Why do you like playing in brass bands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JDH, Jun 24, 2005.

Why do you like playing in brass bands?

1. Sound

32 vote(s)
  2. Repertoire

17 vote(s)
  3. Community spirit

30 vote(s)
  4. Contests

33 vote(s)
  5. Others - post reason

11 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JDH

JDH Member

I am probibly unusual on this forum in that I mainly play outside brass bands in orchestras and wind bands :eek: . I am therefore interested in what you see as the unique attractions of playing in a brass band rather than other musical groups?

PS Don't get me wrong - I enjoy playing in brass bands too! I am just interested in what motivates you.
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I only play in brass bands, school wind quintet and orchestra.. would LOVE to play in the jazz band though! :(

But it's fuun! :biggrin::biggrin:

Band social tomorrow night AND 5-a-side footie.. thats why we do it! :wink::biggrin: Cus the social life is ACE! :biggrin::biggrin:
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Living in the middle of the North East coalfield I was brought up with brass bands and see them as part of my heritage. (anyone who is in durham next week for the Miners Gala will know exactly what I mean). I learnt to play through the bands in this area so it was automatic that I joined once I could play and I've never looked back since. I just enjoy everything about the culture.
  4. Soppy

Soppy Member

I too was introduced to brass bands as the first group I played in. But it's the fact that it is the only place were Brass is treated seriously!

The qualtiy too; it's far harder to play in a brass band technically than in anything else, and it's also the only place you can play and Eb cornet!
  5. eflatbassman

eflatbassman New Member

Why?..... Because there is no bigger thrill, that to be sat in a full brass band playing a great piece of music. Everyone playing their own part which gells together and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up ! .... Its better than sex :eek: ........ well ok then, its nearly better than sex !:clap:

6. Incognito

Incognito Member

The advantage of brass bands is that the cornets get to play a lot!
    Its a bit like marathon running, compared to orchestral sprinting.
    Therefore playing in a brass band does wonders for your chops.

However..... it doesn't do much for your musicality in the long run as everything is horseshoed into "that style".
    Just listening to Maurice Andre playing flight of the bumblebee on flugel.
    Brings tears to my eyes, and he recorded it at an age when most brass band corent players have been switched to Bb bass.
    Now why can't british brass bands just push out a bit at the edges a bit and make things a little more fluid and a bit more fitting to the tunes?
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I enjoy a wide range of music-making, large and small groups, vocal and instrumental. I like the thrill of supplying a bass line to a full brass band sound, although there are times when you wish the tubas could be given something a little more adventurous to do! Chamber group playing gives the chance for a little more self-expression, but there is also something magical about a section playing together, reacting to the music as one.

Whilst the shared fellowship can add to the experience, it is the music that makes it for me.
  8. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Pour moi, it's the feeling of being a detrimental part of a big brass sound. Being able to fill out harmonies and soar up and away with a solo line! So on and so forth! I also play in a wind band, which I enjoy, with the difference in tonal colour being a big thing, but wind bands just don't have the same intensity of sound that a good brass band does for me, possibly because of the variation in timbre?!
  9. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

Having started on euphonium and intending to go on that way, there isn't a huge choice as to the kind of groups I play in. I sing as well, but to me that's a more personal/solo thing; I love the feeling of being really part of a band, something that you don't often get in amateur choirs!

I almost put everything down in the poll, but in the end I left out repetoire because it's something I have a lot of arguments over. I love most of the music I've played with brass bands, but there could be more stuff written specifically for us, and let's face it there's a lot of gorgeous orchestral stuff that just wouldn't sound right in band format.

I think for me, the real reason is the company. There's a certain type of person that you just don't meet in other circles - or at least, they don't act the same. Only another bandie can understand the obsession ;)

:D :D

ps Jingleram, do you really mean detrimental?
  10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

See below, this post edited.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

riiiiiight... see, personally i like feeling that i add sound in a positive way, but that may just be me...

(that would explain certain trombonists...)

12. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Have realised the error of my ways. Obviously didn't mean it and you were right to point it out! Meant to say something like 'vital'! In my defence, I have now been nigh on 31 hours without sleep due to staying up last night after school prom playing football from dusk til dawn! My apologies!
  13. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

<-- wordage BOC
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

How about "fundamental"?
  15. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

instrumental? :D
  16. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

"What he said..." PeterBale expressed my feelings about BB perfectly.

BB playing offers much more "face time" and much less rest counting.

The extreme low range of the tuba is exploited in the BBb Bass parts (even without taking liberties with the octave drops!) much more than in any other genre of music.
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I just love contests full stop either playing or going to listen.:biggrin: :tup

When playing at contests i do not listen to anyone else but when i go to listen to a contest i HEAR ALL THE BANDS:tup so you can see if its a fair result by the adjuicator or not and its not always the best band that wins!!!!!:confused:
    To many tales to tell about that.:eek:
  18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

As mny have mentioned the parts are much more challenging than you'd normally get in any other band.

I guess one could always practise solos or small ensembles, but that is not as fun as a full band. Reminds me of a brief conversation in the movie American Pie

Jim's Dad: It's like playing a tennis ball against a brick wall, which can be fun. It can be fun, but it's not a game.
    Jim: Right.
    Jim's Dad: It's not a game.
    Jim: No.
    Jim's Dad: What you want is a partner to return the ball.

(I can only assume he meant its more fun to have a full band than to play by yourself)
  19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

JDH, you need an extra category....

"Because I'm a Band Tart"

20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

How could you say such a thing Will!!!

I'd take ou to tMP court over remarks like that, but I fear the evidence may be overwhelmingly against me :S