Why do soprano players never own their own instruments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kjata, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Kjata

Kjata Member

I am getting a new soprano soon, but this does beg the question why do soprano player never have their own instruments, including some of the best soprano players around??
    Are we the only members who don't bother to buy are own instruments? Surely it would be more benifictial to have an instrument that we are familar with and has not been passed down 100's of people?
    Discuss!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Schilkie
    Courtois
    bands Schilkie
    bands Xeno
    soprano players
  3. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

edit: I thought about it and realised I was getting muddled up

4. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Based on my experience I would have to say that certain soprano players have enough of a problem keeping their bedrooms tidy. The planning and organising of resources necessary for the purchase of such an expensive item is surely beyond the capabilities of most of these very special people.....

5. Kjata

Kjata Member

I am a soprano and we are soo not badly orginised lol!! ;)

6. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Come and tidy Mog's bedroom then.....

7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Mark has his own in our band (and a Bb cornet as well I think).
    I would have thought most sop players would have their own and it would be the Bass players who don`t due to the prices of a good one?
    I have my own flugel but then I am a spoilt woman, Himself bought it for me.

8. Kjata

Kjata Member

No I have a problem with authority lol!! ;)

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

All the soprano players i've met except 1 own their own instrument...

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think the real question is...

Is the player a "soprano player" or a "cornet player playing soprano?"

I've met quite a few of both. All of the former own their own sopranos, whilst most of the latter use a band horn.

11. jim

jim Member

Most I know have had there own, but it depends on the person finacialy and if they are happy to play on a band instrument. The state of the sop my band own is a right state and must be 20 years old welded together needless to say the last two sop players have had there own.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Schilkie
    Courtois
    bands Schilkie
    bands Xeno
    soprano players
  13. sop 1

sop 1 Member

I have owned my own sop for about 2 years now and wouldnt have it any other way!! :biggrin:

14. sop 1

sop 1 Member

lol yes it is rubbish Jim!
    U should have seen the stuff that came out of it when i washed it out :rolleyes:

15. Kjata

Kjata Member

Yes that's exactly my point Paul, you are in flowers and have only had your own sop for 2 years ie fairly recently!!

16. sop 1

sop 1 Member

yea wasnt in the position to afford one,but Normans had a great offer on at the time :D

17. Kjata

Kjata Member

Did you try the instrument before you bought it (i assume it's a shilke)??

18. sop 1

sop 1 Member

I was very lucky that i know Iwan Fox of 4barsrest very well and he got Normans to send me a Xeno to try for a couple of weeks,but didnt like it,so went up there amd tried my schilke and bought it on theyre 0% intrest free deal (have always played Schilke's)

19. Kjata

Kjata Member

Yes I prefer shilkes, that's part of the reason why I want one, I'm currently playing on the cortois which has a few tuning problems, which I don't remember having when I playe a shilke a couple of years ago. Middle register is flat, what it's like on the shilke?

20. sop 1

sop 1 Member

its a little flat but manageable,really good soprano's :clap:

21. Kjata

Kjata Member

I can't wait to get my own now!! :)

22. David Mann

David Mann Member

I've got my own and don't even play regularly with a band. Mind you, I am a bit of a squirrel when it comes to musical instruments. In my 10 x 10 "office" as well as desk and filing cabinet, I have (deep breath)..

A piano
    Bass guitar + amp
    Electronic keyboard
    Trombone
    Sop
    Trumpet
    Bugle
    Ukulele
    Concertina
    Practice drum pad + sticks
    and some other random shaky and squeaky things.