

1. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

I read with dismay that the tMP band at Pontins has been cancelled due to lack of signed up personel, I know i was late to sign up myself, but wondered why we can not get a band togethere for what i consider a very fun but musically sound evening?? , with a usually appreciative audience of bands personel, Is it because of apathy, lack of funds, or have we lost the good natured spirit of tMP, which i have enjoyed over the last couple of years ,I would appreciate fellow tMPrs comments on this. It has been one of my mane reasons for going to Pontins, and the chance to meet fellow tMPrs at a very social event.
  2. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

i agree, i have to honest i haven't been online for a while (work is mad) but planned on signing up tonight, as agreed with super sop was gonna play any instrument that was needed, it's a great weekend. I was also wondering whether anyone has space in their chalet, it's just little old me and i'll be in the bar or asleep for most the wwekend
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

So with you 2, me and Bartman (Anker jnr) we have a quartet, any other takers for an impromtu performance?
  4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

**Bites lip** so as not to upset mumsie again.:oops:
  5. Listen, I really would, but I'm principal cornet at another band...
  6. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

i need somewhere to stay though, anyone know of a small space going in a chalet?
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

we are not playing in the contest so it does'nt matter if you are playing with another band, most of us are.
  8. Oh, right.

Thanks for that - I'll bear it in mind for the future.
  9. I didn't find the thread till late. Did I miss it the home page? - I'm sure it was there last year.
  10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No, it wasn't on the homepage.
    It was posted as a "sticky" post on top of the Rehearsal Room forum. And of course it showed up in the New Posts list every time somebody signed up in the thread. At the time, we decided that that would be sufficient to attract enough attention (even though we were pretty late in setting up the recruitment thread). Apparently it wasn't...
  11. Oh well

Should be able to do it next time
  12. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Did the tmp band tell the Pontins organisers that there weren't sufficient members to form a band? Most years, there have been a lot of people who decide to join in at the last minute.

Does it have anything to do with the new Army Brass Band performing before the championship section results?
  13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

With all due respect we cannot rely on members signing up at the last minute in the hope we can put out a full and balanced band. On top of this we have to consider the organisers who have schedules to organise and programmes to print. Unfortunately on this occasion it was evident that we wouldn't be able to field a full band and made the decision to cancel our performance.

Regarding the appearance of the Army Brass Band, this had no bearing whatsoever on our decision to cancel.

Hopefully we will be able to put a band together next year, but it really does depend on you, our members, registering an interest when these threads appear.

14. eanto

eanto Member

Agreed, a last minute ad-hoc assembly doesn't help anyone.
  15. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

I think ALL my playing is ad-hoc, lucky to finish sometime
  16. People will be people - you'll never get everyone signing up early
  17. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I know a lot (me included) from down here, won't be able to attend pontins this year, as once again it is on the same weekend as SWBBA contest.... own band commitment is of course more important.... we would have played with the tMP if we were able to go though!
  18. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I think that this is a real shame that tMP cant get a band together. Every year since i have been to ponins i have played and i was really hoping to sign up. I had lost my password (yes again) and only just found it.

Why havn't people signed up is it becasue of work or how busy they are?

Because its not like pontins will be short of brass banders that weekend, Is it?

Anyway this is a real shame and im gonna miss it this year.

Love Donna x
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'm sorry, I appreciate you are young but you have stepped over the line here. You know little if very little about what we do at Pontins and how we do it. We have done Pontins every year for the last 4 years and have had many people signing up early.

Please refrain from making comments on items you have no idea about. Yes, you are young and are learning, but as I pointed out to you before, you'd do well to reserve comment on items you know nothing about.
  20. Okay, sorry

I was just making a general observation about life

Musicians can be far more organisied than others, I suppose