Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sparkling_quavers, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

...do our neighbours think it is a good time to put cow manure on the garden the day when we decide to have a BBQ? was interesting last night! "please ignore the smell..." :rolleyes:
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Eeeuuuw, not nice. Mind you, cow manure is not as bad as pig manure. At least thats what I think it was. Just arrived at a caravan site at easter, levelled the van, got the water and waste all set up, just about ready to start doing lunch when the tractors in the field on the opposite side of the lane come right up to the edge of the field spreading muck. It actually came through our hedge and lumps of it were landing within a couple of feet of the van. We got it and closed the doors but the smell was sooooo foul we upped and went. We all felt quite sick by the time we'd got the van back on the road and the smell took all evening to get out of the van! :eek: When we called the lady (she wasn't in when we left) to say what had happened, she said its "only a country smell" as if we were townies and never been near the countryside in our lives. :frown: In all my years of caravanning, i've never come across anything so horribly smelly. :(
  3. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Townies... :rolleyes:

My last house was right beside a big pit of the stuff! (Wasn't too bad when you got used to it, and it's much nicer than horse manure, believe me!).
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Was it your neighbours who told you to ignore the smell or the other way round?

;) ;)
  5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Did you invite your neighbours to the barbeque?
  6. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

hahaha awwww sorry i shouldnt laugh... but seriously tho, once you live near it you get used to it.. abit.
  7. Di

Di Active Member

No, sorry. I would like to have been able to challenge anyone to have spent a night there. We're not townies, live in a very rural area and have camped on many farms with many country smells. But this was THE WORST thing we've ever come across. I don't know exactly what it was, but I never want to smell it again to find out!
  8. NeilW

NeilW Member

Its usually pretty horrible until it rains again (maybe that's why they did it this w/e - rain forecast...)

They spread slurry on the field opposite and that's about 100 acres, so gives off a good niff!

Don't think any sort of poo is much better / worse than any other. Our neighbours have just put 2 horses in another neighbouring field, and its just "different". We just contribute the smell of sheep. All are much better after rain has broken it down a bit...

(its either just very dark grey outside, or is finally raining in Oxford - won't stop the hosepipe bans though...)
  9. postie

postie Member

That's neighbours for you ours think's it's funny to light a bonfire. That's really quite annoying as well.
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well Rachel:
    Thats sounds a disgrace,as you are having your bbqYou should have come to the SUNNY WEST MIDLANDS and got the meat from our company then with the topjolly smells that come from our BBQ Range of products that COW S**T would have been blown away for good:clap: :tup
  11. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Try deep litter chicken manure Uuuuuugh:mad:
  12. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

i think pigs are the worst, but chickens are pretty bad.
    our neighbours dont have bbqs, but we do hold firework contests on bonfire night ;) unintentionally of course (honest)
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you've ever actually cleaned out chicken manure, or been around when it is being done, you'd know it is worse than pigs by far: when we cleaned out the chicken sheds at House o' the Trees even the laundry room stank for ages afterwards :eek:
  14. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

When in army (6,000,000)years ago, when on leave, cleaned out chicken conveyor belts for £5.00 per day, fortunatly, camp had good showers and laundry room, but i did not pull for weeks:confused: