Why the need to know?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DaveEb, Sep 16, 2009.

1. DaveEb

DaveEb Member

Maybe its all the furore over the open and Mr. Meads comments that makes me twitchey or maybe i just got it plain wrong??

Why when attending a contest that is own choice do you need to tell the organisers which piece you are playing.

Also the contest is pre-drawn.

Am i just joining in with conspiracy theories or do I have a point.

However I would be happy if we had open adjudication a draw was published including the piece you were to play, maybe the secrecy that has surrounded the adjudicator hiding in the box and the supposed secrecy around draws causes these issues.

If an adjudicator is appointed then he should be unbiased whether in a box not knowing who is who or in the open knowing exactly which band you are from.
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

1. Not all own choice contests require this.

2. Those that do, well, perhaps it's so that they can give the adjudicator a list of the pieces he's going to be hearing (without telling him who's playing what) so that he can dig out the scores and do some preparation on the pieces before the day? I'd certainly hope that's what a conscientious adjudicator would do ...

Perhaps the more important question should be, "why do not all own choice contests require you to tell them what piece you will be playing before the event?" ...
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Well, quite. If there's a piece an adjudicator doesn't know being played, 30-40 minutes before the contest isn't enough time to prepare it properly. If there are three or four "new" pieces on show, it becomes impossible. Which could conceivably lead to bands playing "well-known" pieces being inadvertently penalised, because the adjudicator is more likely to know from previous experience what the pitfalls and difficulties of that piece are.
  4. DaveEb

DaveEb Member

Well I hope the reason why is so that the adjudicators prepare. So why dont we just open it up, they know what piece is being played, they can find out the draw, and see who is entered, so why sit them in a box with a curtain round them having to pee in a bucket??
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I doubt sticking a really good adjudicator in a box removes his/her ability to determine who's onstage anyway....

Let's face it, they're supposed to be chosen for their listening ability!
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Have you read David Read's excellent book "Beyond the Box"? If not, may I recommend you do so. The answers to some of your questions might be found in the later chapters. It seems that many experienced adjudicators are not in favour of open adjudication, however the reasons for this are apparently nothing to do with "knowing who's playing", rather to do with considerations such as distraction and concentration ...
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Would you rather have them peeing in the open then? ;) :tongue:

At the ODBBA Entertainment Contest (open adjudication) we asked all bands to send unmarked scores for the pieces they would be playing. Not only does this allow the adjudicator to familiarise himself beforehand with the music so that he knows what to listen for, it saves our stewards an awful lot of running around with pieces of music on the day!