Why don't smokers quit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TIMBONE, Nov 12, 2005.

TIMBONE Active Member

I am a smoker. Have given up many times, but can't last. My mother died from lung cancer Sep 04 (non-smoker).

Us smokers are bombarded with anti-smoking text. Every time I open a pack I am told that it kills, smokers die young, and many other facts. TV ads give stark warnings - people dying of cancer, people who can't breath without a nebuliser. The latest advert has made me even more uncomfortable, the one about blood clots. Brilliant advert.

So, let us imagine that the Government pass a bill to ban smoking, not just in public places, a complete ban. Tobacco becomes an illegal drug.

1. Why don't they.

2. What would happen.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

1 - because the'd lose too much in tax revenue collected from the sale of cigrettes. They are currently on a campaign to reduce the numebr of people smoking and are looking for a balance in the figures relating to income from smokers v's a combination of costs to treat the effetcs of smokers and winning votes.
    2 - It won't...:)
  3. people still do other illegal drugs... so who's to say makin tobacco illegal would stop them? Once ur addicted, thats exactly what you are...

Ive only been a smoker for just over 2 years, and if they made it illegal in a months time... i dont think id be able to stop
  4. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

I'm no expert but will have a stab that it'll be a financial reason that they don't ban smoking out-right....don't they make millions in taxes from it? :confused:

I've often thought though that any money they lost in taxes they would surley save due to decreased demand on NHS resources. Afterall, the consequences of smoking cost the NHS an absolute fortune!

I guess we'll never know what impact a ban would have until it was implemented...would the number of smokers decrease? or maybe it would become the new cannabis? got me thinking now.......:rolleyes:

TIMBONE Active Member

I know John. It would make me and Julie quit. I would just be interested to know what people think the "lowlife" and "scum" would do if they couldn't get a fag.

TIMBONE Active Member

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

At least if they banned it I wouldn't have to fear for my childrens safety when we're out shopping etc because of the inconsiderare smokers who insist on smoking in crowds and holding their cigs just a childrens face level!!

It'd make a lot of the people that you converse with smell a site better too.

It'snever gonna happen tho while the government makes so much revenue from the tax.
  8. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  9. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

The problem with the NHS reducing costs argument is that if all smoking stopped tomorrow the NHS would still be receiving smoking related illnesses from current smokers for quite some time. So there would be a lag phase before the NHS reduction in cost would kick in, even assuming it ever would. Any government which introduced such a measure would saddle itself with a financial problem - lack of income from cigs now yet still an ongoing NHS cost.

Personally I would rather see restrictions on smoking in the streets as well. I don't see a problem with having places where smokers can go to exercise their rights, but I don't see why I should have to inhale that revolting smell whilst walking around town. In Liverpool it is virtually impossible to avoid it.

10. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Dinie, is there any particular reason why you moved that? I deliberately didn't put it in this thread.
  11. im desperate for my dad to stop, he's in his early 60's now and i want him to last a little longer yet, but his smoking is killing him, and the people around him, but no matter how much my family worry about him, he takes no notice, he sez he's only on 5 a day or summin, but thats 5 too many in my view!

i agree with tim, it should be banned completely!

i hate the smell, the coughing, the colour, the used fags messin up the streets, I EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!

hears where the problems come in, if there was a total ban now, people would actually get ill coz apparently you can't just quit, you need to cut down before you quit, otherwise the cravings just drive you doolally.

also its all to do with tax and duty etc, tax would be put on summinelse like petrol or booze, so more people would moan about that insted, altho i would pay a lil more for that if it meant smokin was totally banned.

another problem is it would probably cause more crime, and we aint got enough cops on the beat as it is yet!.

another problem is the cost of stuff to try and help, like your nicorette chewing gum and those plastic things shaped like fags but arent actually fags lol. if they are made cheaper, and they are actually gonna help people stop smoking, then lets lower the price on them, up the price on fags, and make it so people just can't afford to buy them, thats as good as way as owt to get people to quit, and it would mean that more tax and duty could be put on fags, and less on petrol and booze. i dont go out gettin drunk like i did when i was a teenager but i still enjoy a relaxin drink now and again.

its a major issue and problem that i dont think will ever stop, and lets face it, theres too many smokers in this country who would just moan at it, coz they think they arent doin owt wrong!.

my theory is that people shouldnt have started smokin in the 1st place, ive never smoked, therefore if i can do without smokin, then every1else can, simple!
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

All Smokers give up, eventually! And usually before they expected!

