Why do we do it?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kofi, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Kofi

Kofi Member

Can some of you maybe share the aims and objectives of your band? By this I mean anything from a 'mission statement', purpose as set out in your constitution, or your own personal beliefs on why those of us who take a lead in running our bands do it?

Hope I'm making sense. I had a look on the SBBA site and the BFBB, and maybe I just missed it, but I was hoping to see some words on there about the direction that we're all heading in.

Cheers in advance folks :)
  2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

This is dead easy for us; taken directly from THQ :

To bring glory to God and to​
    make him known
  3. Edd

Edd New Member

for fun!
    Why else?
    for us, its just the pure fact that we enjoy it :)
  4. I do it primarily because I love brass bands. I also think it is a terrific accessible platform for composers. I would say our mission is to support and maintain the traditional heritage of the brass band movement by playing an active role in promoting and creating opportunities for all walks of life to experience banding.
  5. Kofi

Kofi Member

Okay, that all makes sense. Particularly the part about doing it because we love it... I've loved doing it for 24 years and I am more enthusiastic now than ever.

How do you measure the success of your band? How do you know that things are going well? If you were to have the best 3 years possible, what would your band be like at the end of it all and what would the members have gained through the process?

The reason I'm asking what might appear as stupid questions is that we are looking at our constitution and to my mind it is a bit outdated. When we go to foundations asking for money, it would be good to have a clear statement of what we are about and what they are supporting us to achieve. I have written out a draft statement on our aims and objectives, our approach, and what individuals gain by being part of our band. I'm hoping that someone gives me a wee gem of a line that hasn't crossed my mind so far.

Cheers again!
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have to agree with P_S_Price, but even then I beleive you have to enjoy doing it, otherwise it becomes a duty, And then you have problems with getting people turning up.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Central Ohio Brass Band mission statement is on their website "To promote the Brass Band tradition through excellent artistic and educational performances for musicians and communities."
  8. Playabit

Playabit Member

I do it to get away from the wife...pure and simple, a lot cheaper than a divorce...lol..
  9. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Many years ago I was a member of the Billingsgate Fish Market Silver Band.

Our mission was to bring glory to cod.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

They should get in touch with bands in Indiana - their commitment to cod stretches so far that they display "In cod we trust" on their car registration plates.
  11. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Thats the 'Official' SA Mission statement for SA Bands.

Its not however the only reason I play. I enjoy playing too.
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Just checked Wakey Met's website and we don't really have a mission statement.

As a personal statement for myself only, it would be something like:

To enjoy playing music I in a band I like.
    To write/arrange music I want to hear.
    To never do either of the above for any reason other than the love of it.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I enjoy playing as well, but sometimes feel there are many SA bandsmen - not so much women - who join the band because they feel it is expected of them, with little motivation for self-improvement and raising the overall standards.
  14. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I find the same here. It becomes frustrating that we end up getting nowhere because we get pulled back as a band.
    better a band of 15 who want to play and improve than a band of 40 doing it because they think they should.
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I play in bands because I enjoy it, it's a good way to keep my lip in, it's great for the varity of music we get to play, the sociability, the meeting of new friends. Nothing to do with imaginary friends..........

16. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Bands of 40 in the SA? Not much here in the UK anymore.

Most Corps would love to have a band of 15 too!
  17. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

the Band I play in had 40 players eight years ago. we are closer to 25-30 these days. But it is hard to get commitment out of all the Band these days. You turn up and you only have 1 Bass out of 4 or you don't have a solo cornet player out of a bench of about 5 or 6. It is hard to work with out a horn section. Hard for a leader to know what to put on the stands because you don't know who will turn up.
    that is the reality we are working with at the moment.
  18. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Don't most of us have our parents to thank?
    I remember my dad buying a couple of records (Morris Motors/GUS Footwear Band) and I was immediately hooked by the unique beauty of the brass band sound.
    Finding a local band was fairly easy in the early 70's - and the rest is....etc!
    Even back then, it was not appreciated by my non-playing friends, but as a foundation for mutual respect, trust and teamwork, as well as development towards musical excellence, there's little to beat it for a young or developing brass player. (I'm still striving for the latter, in my 50's !!):wink:
  19. Kofi

Kofi Member

Thanks for your input people, can't say I disagree with anything!

Our band is going great guns just now, I had a tour rehearsal last night with 38 players. There were about a dozen key players missing due to work, illness, uni etc but the good thing was that most had said in advance they wouldn't make it.

Anyway, I came up with a statement of purpose for a funding app that I did (it asked for one) and it came back successful. This is the opening statement, which I have since elaborated on in my quest to create a healthy working relationship with the local authority.

As with the rest of you, the reason I continue to put so much effort into the band is that I absolutely love it, and the people in the band are fantastic :)

"The purpose of our organisation is to provide opportunities for local young musicians to perform brass music beyond school provision and make music a hobby for life. We offer the opportunity for players to perform locally, compete nationally, and travel internationally whilst promoting traditional brass bands and supporting local charities, organisations and events."