Why is it so many people have stopped commenting on threads?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adamskied, May 28, 2015.

1. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Seems to me that tmp has lost alot of the people
    that used to comment on threads over the last year.

Any ideas why?
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Happens every year. Sometimes more join than leave; sometimes it's the other way round. Some stick around for long periods, others dip their toes then go elsewhere.

Since the rise of Facebook (long time ago now!) there's been noticeably less traffic here.

A few years ago, I thought this place was in terminal and rapid decline. But it seems quite stable now at a relatively low level of commenting compared to what went on here when it was new and there were fewer social media challengers.
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Can't speak for anyone else, and definitely agree to a large extent with Moomin re. Facebook, but for me the biggest reason for the change compared with 5+ years ago is simply the number of wind-up merchants/trolls/people who think nasty=funny, active on here these days!
  4. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

That's what I thought Alex.
  5. Phil3822

Phil3822 Member

Completely agree. Considering the small number of regular posters there are a few who like the wind up or are actually nasty. As a relatively inexperienced player who is trying to improve it puts me off posting often. I am however very grateful for the help I have received when asking questions which keeps me coming back.
  6. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Completely agree. A few weeks ago I decided to step back from the forum and post a lot less because decent threads were being destroyed by stupid comments from the wind-up types. Lord knows why such low lifes have not been booted out of the forum. Red October was removed and there's a few others who should be removed too so that people who are interested in using this forum for its proper purpose can do so in peace.

Bye for now 2T.
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

8. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Got to agreed with Accidental, Jim Yelland and 2nd tenor. I have refrained from contributing because of some vitriolic
  9. tallyman

tallyman Member

Don't be so soft lads.
  10. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Or getting bored with those who deviate from the subject mooted to have a rant. Red October was one such idiot. - checkout the definitionof the word idiot I have used the word in exactitude.
  11. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I now only comment on a thread where I can be sure of being either not controversial, or won't get some troll trying a wind up.
  12. David Evans

David Evans Member

Yes indeed, I am a new contributer, but for how long I don't know. I really enjoy some of the well crafted clever and witty replies but like many others, I don't relish being the victim of some exaggerated sense of outrage by some juvenile eunuch. I will either have to rely on the mods or withdraw my toe from the water which is a shame as I would hope to contribute something to the forum. We shall have to see.
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  13. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Ditto to cornet nev
  14. owain_s

owain_s Member

There are a small number of contributers who deem it necessary to participate in almost every thread.

Unwittingly, they become little more than trolls and/or spam, and make it difficult for others to participate meaningfully.
  15. tallyman

tallyman Member

Nev trolls don't exist, don't worry santa is real so don't forget to leave out a can of special brew and a mince pie on christmas eve.
  16. Mello

Mello Member

Not that it really matters to anyone but myself, but I pulled back simply because it seemed every time I posted , someone wanted to either have a pop at me or try to discredit anything I had to say, Yet I can honestly state my intentions were always honest and aimed at helping whenever I could.

However, I continue to read the site , but have no wish to disturb the water again.....it's much more peaceful that way , and I am sure the knockers are happier. ( So don't bother having a pop at this post as I will not rise or respond to it ).
  17. Thom

Thom New Member

I can give you a new forumite perspective if it's of any use, although I am conscious that it is not directly in answer to the original post.

Firstly it's not so easy to become a member of this forum, or at least it wasn't for me. Ok well it's fairly easy in the scheme of things but in the fast ever changing digital world of this here new fangled internet it could be off putting to some. I lurked a bit, got a bit excited about joining and then, one day, in an explosion of enthusiasm registered and waited to post.......and waited.........and waited......for over a week. This doesn't sound like much but by then my enthusiasm had waned a little and the thread I wanted to post on had moved on. Yes I am shallow but I'm perhaps not the only one out there who is. Anyway I then sent a cuttingly witty email to a moderator to enquire about when my account would be activated to receive back a very dry, sarcastic response - a little off putting to say the least.

Regarding trolls. The 2 forums I have most experience of tackle them in different ways. One of them requires real names to be used rather than fake avatars which cuts out the worse of it. The other allows pretty much anything as long as it is legal but there are specific areas of the forum for larking about and people who like to mess about are directed there. There is also an option to block content from other posters if you just don't want to receive their nonsense, not sure if that option exists here.

It seems to me that a few of the posters on this thread would prefer a forum which is not anonymous. Perhaps the mods could create a sub forum for serious banders who can only access it if they use their real name?
  18. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

The issue with real names on this forum (apart from psychos who might want to track you down) is that when a person gives an opinion on a controversial topic, then, if they are easily associated with a specific band, especially one at the top end of banding, then people will assume that they are speaking with the authority of their band behind them.

There are very few regular posters on here any more who openly acknowledge that they are a member of Dyke, Cory, Grimey, or whatever... and I think the reason for that is because I have seen a few of them get absolutely trolled and harassed. There was a lad from Cory (I think it was) who posted on here about a Welsh TV ensemble talent show in which his band, and others, were competing. The poor lad was absolutely smashed about on here by a few morons: needless to say, he just disappeared from here. Once the guys at the top end of banding disappear, then I think you just get left with only sporadic threads that are of genuine interest amidst a load of guff about nonsense.

Given that you are experienced on internet forums, you'll probably be surprised to discover what somebody else mentioned earlier: this forum has a particular type of member who will post about absolutely anything...I mean, you'll see posts written in response to some technical questions that begin with something like: "I know you asked about Flugel Horns, but I know absolutely nothing about them, but here's my opinion anyway and here's a link to a shop a sells brass instruments; check it out!".
  19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

To be honest I've never noticed anyone having a pop at you, although I'll concede that I don't check the forum very regularly. The worst I've seen is that you are ignored, but i think that's at least partly due to you stating in many of your posts that it is your last post (no pun intended), you will not reply, or you are leaving the forum for good. You actually come accross as a one armed man trying to nail himself to a crucifix most of the time, although I can understand this if forum members have treated you poorly in the past. As for the happy 'knockers', I think you may be confusing tmp with another internet site that you visit?
  20. Thom

Thom New Member

There is no easy answer of course, all options have positive and negative sides. Just to be clear - the forum I was referring to which uses real names requires everyone to use real names which cuts down on trolling quite a bit (although not completely). It is also self policing to a large extent. Having said all that the main "names" (it is also a minority sport/pastime with big names/personalities) still rarely post on it for reasons you mention. Forum webmasters/moderators have a very tricky job!