Why SOLO cornet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Just a quick question.....

Why is the solo cornet part called solo cornet when generally there are 4 people playing it?

Does anybody actually know or have any theories?
    (am not overly worried about knowing, I'm just bored and thinking)

2. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

At least there is a printed part called Solo Cornet.
    I'd like to lob another one in here and ask what a 'Solo Baritone' or 'Solo Trombone' is.
    I don't ever see those listed in a score!

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

My guess would be that it was originally just one player, the others being classified as 'ripieno', roughly translated as 'those providing reinforcement'.

But cornet players being what they (sorry, we) are, everyone wanted to be soloist....and ripieno became corrupted to repiano.

D

4. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Personally, in my score I adopt the principle of naming trombone like I do my horns:

Solo Horn
    1st Horn
    2nd Horn

Therfore to keep in line with this naming convention I use:

Solo Trombone
    1st Trombone
    Bass Trombone

Personally I don't think at matters too much so long as the score and parts have the exact same naming convention.

Does ripeno originate from the Concerto Grosso and not from the brass band? Mind u, in that case, the ripeno should have been changed to the Concertino! ;) ;)

5. well, why can't we all be solo cornets??? apart from the people who don't play cornet!!!

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'd just like to protest in the strongest possible terms about the recent contribution by straighmute to the 'Why SOLO cornet' debate. I have a number of friends who play or have played repiano and only a few of them have ever been corrupted.

Yours, in a white wine sauce etc. etc.

;-)

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I think it's so that the cornet players are happy sharing a part - calling it Solo Cornet makes it sound better so that they think it's a good thing... 8)

(There's only ONE flugel :wink: )

Kirsty

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

That's only because you can't get ONE flugel to play in tune let alone two! :shock: :wink:

*Runs and hides from all the other Flugel players on this forum*

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

This is probabaly so the music publishers can put all the front row's cornet parts on one sheet of music, meaning less type setting and more profit.

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

it's because cornet players are lazy and so need to share out the hard stuff :wink:

...memories of being told "no I can't help you with that timp, i've got to carry my cornet AND mutes...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SOLO cornet
    quick question
    people
    Does
    theories
  12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Hardly! At least Ripiano and Flugel no longer have to share the same music as in earlier days. Now there was a case of cutting costs.

13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Could be true, although it can take more time to lay out a part with divisi parts than one with a single-line part, particularly if you're going to have to engrave it before you can print it.

I've always believed that the origin of the term was originally a synonym for "principal", meaning the top chair of the section. As band music got more sophiticated, the use of split parts increased. Composers just don't seem to be able to work within limits, sometimes :)

14. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

It's because all of us "solo" players have delusions of grandeur.

15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I see I'm going to have to instill the "Flugel Mantra" into you...

"The Flugel is always right, The Flugel is always right, The Flugel is always right..." :wink:

16. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Back in the early 80s, we had two flugels for a couple of seasons. It made the part a lot easier to hear :p

17. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

You'd better! :hammer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. WoodenFlugel

I was of course speaking from PERSONAL experiance :p :shock:

19. WoodenFlugel

Anyway....back on topic, I always assumed that they were called solo cornets just because they played the tune, or solo line more often than not. :dunno

But then I may be a musical numpty. :roll:

20. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

That doesn't explain "solo horn" or "solo euphonium", which are also used on some parts. But those could be a copy of "solo cornet", I guess.

21. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In the military band world, particularly with older arrangements, it is quite common for the clarinet parts to be labelled as "Solo, ripieno, 2nd & 3rd".

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SOLO cornet
    quick question
    people
    Does
    theories