Why so many bass players?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mattthebass, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

I've conducted a little social study while posting on here. I've found that a significant number of regular posters on here are bass players, in particular EEb bass players. Is there something in the make up of the bass players that draws him/her to this website?

Or are we on our Blackberry's bored in rehearsal as we go there that Cornet section again?

2. Beesa

Beesa Member

Bass players, by their (our) very nature are grumpy, combative and bolshie. One of them usually carries the default mantle of spokesperson within the band.

EEb bass players more so, but I'm not sure why.

tmp provides a suitable platform for their assertions and it may well be that more of them naturally gravitate towards here than other sections of the brass band do.

3. nethers

nethers Active Member

Bb players are generally the gentle giants in my opinion, the John Coffey character or that tall guy from Everybody Loves Raymond.

Ebs are often more like Eric Cartman...

I'll be hiding in my bunker!

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I agree BBb players are more like Kyle Broflovski. Intelligent, and often misunderstood by the more vociferous Cartman types that play EEb.

Pleas PM me the address of your bunker

[​IMG]

5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Respect my authoritah !!

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

All these South Park references go way over my head. As the elder statesman of my band (and therefore of the bass section) I see it as my duty to be grumpy, churlish and occasionally bombastic, with a heady note of pomposity and flatulence! After all, I do know what is best for the band. BTW, cornets, get your collective acts together. Some of us is getting Booooooooored playing oompah, while you lot practice macramé on your fingers! :evil:

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I'm proud to report that I often displayed all of these fine qualities over many years of EEb Bass playing It's good to know that these endearing characteristics are still flourishing. Other sections are indeed fortunate to have the benefit of our undoubted wisdom on a wide variety of subjects and also the added bonus of us pointing out the error of their ways at every available opportunity !

~ Mr Wilx

8. Laserbeam bass

And for the uninitiated

[​IMG]

9. what in the name of god am i then!?

10. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

I wonder what name they'll give to a gathering of bass players when we go for the world record this year, a Grump, a moan?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    EEb
    Cornet
    Blackberry
    rehearsal
    particular EEb bass players
  12. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

You're right about the spokesman bit, in the four bands I've played with there was alway a member of the bass rank on the Committee as a minimum, but usually Secretary or Chairman. We can't help ourselves. I'm in band and we're discussing things and that phrase comes up, 'any volunteers', it's like my arm takes over, it's shooting into the air and I can't stop it!

Lo

13. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

safety in numbers is my guess

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Well, if we didn't have to keep pointing out the flaws in the cornets, we'd have to start on the Horns. There'd be tears! :D

15. paddo

paddo Member

Ian, after many years of helping your section out I have never seen you as that, now come to think of it or me, I am never grumpy, bombastic or anything like that hahahaha

16. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Bass players are more prone to pondering things, in my experience. I'm surprised that BassBlaster hasn't come in on this thread yet...

Trombonists are also thinkers of a sort, but lack the co-ordination to type full sentences choernetrlky.

17. nethers

nethers Active Member

Spaek fur yourslef mayte.

18. Laserbeam bass

19. timo

timo New Member

Quite agree, never seen any of those traits in you Mark...... as for me becoming a grumpy old man by the day. Perhaps it's time to stop blowing an promote myself to drums.

Old Euphomium players never die they become bass players.

20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Rubbish. I've never touched one of those toy tubas in my life Ha ! Ha !
    Old Bass Players never die ~ They simply blow away !!

~ Mr Wilx

21. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    EEb
    Cornet
    Blackberry
    rehearsal
    particular EEb bass players