Why do we do it

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by daveredhead, May 16, 2005.

1. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Why do we do contests, for local and minor contests (Nationals excluded) yesterday I left my house at 1100hrs, drove to nearly Weston Super Mare, rehearsal at 14-30 one hour, drove to weston, Draw at 16-30 played at 19-15. stayed till results, we came 4th, out of six, (Sop player mentioned in despatches) drove home , arrived 2300hrs, lovely day(weather wise) highlight of day, Met Mumsie and Vickitorious,(Made my day) could not inbibe, due to driving and not having played, , WHY do we do it, I felt a day passed me by,not argueing about result, just long day, OK we all decided to go, but WHY , or is that just banding, to get better, or i am on the wrong thread, got that off my chest, any comments
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Because we love it!!!!!! Get a band coach much more fun!!!!!!!!!
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Blimey fella, some decent punctuation wouldn't go amiss!! I feel like I have a sugar rush on having read that!!

We do it because that's what bandings all about and we love it.

One question is raised from this little tale tho...

Has anyone (and I mean ANYONE) been to a contest this year without meeting Mumsie and Vickitorious?!?!?!? They're like your regular contest anoraks aren't they?!?!?

Going to a brass band contest??..Prepare to be Dinie'd/Vickitorious'd!!!!!! :tongue:
  4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I haven't met them!! But I can't wait to be Dinie'd/Vickitorious'd!! I'll feel like a proper member of tMP then. ;)

Back to topic.

Banding wouldn't be banding without these crazy days spent at contests. Our last couple of areas & when we went to Harrogate, we had rehearsal at 7am. So, in the case of Blackpool this year, I got up at 5.30 & left the house after getting showered & fed, at 6.30. Walked to where we were rehearsing which got me there for 6.58!! (give or take a few mins). The coach left for Blackpool at 8.00 & got there for just before 9.00 ready for the drawer. We played around 12.00 & results were at 3.30. Coach left at 4.00 so the band got back (not me!!) at 5.00. I was very naughty & stayed in Blackpool & got a lift back with those very nice people from Flixton. Ended up going for a curry when we got back so I arrived home at 1.20am. Now that's what you call a contest day!! :biggrin:
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

You're not a true tMPer untill you've been HBB'd! :D
  6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'm more inclined to ask myself that when unloading timps off a coach at 3 a.m. in the rain in winter after a long distance gig.
  7. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Well, i dont know what im doing wrong!

I havent met them:frown:
  8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

us being in the north west area, and them in the midlands, i wouldnt expect to see them at our contests! most of them are more than 100miles from where they are :(
  9. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Thanks for that girlie!

You never know though, when they could be learking behind you in the Queue for the bar!!!
  10. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Because we are all nutcases about banding that's why!

Which is why I'm looking forward to doing a full day's work on Thursday 9th June, going home and feeding the children, going to band for a 2 hour rehearsal, going to the pub (naturally) for an hour, going BACK to the band room to load up the coach and then driving for the next 16 hours or so to France to take part in a competition on the Saturday. Probably stay up all night Saturday and then drive for another 16 hours or so back to Blighty!

Blimey, just realised, I won't see a bed between Wednesday and Friday night ..........NURSE!!!
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This seems a very pertinent subject in that we had a discussion at our committee last night about our band entering contests. Bear in mind that the band has not contested since the early 1960s but did attend the Crystal Palace and Belle Vue contests in the 1920s to 1950s.

A part from the obvious delights of meeting Vickie and Dinnie (who I have met at contests when not playing) just what is it that is so good about contesting? Many people will know my personal views on the contesting issue (no problems with people who want to do it just not keen on my band doing it). This question remained unanswered at our committee last night so as tMP has a majority of contesting players would someone care to give me the pros?
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... in my opinion, the contesting buzz has just as much to do with playing off each other's tensions (obvious or not) as well as meeting up with old friends, sharing a drink and listening to other bands. In short, add gamesmanship to the allure! :rolleyes:
  14. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

ditto... even worse when ur still a half hour or more drive away from home when u get back to the bandroom :(
  15. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

I can certainly relate to that one ! :lol:

Maybe I should take up the Piccolo.... hmmmmm
  16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I remember doing a CISWO contest in blackpool where the band bus was meant to leave at 3.30 in the morning, thats right 3.30AM!! However the bus was about an hour late, got to blackpool about 10.30ish (i think) played, came straight off stage and then back on the bus home....this is one experience I NEVER want to repeat.

Went to Yorkshire and NW area's this year, just to listen, left my flat in the morning didn't get back til gone midnight...long days!
  17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Experience? So that, come the Nationals, it's a familiar process, and the band can (hopefully) concentrate on playing, and not worry about registration, strange venue, audience or the presence of an adjudicator?

Pride? On that day, we were the best band in the contest/our section/the bar?

Because concerts, fetes and gala days eventually become a bit boring, and we need a fresh challenge?

Or maybe because we all need our heads examined..... ;)
  18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well i have met them at Midlands area this year but Vikki helped our band out last year at a concert:clap: :biggrin:
    Also i was asked how Ratby B had played by them as the 4th section had finished as i did the NOTES for the 4th section for tmp.:biggrin:
    They are a great team and also nice to see them at contests when they are not playing with there bands, but i did not see them at Buxton:( .
  19. persins

persins Member

I've not knowingly met them yet either but I have had a couple of people come up to me at the Grand shield saying they recognised me from here!!!
    It is always nice to meet people like that, unless they are carrying a bat or something!!!

Onto the subject of contests, I might have to second a number of views such as:

we love it;
    get a coach;
    Play better and win it;

but generally,

MORE BEER!!!
  20. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think we do it because we love it really. No matter how much moaning is done at times!! Banding really is a way of life and it certainly becomes part of who you are. That is something that is difficult to give up!