Why is Young Amadeus called Young Amadeus?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I always thought it was because it was based on a tune that he wrote when he was young, but a documentary I saw a bit of recently seemed to say that that piece was one of his last, so why is it called Young?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Young Amadeus
    documentary
    bit
    tune
    piece
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe the film for which the arrangement was made featured him in his younger days, and he never exectly lived to old age, anyway ;)

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Yes I thought it came from the title of the film. The theme is based on one of his clarinet concertos. (Don't know which one)

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As he only wrote (completed?) one, it may be from THE clarinet concerto ;)

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, it is based on the middle movement of the Eb concerto. I've never known why it is called THe Young Amadeus though, as the concerto was one of the last pieces he wrote. However, as Mozart was only in his 30s when he died, I suppose he was always the young Amadeus? :confused:

7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Perhaps because it sounds like a GCSE composition!!!!!!

8. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

The Eb Concerto? When last I looked it was in A major. It was written in the October of 1791, just a few weeks before he died.

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I'm sure Mozart meant to write it in Eb! :tongue:

Isn't it strange how your memory plays tricks on you - I was convinced this was in Eb....... :oops:

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

As I recall, the 'Young' is more a reference to its intended audience. The Young Amadeus, the Young Messiah, The Young Verdi... I believe they were conceived as some sort of 'rock operas' for children, but it seems they only really became popular in the Netherlands.

I'm not 100% certain of the above, but I seem to remember seeing it somewhere! ;)

Still, if I'm right, perhaps this can form the basis for tMP to do its own rock opera for children.... The Young BOC'! ;) (Only the 'C' of 'BOC' will have to indicate something other than its present definition! :))

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Surely then it would be a BYC.;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Young Amadeus
    documentary
    bit
    tune
    piece
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not wishing to be pedantic (OK, I do wish to be pedantic :)) but if the 'Young' of 'Young Amadeus' refers to its potential audience, 'The Young BOC' is intended to introduce a young audience to the life and knowledge of a Boring OLD........ Codger!

:) :)

(Gets coat, as it's blowing a hoolie here on Arran... :))

p.s. I surmised that 'Young Amadeus' was a 'rock opera'. The tMP version could, of course, be a BOC opera! :)

14. Marlon Bando

Marlon Bando New Member

I believe you are correct, Dave. Changing the music from 3/4 to 4/4 and adding a drum kit means the music is designed for 'young' audiences, and is more trendy, etc, etc. or was.....

The second mvt, of the original, i believe IS in Eb major. WOrks well on a horn, with one or two alterations.

15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Ahh, maybe that's what I was thinking of :biggrin: :tup

DaveR