Why not valve trombones?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by wagger-g, Oct 22, 2010.

1. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

I was just musing about our inability to recruit a solo trombone and realised that our problems would be solved over night if the contesting rules allowed the use of the valved variety.

Many jazz musicians on the valve version make sounds just about indistinguishable from the slide so there should be little loss of tone colour. Glissandi are all but confined to the 'novelty' numbers so no real problem there.

So why not? Bring on the valve twiddling trombonists I say!

2. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Do the rules allow/stop us using Euphs with slides instead of valves?:-?
    The problem with the whole valve-trom thing is that just as Bari players are failed euph players, valve trom players would inevitably be failed bari players. The musical depths plumbed here would be low indeed;)

3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

In the same way that BBb players are failed EEb players? :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. excuse me... at championship level BBb bass is just as challenging as EEb!!!

5. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

touche. You got me there to be fair:eek:

6. GinGinnie

GinGinnie New Member

Errr Don't want to dampen your bonfire, but I hardly think Paganini is a "Novelty"item. How would you propose the trombone parts be played on a valve trombone?

7. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Iv just moved from BBb to EEb bass... does that mean im slightly better now? :D Hahaa

8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think you may have this back to front

9. Hells Bones

Let the EEb vs. BBb argument begin!!! ;)

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Good, that saves me the trouble of explaining why valve trombones are banned...

11. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Fine, but I'd still like to know if/why slide euphs/baris are not allowed either.

12. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Has one been manufactured?

13. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Thats just being pedantic - give me a couple of hours in the garage tomorrow and I'll see what I can do. They laughed at Adolphe Sax at first.

14. blue juice

blue juice Member

To be honest, it really doesn't take long to learn trombone if you play another instrument already. Took me about a week to learn bass trombone to about 3rd section standard.

15. Hells Bones

Is there a like function?

If you think you mastered 3rd section bass trombone in a week, you're underestimating 3rd section bass trombonists.

16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

So you can't play it then?

17. blue juice

blue juice Member

Ok well good enough to play bass trom with a 3rd section standard band for a series of concerts.

18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

You're just what I'm looking for. Can I have a lesson?

19. blue juice

blue juice Member

Lesson 1 is how to sound like a rusty chainsaw

20. feelyon

feelyon New Member

Well valve trombones obviously not allowed/advisable due to the fact that as we already outblow the rest of the band so having the valves would let us outperform the rest of the band in 'twiddly' sections as well. Just muse for a second on a valved Bass Trombone... I get shivers thinking of the possibilities.
    The downside is that our ability to have the flexibility to (in my case, ahem) tune to perfection with our slides would be compromised and we would have to get used to being as out of tune as the rest of the band.
    Having in years gone by played Bass trom, bari, percussion and 1st horn in Montage I would argue that we tenor troms are flexible too.(Ok so the horn in Montage was hell on earth and our guest conductor was as well and I was pregnant)
    We could have two instruments on the stage and switch to slide trom for any glissandi work and a personal helper(like pianists' page turner) to help us with music, mutes, instruments, drinks, snacks, count bars rest......

Sorry, sorry..getting carried away and that's what happens when your 4 yr old insists that 6.12 is getting up time every morning.:-?