Both my parents gave up! Mum from Lung cancer and Dad from a Stroke.:(

As for banning smoking in Public places. Yes please, just because Smokers choose to kill themselves, doesn't give them the right to kill me!
  13. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I agree that smoking is smelly, expensive, damaging to the health. Then why is it I can't give up? I wish some people could be a little more understanding of those who really do try to give up but often 'fall off the wagon'. I appreciate that there are inconsiderate smokers out there. However, there are many, myself included, who try not to impose this filthy, harmful habit on others. My recent attempt to stop smoking cost me £22 in nicotine patches, £17 in lozenges. How long did I go without a cigarette? 3 days :( After 3 days I was really struggling and then saw the advert on TV for the gum. Have you noticed how these adverts now advertise this product for 'cutting down' and not for 'quitting'. I was foolish to think this was a good idea. Why not use both? Have a cigarette if I really needed to but use the lozenges for the most part. What happened? The cigarettes became more frequent and the lozenges less, untill after about a week I thought why bother, I'll give it another proper go next week. Five weeks later I am still saying this and I am back up to my usual amount. A weeks supply of patches are still sitting in my cupboard and I have about 60 lozenges sitting in my car.

Oh well, next week??????????
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The patches and lozenges are nicotine substitutes for the real cancer sticks and used to help wean yourself off them. Most people I know continue smoking not just because of the addiction, but it gives them something to do for a few minutes! If you are smoking a ciggy, just think of how many other things you can be doing during that time!
  15. i still say people shouldn't even start smoking, coz it tastes and smells horrible the 1st time its done so why isnt that enough to put people off from it?
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's more to do with the experience of the 'buzz' or 'high' as a result of the first 'smoke'! Peer pressure as well as it's alleged powers of being a calming agent for nerves.
  17. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Surely there are two issues here,

1. How to stop people starting in the first place - will changing the law really help?
    2. Appropriate support for those giving up - they are where they are - telling them they should not have started does not really help!!

Any addiction is hard to break - it is a habit and many habits surely move from conscious thought to unconscious actions.

All we can do as friends is provide the support as and when it is asked for and not otherwise.

My father-in-law stopped more than 10 years ago. He had a lot of support from the girls at work whenever he got to that habit moment for a ciggie - they brought him a cup of coffee or engaged him in conversation until the urge passed.

Good luck to all of you out there who are trying to stop
  18. NeilW

NeilW Member

You've got to make it unacceptable as a cultural thing.

Driving when you'd had a few drinks used to be "acceptable if you're careful". Its isn't any more.

I think making smoking in public places will help make it something that's unacceptable (or at least, as a non-smoker, I hope so....)

What I can't fathom is how anyone can both smoke and play a brass instrument: it must be like putting your lips onto an ashtray. Yuk.

Positive idea: find someone else to "outlast" giving up. My brother and sister in law were just going to outlast the other as a new year's thing. After a whole year, they bought themselves a dishwasher with the money they'd not burnt (and neither smoked again).

19. andyp

andyp Active Member

It's a mystery to me. I tried fags while at school (the peer pressure thing I guess), smoked for about a month or so then stopped cos I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, and they cost money I wanted for other things. Don't think I was addicted in any sense though.
    People who really are addicted find it very hard to give it up, you're talking feeling really ill, stomach cramps and all sorts, however those who do it purely out of habit, the "social smokers", who "only have one with a pint when I go out" have no excuse, it's just a habit.
    The tax thing is a red herring, the tax burden'd just get shifted elsewhere (or National Insurance would go up, which is every government's trick of raising revenue without putting income tax up, it all goes in the same pot so it's the same thing!
    I think it's possible for anyone to stop smoking if they really want to, it's just that for some it'll take an awful lot more willpower, and help, than others.
    There is a financial reason why politicians don't ban smoking, but it has nothing to do with tax or the NHS - some of them are highly paid directors of tobacco companies. Ken Clarke is on the board of BAT, for example, and he's by no means the only one.
    I think it'll gradually go the way of drink-driving and become socially unacceptable, but it might take 5 to 10 years, it won't happen overnight.
  20. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Not if youre offered one and everyone around you is smoking them, if you say no which everyone tells you to do, youll get laughed at and just look stupid. And before anyone says anything I have never smoked this is from watching people in big group at the bus station...

They dont ban it cause they get lots of money from it.
    If they did most people would get it illegally, youre not allowed cannibis but how many people are adicted to that? People might actually want to start just because its something you can do against the law, like drugs.

I dont like having people smoking around me like at the bus station or in the street or in the kitchen cause it smells in there for aages afterwards. But in pubs I like the smell of it which I dont quite understand.