Why Do We Do What We Do????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by IckleSop, Nov 18, 2004.

1. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Looking at comments from people on some of the threads it sometimes makes me wonder why people even bother!!!! People moaning and arguing over pointless things, am i being too harsh???

Why do you play in a brass band, if you dont enjoy it?? or have i just seen people in bad moods
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I think sometimes people are more likely to come and post after a bad rehearsal/concert/contest/event/thingummybob. After a good rehearsal/etc we are less likely to come online and start a "Woohoo this was great!" thread. It's just human nature.

I think we (mostly) all love what we do and that is why we come here to share. I might be wrong, I'm told it might happen someday ;)
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

I personally enjoy playing in my band. If i didnt i wouldnt spend £10 on train fares a week just to go to half the rehearsals and not to mention the actual time it takes (in usually lose at least a day) in travelling. My friends at uni all think im crazy, welll i am, but nevermind!
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I know what you mean...

People complain when something does happen.... or doesnt happen.... and then people complain that people are complaining.... and so it goes on....

Over passionate? Not passionate enough?

Who knows....

who cares....

That's what the forum is about... else it would be boring I guess...

5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I love playing, whether in the band or on my own. I must admit I get frustrated sometimes with my own playing and that of the band but Brass banding is a great genre of music.

I heard BAYV last evening give a fabulous (charity) concert at Canton SA and would love to play with a band of that standard.....(open to offers)!
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I think you're right that people are more likely to post on here after a bad gig. When we do a good gig we go to the pub and get rampageous, therefore no need to post. When we do a bad one and everyone's in a mood we go our separate ways. Those of us who have non-banding spouses don't really have anyone else to complain to!
    While EvilDaddyBadger is the light of my life he doesn't like brass bands (in spite of being a Yorkshireman) and can't truly sympathise.

In my case it's either post on tMP or kick the (non-existant) cat.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

When all is said and done its just fun to blow to blow my horn for a few hours...

I'll through in a quote from American Pie as a reference:
    "Jim's Dad: It's like playing a tennis ball against a brick wall, which can be fun, it can be fun. But it's not a game
    Jim: right
    Jim's Dad: It's not a game
    Jim: No
    Jim's Dad: What you want is a partner to return the ball "

Practicing by oneself is fun...but its really nice to have some partners.

It's also fun to chat with friends that share an interets with you at the pub afterwards.
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Especially when they're realy nice people, like certain individuals who made a fool of themselves at concerts by incorrectly droping the countdown numbers in Thunderbirds...
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's what you get for giving something important to the solo horn to do.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hehe, i know! Hey! I got the little solo in Danny Boy almost correct.... (I blame the arranger... :p)
  11. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

And just think how many potential partners there are in a band:-D

As to the subject in hand, I think the reasoning has been fairly well established already - trying to explain to most people the lifestyle of a bandsman (or musician in general, for those of us without a band) is almost impossible - If I come home and tell someone that my second man can't get their tongue working quick enough - a lot of people might not understand!
    Even my closest friends (who aren't musical - there are a couple of them) really have no comprehension about what it is I do. They can't understand why I am out every weekend, why I don't get home until late most nights of the week (a combination of rehearsals and teaching) - at least on here, people understand.

Well, some of them do, sometimes.

I also post on threads where I think I have something constructive to offer. I have a slightly different outlook on brass playing to many - it is my job. I have done quite a bit of banding (and enjoyed it), but am currently out of the scene - too much work to allow me to commit to a band.