Why does anybody play the National Lottery?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, so I think all but a few have played the National Lottery at some point, and a good few people will be spending between one and two hundred pounds a year on it.

Winning big money is a long shot, and you don't get to keep your stake.

As an alternative, from January 1st, Nina and I will be buying £100 of premium bonds every three months.

OK, so it's more than we'd shell out on Lottery tickets, and there is no chance of a rollover, and winning (say) £14m, but there sufficient prizes to make it worth checking once in a while.

Come the end of the year, whether we've won anything or not, we'll still have £400 more than if we'd been doing the lottery.

So, why does anybody play the National Lottery?
  2. euphojim

euphojim Member

Hi Will,

I wonder why they do too as the chances of making any real money out of the lottery are so small. I am thinking about putting some money into premium bonds. The average return is 4% (tax free) which is comparable with banks and building societies, after tax, and although there is no guarantee of winning it is only the interest you are gambling with.

Best of luck,

3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

My nearly 3 year old won £100 this very week on the premium bonds and she only has £300 worth which she was given for birthdays and christmas. In between buying houses we bought the full quota and won £50 every month. The winning letter is yellow so you know you`ve won but not how much until you open it which does add to the excitment and suprise.
  4. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

At the beginning of 2007 I decided to complement my savings by purchasing £100 a month of premium bonds and later added an extra £1000 from my bonus - not won a single thing yet :confused:. But as Will says - I do still have my money.

That said, we still do the lottery - someone has to win it :biggrin:
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Some of us just do things!
    Why has there always got to be a reason?
    Premium Bonds?
    Cross dressing
    Tuba playing?
    Christmas cake and cheese?
    Just do what feels natural man

Impulse - the very core of mankind

Thats what a glass of stella and a bottle of very nice vouvray does for you!

Merry thingy
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I look on my lottery as a way of giving to charity. Being an ex-mathematician, I know that the lottery is a laugh, but I also know that some of the money goes to charity. I also have premium bonds, like Will I put about 100 quid away every few months. The money is always available and there is a chance of winning a reasonable (rather than grossly unreasonable) amount of money each month.

I just think the current vast sums offered as the jackpot prize are playing on people's greed. The way folk clamour after such sums is really quite sickening. If I thought they were going to spend some of that money to do some real good for someone else, I'd be less bothered, but it will mostly go in an orgy of greed and self gratification, I suspect.

Ah well, such is the human condition!
  7. floppymute

floppymute Member

Any significance in the fact that 'cross-dressing' is the only example you gave without a question mark?
  8. steve butler

erm, had'nt noticed that, freudian slip or what?

Just think of the outfits I could buy if I won the lottery :redface:
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

are you a versace woman or more M&S in your tastes Mr B? Don`t Evans cater for the "larger lady?" Did you star in the film "Kinky Boots"? I loved that.

Back on topic please folks. Thank you.
  11. steve butler

If I won the lottery, I would buy loads of humbugs for all my friends.
  12. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Remeber that a lot of bras Bands have benifited in the past from lottery grants!!
  13. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I have no idea about the UK National Lottery. In the US, several states have their own lotteries and a few states have cooperated to form a "Big One" called Power Ball.

Now, I too as a former math and statistics professor realize that lotteries are often (although the UK one seems a bit different) "taxation for the statistically impaired".

But how the government uses the money makes a difference to me. For example, in Colorado (where I used to live), it went to Parks and Recreation. More parks, playgrounds, recreation areas, etc. have been built because of lottery money. Giving to Parks and Rec I will buy in.

Where I live now in Indiana the money last year went this way:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.3 Billion[/FONT] has been distributed to the Build Indiana Fund
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$[/FONT]537.6 Million to Teachers' Retirement Fund[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    $[/FONT]349.7 Million to the Pension Relief Fund to help pay for the retirement benefits of police officers and fire fighters The remainder to the Build Indiana Fund
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$[/FONT]1.8 Million[/FONT] has been used to fund the Help America Vote Act

Now I have no problem with "Build Indiana" (a lot of that goes to food banks, roads, and other grants) But I have a REAL problem paying for teachers, fire fighters and police officers getting even better retirement. They already get better retirement than most in any profession. Let them pay in like I have to. So, in my state, because of the way the money is used, I never venture into the lottery.

If they gave grants to the arts (like brass bands) you could sign me up. But in Indiana the a large share goes to those who already have a great retirement. They say it saves us tax dollars. Fine -- let others save me tax dollars.

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well i spend £5 a week on lottery
    have 2 lines on a wed- 1 line i always stick to and a lucky dip line;
    the same on a saturday;
    At work we have 5 lines -we have been doing it for about 8 months and have won £40
    So far myself ive done it since it ever started probably won a bout a grand total of £200.
    The best ive done is 2x£10 on a saturday draw.
    My mum on the other hand does quite well had 4 numbers 4 times with pickups of £23,£55,£75,&£86.
    She aswon quite a number of £10's.
    But when she puts on £7 on each wed&sat draw you would excpect a bit more in return.
    A few years ago my mates dad had 5 numbers and when the last number came out it was one above the number he had got and then when the bonus ball number came out it was one number below.