Why I'm glad not to conduct a top band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    url
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

From Fodens point of view suppose it was the only real decision they could make. Apart from the US open they have had a string of bad results (comparatively speaking) , not associated with such a fine band.

Im sure we shall see them back up there challenging again at the next contest they do.

Bit of a cut throat business this banding lark innit! :eek:

:wink:

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Exactly, Chris!

From the brass band world's point of view, it can be viewed as the biggest of my many weak points, just trying to comprehend how a musical ensemble can be judged on 'results' (IF, indeed, that is the case). It's getting too much like sport instead of an art form for my liking, but hey! we still love it! ;-) ;-)

5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Yeh i reckon with some top bands, their is probably more than just the odd bad result. Politics hey :roll:

and we always will! :D...wonder when we will have our first brass band contest streaker then?? :lol:

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having seen and heard Fodens under Thomas Wyss a couple of times it did not seem to be the most comfortable of partnerships, but whether more time together would have done the trick it is hard to say.

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

conductor roundabout

Having played in a couple of bands conducted by tom wyss , I can say he's a top bloke and a really good conductor, and superb arranger..

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Would liven a dull contest up!

9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

but surely the contest results can be partly put down to interpretation at that level, and the Professional MD must take some of the blame!

10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Their professional MD (Bram Tovey) has not conducted them in contest since the appointment of Tom Wyss, who has conducted them at every contest in this period.

This is not a total surpise. Wonder who they will get in to replace him? Wouldn't it be great if Howard Snell could be tempted out of retirement :D

11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'll let him off then, cheers John!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    url
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Re: conductor roundabout

Unfortunately, in the top echelon results are more important than personality, or even conducting talent. I hope he catches on with someone else.

14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

16. jambo

jambo Member

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

18. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

I think you'll find that at the top level of any field (football, business,banding and yes, in the wider musical world ie professional orchestras) if a partnership is not working as it should or is hoped, it is more often than not terminated. This is the way top level banding works and those involved in it know that. You take the rough with with smooth. If you are a conductor (like a football manager) you expect to get the flack if results (both actual and performances) don't go as planned.

I'm sure Thomas Wyss will find success somewhere else and may well get the last laugh another time (life has a habit of that-look at Claudio Ranieri!).

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Professional orchestra conductors do get judged largely on performances, but do at least give their conductors some time to stamp their personality/authority or otherwise. I suppose it's part of the reason Leonard Slatkin and the BBCSO parted company, but that association did last (at least) two years, didn't it? My point was that the 4br article implies Wyss was judged largely on competitive results over a relatively short period of time (maybe not in banding terms, just my view) and whilst I'm not so naive to think it's by any means the first time (or last) that it occurs, it's just a part of the 'big, wide banding world' I can't get my head round. Just my take on it.

20. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

I agree with you to an extent, but those outside the situation (4bars rest included) can only speculate on the possible reasons. It is possible that the partnership was not working in more ways than just the results . If thats the case then surely its better to end it sooner rather than later for all concerned.

21. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Absolutely. No critcism of 4br intended. There may well have been other issues we'll never know about! I'm still glad I don't conduct a top band, though!

22. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Yep, its certainly not everybody's cup of tea for sure! Think you have to be a certain type of personality for it and part of that it being very thick skinned and a will to bounce back when required!